Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Maximum number of monsters?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Maximum number of monsters? (0)  
I remember in Level 21 Twice South, under Webfoot, I actually saw the game stop making new Roaches, presumably because the monster limit had been reached. I've since gotten much better at the room, and no longer take nearly that long to finish it, but is the limit still there?

12-06-2003 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Maximum number of monsters? (0)  
As far as I know, there is a limit to the certain number of spawned babies a queen can have in the room at one time - therefore, more queens = higher capacity. I think the limit is probably still there - even though it's unrealistic. Monsters are supposed to be mindless beings, even brains, because all they can do is direct monsters to Beethro. So why should a queen stop spawing?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-06-2003 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
There is currently no limit to the number of monsters (including spawnables) in a room. There was a limit in Webfoot, but it was removed for Caravel because its easier for a player to predict, instead of:

"Hey, why did they stop spawning? What did I do?"

I'm pretty sure that several of the rooms in Dugan's Dungeon were re-tested when the change was made to make sure they weren't broken.
12-06-2003 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I like that better, anyways (see above). ;)

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-06-2003 at 07:32 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
The limit is actually 1215 monsters in a room. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong!

-Erik

12-07-2003 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Well, I just did the math, and you're wrong. Maximum number of monsters is 1212, since in order for it to happen Beethro must be standing in a corner and surrounded by walls, or else he'll die before it happens. :P

12-07-2003 at 05:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Maybe you couldn't *complete* a room with 1215 monsters, but it could be created. Actually, you could complete a room that has 1215 monsters before Beethro steps into it, as long as he kills two of them upon stepping in.

12-07-2003 at 05:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
I'm sticking with 1215, and here's how I do it...
Click here to view the secret text

-Erik

12-07-2003 at 06:04 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Ooooh, duh. :?

12-07-2003 at 06:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Click here to view the secret text

:party (Say, what ever happened to the :rvd smiley?)

12-07-2003 at 06:08 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Actually, none of them need to be brains. No-one said that this is the maximum solvable room.

12-07-2003 at 08:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Nobody SAID it, but I think we're all sort of agreeing that it was implied. Booya.

12-07-2003 at 07:46 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
ErikH2000 wrote:
The limit is actually 1215 monsters in a room. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong!

-Erik
It's 1216. The monster Beethro steps onto when entering the room from the adjacent one disappears.

12-07-2003 at 08:29 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, I think that's the difference between whether you're talking about the editor or the game - and since the discussion was about roaches spawning, I think it's the latter - in the editor, you can place 1216 monsters in a room. But in the game, the most monsters a room can have on screen at any given time is 1215.

12-07-2003 at 08:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
That would be a pretty sick and boring room... Must start in the south west corner, only enterable from the west, just press qw 608 times.

... I wonder if I'd add a checkpoint to that room, just for fun

12-08-2003 at 03:27 AM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Macros macros macros! ;)

Also, if you count Beethro as a monster it's possible to have 1216 monsters in-game. I don't think he normally is though.

12-15-2003 at 12:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Maximum number of monsters?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com