Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Grouped questions from a newbie gaining enthusiastic (WQ 4.0 fails when toggling user. Text translation suggested. General Help availability. Scroll info gone now. Quest purpose. Change text dislay delay.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
aschwarzie
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
IP: Logged

File: Scroll.jpg (4.2 KB)
Downloaded 194 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Grouped questions from a newbie gaining enthusiastic (+1)  
Hi all !
If that's okay, I'd like to group a few questions here around playing with WQ ?

1) I installed the Beta WQ update (4.0) for Dreams (though I'm still with Master of Orion, Level 2). However, switching between users now systematically throws WQ away (screen goes completely white then crashes, which gets caught by WinXP+SP2) :(
As a workaround, I turns out that when I toggle the sound off in the Config.ini file (by setting SOUND to 0) then I am able again to switch between users. Is there a possibility to toggle sound/music from *inside* WQ's option panel or else ? Is this maybe a known bug (didn't have that with WQ 3.2) ? Is there maybe a fix for this problem ?

2) My kids start to love this game too now but they dont speak any english (yet ;) ) as we're non native english speakers, and I was hoping to translate the game's text. I incidently found the MOH.dat file which seems to contain all the text in english :w00t so it it okay if I replace the content of this file by my own translation in french ? Of course, I'd be very happy to share it with others ! Eeeeeh, is WQ going doing the multi-lingual path at any time ? O:-

3) I haven't found any way to use the 'Special' key : is that explained somewhere in any documentation ? More generally speaking, is there an overall game documentation (aside from the Heroes Info and Editor Help) ?

4) Since version 4.0 of WQ, hovering the mouse (current weapon) above the "Scroll" (?) displays always the same text: "Displays useless information", while in the previous version (3.2) it was occasionally providing useful hints. What happened here ? Is that somehting I can correct or is that working as designed ?

5) I'm not sure I understood if going through the various places (and levels) you're supposed to accumulate goods/ treasures/ powers/ hidden things, etc... or to what extent going through the "secret" places adds any value/benefit. Is there a global purpose to the Quest ? (apart from the great fun, of course) :lol

6) Can I change the delay during which any text is displayed on screen ? It typically is too short (for non native speaking folks, I mean :P )

Thanks for your patience, support and advice ! :)

[Last edited by aschwarzie at 10-20-2007 10:07 PM]
10-20-2007 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Grouped questions from a newbie gaining enthusiastic (0)  
aschwarzie wrote:
3) I haven't found any way to use the 'Special' key : is that explained somewhere in any documentation ? More generally speaking, is there an overall game documentation (aside from the Heroes Info and Editor Help) ?
Starting on about level 9 or 10, you gain the ability to do special moves that require resources (wood, food, water, rope). Usually, one of the specials there uses that key, and the others are done automatically.

By the way, I like the idea of a translation for it. It's always nice to widen the audience.

But I can't see why hovering over a scroll would have shown different text. Perhaps it used to be glitched into displaying what it displays when you stand on it?

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 10-20-2007 09:55 PM]
10-20-2007 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
aschwarzie
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
Kwakstur wrote:
By the way, I like the idea of a translation for it. It's always nice to widen the audience.
Fair enough ! I'll work on that one and share the translation :-)

Kwakstur wrote:
But I can't see why hovering over a scroll would have shown different text. Perhaps it used to be glitched into displaying what it displays when you stand on it?
If my memory doesn't betray me, I think that was what I could read indeed in the earlier version. A happy glitch I would say ! :lol:

[Last edited by aschwarzie at 10-20-2007 10:04 PM]
10-20-2007 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
And as a response to number 6, the text disappears too fast even for native English speakers. ;)

I'm surprised nobody's ever brought it up before, actually.

10-20-2007 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
6 never seemed to be a problem for me even with the lengthy text of the balls/heroes.
10-21-2007 at 04:48 AM
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
2) My kids start to love this game too now but they dont speak any english (yet ) as we're non native english speakers, and I was hoping to translate the game's text. I incidently found the MOH.dat file which seems to contain all the text in english so it it okay if I replace the content of this file by my own translation in french ? Of course, I'd be very happy to share it with others ! Eeeeeh, is WQ going doing the multi-lingual path at any time ?

That's priceless, aschwarzie.
One hint:
If you think the blood effect is too violent for your kids, go to Main menu->Options, and uncheck the "show red blood" option.
Have fun.
10-30-2007 at 11:56 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Grouped questions from a newbie gaining enthusiastic (WQ 4.0 fails when toggling user. Text translation suggested. General Help availability. Scroll info gone now. Quest purpose. Change text dislay delay.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com