Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Pleeeaaase Help me !!!!!!!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
IP: Logged
icon Pleeeaaase Help me !!!!!!! (0)  
I created a new WinXP problem today. And can't find the solution to it.

It all began here:

I have two sound cards in my PC. The first one is onboard and it is quite a lot better than the other one, except it can't play midi files in dos. Thatswhy i intalled another soundcard that is quite old. It ran fine for a few weeks. In Win98 the system sounds are played by the new card. and my dosgames accept the old one(that's fine). But i realized today that when playing a windows game in WinXP that plays midis and waves. The midi files areplayed by the old card and the wave files are played by the new card(Can't listen to both a time). Also winamp plays wave file with one card and midi files with the other one. So i thought that it might be a problem with the options WinXP provides. The newer card only has a software synthisizer, but this one sounds much better than any hardware solution i've seen, so thats ok. In theese options i saw that the midi file was played with this sw synthisizer but the waves produced by it are being played by the wrong card. I didn't found any option to corect this because the standard device in all other options is the NEW soundcard. So i deactivated the old soundcard in the Hardware Manager. As a result winXp wanted to reboot. After the reboot i didn't hear the start sound and wondered why.

Now:

I reinstalled, deinstalled , installed every drive of the two soundcards. And winXP says that all theese cards and codecs an gamports are ready to use. But at the multimedia option it says that there are no audio systems available. I even deleted the files in system32\\drivers\\ directory that are created when installing the drivers before installing them again. Nothing, i can't get it working again.

If anyone knows how to uninstall all drivers please tell me how.
If anyone knows how to fix my problem, please tell me.

:~( :(

-> noman

12-09-2003 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Pleeeaaase Help me !!!!!!! (0)  
The only thing I can suggest at first is to try to do what you are doing in Safe Mode. Sometimes stuff gets loaded on startup that you don't want loaded, so Safe Mode is necessary to really get rid of or install something. I know that there are people who only install new video drivers in Safe Mode, for example.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-09-2003 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
With XP, it might be worth a try to shut down, physically remove the cards from the computer, reboot, shut down again, and re-install the cards.

Obviously, only if you're comfortable doing this...

12-10-2003 at 05:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
Its pretty hard to remove an on board sound card.
12-10-2003 at 06:25 AM
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
Pfft! I say if you aren't prepared to pull out the soldering iron you shouldn't be tinkering around back there.

:D

Matt

12-10-2003 at 10:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Heh... that'll teach me to read more carefully. :)

12-10-2003 at 01:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
The memories are hazy now, but at one point I was having problems with conflicts between my onboard sound and my modem, of all things. I knew this because when I would boot my computer I would get a "hiccup" in the starting sound when my modem was activated, but it sounded perfectly normal when the modem was deactivated. Also, games would crash more often when the modem was activated. Eventually purchasing a new modem (and later switching to a cable modem) solved the problem. However, I also remember that one of the things I tried was to go into the BIOS and switch off Plug n' Play, at the advice of some website. I don't think it worked exactly like I wanted it to...but something happened.

So, this is pretty bad advice...research fooling with the BIOS before you try anything...but there might be a conflict on the most basic level of the computer.

Also, when I upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP I had lots of problems. I finally had to do a full install of Windows XP to get everything to work. I can't tell if you upgraded or are dual booting, but that could be the source of your problems too.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-10-2003 at 03:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
squeekie
Rank Points: 140
Have you gone into Device Manager and remove all soundcard references and then reboot and let Windows reinstall? You can right click on soundcard in Device Manager and select properties, driver and roll back or update driver by directing Windows to the driver file. Also you can disable onboard soundcard by going into set up on startup ( hit delete key on boot)On my computer it's in the Integrated Periferials.

[Edited by squeekie on 12-12-2003 at 04:38 AM GMT]

12-12-2003 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
My advice: Take out the old sound board altogether and just use VDMSound to run your old DOS stuff. It's much safer than tinkering with your computer's hardware. Just make sure that you download the GUI configuration utility while you're at it, otherwise it won't quite work properly. I think the site is currently down, but you can still get the files off SourceForge.

12-16-2003 at 09:46 PM
noman
Rank Points: 104
Well, thanks for all these advices. Actually none of them did help me to solve my problem. Anyway in the end i reinstalled WinXP 2 times without any changes(can't explain why). But then i found a Norton Ghost image of an older XP Installation on a CD. Well i had ro reinstall new graphiccard drivers and a new networkcard driver and of course all the Programs i had installed before my unlucky day. But it's running again. And now i can even play wav's and midi's on the same card. And i can still play "BLOOD" with the older soundcard.

I've learned my lesson: "Never touch a running system on a PC with any windows installed" and: "Never touch a partially running system on a PC with WinXP installed.

kind regards
->noman :) :)

12-18-2003 at 08:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Pleeeaaase Help me !!!!!!!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com