Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The forum is 'leaking' (backslashes make a comeback)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon The forum is 'leaking' (0)  
As you should be able to observe in the header if you're using Firefox 2 or Internet Explorer 7 (most likely all the other browsers too), the ' symbol displays itself as \' in the title window. This is a waste of good characters, we must combat this flood of backslashes at once!

Having said that, it is by far better than " coming out by its ascii code. Thanks for that Schik. :)

[Last edited by NiroZ at 11-01-2007 10:00 AM]
11-01-2007 at 09:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
icon Re: The forum is "leaking' (0)  
I can confirm that this happens on Safari too.

11-01-2007 at 09:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: The forum is 'leaking' (+3)  
I'm afraid this is my fault.

You see, we have a couple of jars for punctuation in the back rooms of Caravel's offices, along with some spare rank points, some binders with the ideas people in Schenectady keep sending us, Erik's busted old bicycle, the artist, some test roaches and a few other things.

The punctuation is useful for putting the DROD server through its paces. Slashes are useful for turning important characters like < and > into text instead of being treated special, and they can also be used to rip out great chunks of the site in case it's looking a little bit dodgy. Stars are useful for password checking. The < signs are useful for doing new features for the site, as are .s, ()s and :s. (We usually mix these together.)

So I'm answering some support requests and Schik calls me over. He's tinkering deep in the bowels of the DROD server, giving it an oil change, installing some rank points, and he asks me for the ., (, ) and : jar. I get up and go over and grab a jar, and underneath the jar there's this whole colony of roaches. Mike had them out for the 3.1 release, and we were in such a hurry he didn't put the lid back on and they'd started to breed. I jumped back in surprise and hit the bike, which clattered to the floor and started our artist whimpering. I had some sympathy for him - I mean, Erik doesn't pay health insurance for new employees - and so I go over to give him a pat and a crust when he jumps at me and knocks the jar right out of my hands - which fell straight into the server and shattered.

I'd mistaken the \s for (s and )s, and now they'd gotten all into the server, and there was glass everywhere so we couldn't go through and pull them out.

So that's why highscores are screwy and the server keeps wavering on and off. The \s got into the highscore checking code and gummed up the works, and every time the sun comes up, the roaches scurry over the power cables and short them out.

So, yeah, sorry about that.

11-01-2007 at 10:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: The forum is 'leaking' (+2)  
Rogue \s: it's what's inside that counts.

11-01-2007 at 10:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: The forum is 'leaking' (0)  
Backslash inside?

11-01-2007 at 02:42 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 2334
Can the jars with rank points accidentally "leak" over to me?
11-01-2007 at 06:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
The other common nickname I use on Teh Intarwebs happens to be "Leak" - so I herewith declare in advance that I was neither involved in the creation of TCB's Briar nor do I have anything to do with that backslash leak. :D

Not that anyone is going to believe me, as usual... :P

np: Prefuse 73 - Female Demands (One Word Extinguisher)

11-01-2007 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Well, I don't see why anyone would blame you, Briareos, so your post is redundant. Also, your suspicious denial in the face of not even a shred of proof indicates that you did indeed have something to do with it, unless of course your intention was to make it look that way to clear you of all charges by way of ironic reversal, which your additional comment that noone will believe you does seem to indicate. However, I see through your twisted logic, Briareos, and I slash it back at you with a backslash of guilt! You are guilty! So guilty that you didn't even bat an eyelid at letting poor Matt take the blame in your stead*! Will noone think of the bats!

* ie, very guilty indeed.

11-01-2007 at 09:38 PM
Briareos
Mr. Tritter, is that you?

(You couldn't have been watching the same two episodes of House that were back-to-back on TV today, right? :D)

np: Prefuse 73 - Mud In Your Mouth (Security Screenings)

11-01-2007 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
No, never watched any House (well, seen the "horror" movies of the same name). Man, half the times I come up with something people keep saying I'm referring to this or that that I've never seen/heard/played/etc.. and when I do refer to something, noone notice. Heh.

11-01-2007 at 09:57 PM
Briareos
trick wrote:
No, never watched any House (well, seen the "horror" movies of the same name).
Hey, I didn't think I'd be watching a hospital show anytime soon either. But there was that DVD with the first episode of "Dr. House" (as House MD is called here) for just 2 EYPO and, well, I kinda got addicted by that one-time fix - not as bad as the show's lead, though... :D

Highly recommended - and it was kinda funny seeing Hugh Laurie in a Blackadder episode on BBC Prime a few days ago... :)

11-01-2007 at 10:17 PM
Bingbing
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: The forum is 'leaking' (+1)  
Nay! This was no mere 'accident'. I specifically saw Mike feeding the roaches with "Roach Grow", causing the population to spike upwards. I suspect he is going to seed the website with them.

Or was it "Roach Be-Gone"? It was hard to read from a distance.

11-24-2007 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : The forum is 'leaking' (backslashes make a comeback)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com