Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (Candidates declare themseves!)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon Re: Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (+1)  
calamarain wrote:
What will you do to guard against the more negative influences on the forum? Obviously, those who are new need to be welcomed and treated understandingly, but there are also those who behave just plain obnoxiously. What will be done to deal with the latter group?
In my Department of Benevolent Influence we will do nothing! Yes, you heard right, we will do nothing. Judging by some of the candidates replies so far, it seems like this department could end up being some sort of secret police force rather than the force for good that it has the potential to become. One thing that this forum does well, is police itself, and I want to see that continue. It will do no-one good if we get to a situation where apathy sets in and everyone relies on the department to fix the problems.
My department will concentrate more on the good that we can do for the forum. We will celebrate achievements of players and architects alike. We will monitor and celebrate the good work of all our forum members and encourage participation from everyone.
For too long our only major annual celebration has been the deadlies. Yes, the architects deserve to be celebrated, but what about everyone else? We will take notice and ensure nothing goes unnoticed.

I would be interested to hear how the other candidates intend to appoint people to the required positions in their department.
In my department, anyone appointed to the post of recognizer will only hold the post for a set amount of time, and at that point a new member will have the opportunity to take the position.
As for the Missioner, I will be hand picking the person for this role from those who show an interest. I have been around here long enough to have a good idea of who can be trusted to carry out this job well. I also won't hesitate to remove someone from this position if I see even the slightest sign of abuse. To this end I will also be carefully monitoring all missions carried out under the name of my department.

And in case anyone is wondering, yes, I am running for the job ;)

Steve.
11-04-2007 at 11:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Jatopian wrote:
Tim wrote:
Actually, I'm also thinking about it.

Yes, I know I'm way to busy right now, and together with my involement in other Departments is probably not a good idea.
Not to mention being, y'know, not allowed, unless you want to give up all positions in other departments upon election. Thus sayeth The Rules.
Thanks for the warning. (Just mod you up.)

But this time, I'm going to run for it. Most of my life I've been doing things that other people told me to. This time it's different.

-- Tim

11-04-2007 at 10:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (0)  
Okay, the candidates I have are...

* Elfstone
* StephenForLouse
* Tim

Maurog didn't say if he was honestly running, so I'm leaving him out. His last reply skirted a direct answer to the question, maybe purposefully. I don't hold anything against him--he just didn't provide clarification, and I only want committed candidates in the poll.

-Erik

11-05-2007 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Tim wrote:
But this time, I'm going to run for it. Most of my life I've been doing things that other people told me to. This time it's different.
Tim, just so you know, there's no problem with you running for the director spot. If you win, then you'll need to find a replacement for your Forum Reporter position before taking on director duties.

-Erik

11-05-2007 at 01:20 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Being mean here: I'm honestly kind of glad Maurog's not running. There's plenty of things I think he'd be suited for, but this isn't really one of them.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 11-05-2007 10:02 AM]
11-05-2007 at 09:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Just to let you know that I'm back; not feeling all that good at the moment - the aneasthetic knocked me for six and my throat is so sore eating is difficult. I will try to put some coherent thoughts together today.

11-05-2007 at 11:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Nope, you are wrong. I'm perfect for the job and you all know it. But the thing is, it's just way too much responsibility for my taste... not because I can't handle it, but because I don't want to. It means constantly thinking of new ideas to improve the forum and people's experience in it, finding people that can bring these ideas to life in the best way, convincing them to do it, and constantly monitoring this unreliable mass of humans for things going wrong. It's either gonna be too much management work or doing a sloppy job, and I'm just too awesome to do either.

I don't believe Erik almost convinced me to run for this position seriously.

You can have your Bureaucracy, I'm sticking to my original plan of having no part of it.

11-05-2007 at 11:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Maurog wrote:
You can have your Bureaucracy, I'm sticking to my original plan of having no part of it.
You could take up my idea of founding the Dept of Malevolent Influence? :P

11-05-2007 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I like how Maurog's post disproves its own first point.

11-05-2007 at 11:33 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
I'm aware that I have lost touch to some extent with the discussion here over the last week. I was drafting this reply on the evening before I went into hospital and I'm going to post it anyway. I will read the subsequent conversations and answer them as soon as I can. I'm going to use secret tags simply to save space.

My thanks for the expressions of support! I will try as best I can to answer some of the points/questions raised here. Bear in mind though, that this whole venture - The Bureaucracy - is new to all of us; we are all feeling our way into this. It might be wise also to remember Erik’s comment: “This is a tricky department to pull off . . .”

Let me first address CSR’s questions. “how do you plan to ensure that the Department acts within its goals”
Click here to view the secret text

That leads me to your second question: “how do you plan to fill the required positions”

Your final question, “what optional positions (if any) you feel are necessary”

I would like to pick up on Josh’s postings re “obnoxious behaviour”.

I dislike ending on a negative note. I hope very much that if I am elected I can move the perception of this Department away from one of policing the occasional pests, (which seems to be concerning people most at the moment) to something closer to Erik’s description of it: “DoBI will handle activities that make the forum more enjoyable, but don’t have a tangible result to them like a contest or a hold.” The problem is that if I start mentioning specicfic ways in which that might be done I will possibly be stealing any amount of thunder and that would be no fun at all!

11-07-2007 at 09:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
I declare my candidacy.

11-09-2007 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Snacko wrote:
I declare my candidacy.
You are a week too late.

-Erik

11-09-2007 at 07:50 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Director of Department of Benevolent Influence (Candidates declare themseves!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com