Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Checkpoints
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Checkpoints (+1)  
Hello everyone, I just wanted to post and say that I am very pleased with Caravel DROD. I had played Webfoot DROD and gotten to the 3-tar-mother room on level 8, and would invariably die after killing two of them. I just got so frustrated I never came back to the game. But now that there are checkpoints...ah, I finally got to see level 9! And hopefully soon I will be through it. Not too bad so far, although I did have to make a map of that room with the roaches in their little prisons.

Well, I am looking forward to beating the game, and then playing it over again in 3D...by the time I can do that, I am sure it will be well past beta with all the bugs ironed out.

Game on,

The Oneiromancer

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-29-2003 at 07:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
icon Re: Checkpoints (0)  
Hmmm...No one\'s replied to this, so I guess I\'ll have to. Anyway, welcome to the forum Oneiromancer (where\'d you come up with that name?). It\'s nice to see someone who was frustrated and then decided to come back and will probably be a Smitemaster sometime soon. Keep us posted on your progress!

I also like the addition of the checkpoints. Wait until you get to the really hard rooms in the upper levels (or should it be lower levels, since this is a dungeon?). You\'ll be glad the checkpoints are there. I\'d have to say that one of the hardest rooms in the game is lvl 23 1N, and I don\'t want to even think about that room without checkpoints.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
04-11-2003 at 03:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
Hey! If I can do it checkpointless, you can too! The 3 mama level is tougher without checkpoints as well.

04-11-2003 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
I have done all those rooms checkpointless...I just don\'t like to think about the agony of dying when you\'re about to finish the room on your 1000th try.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
04-11-2003 at 03:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Well, I got to level 25 late last week, but I kind of put DROD aside for a while. I don\'t know why, but I do that with a lot of games, especially RPGS. I always put them aside about 3 hours from the end, and then I come back to them a few weeks of months later and just beat them. Very strange, I know.

Malarame, the work Oneiromancer means \"Dream wizard\" in Greek, although it was pribably never used. I got it from Neil Gaiman\'s Sandman comic book series.

Back to DROD, I am quite curious, exactly how smart is the Neather? Are his movements room-specific or is there some other kind of algorithm going on?

And yes, 23 1N was a tough one...I had to look up clues on the hints and solutions board to pass that one. After that, the toughest rooms for me were 23 1E and 1S1W...I just had tons of trouble figuring out getting past those initial force arrows with the eyes and goblin (I did do 1E first, btw). Once I got those, the rest of the level (except for 1N) went by pretty quickly. Oh, and those interconnected tar mother rooms on 24 took me a long time to get myself out of, but I did it eventually. I never thought 24 was that bad, since I could usually see how to solve the room, although doing it without making a mistake was often another matter. Even when I got used to brains, I would get cocky and forget something at a critical moment.

Enough rambling for now, I think.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-15-2003 at 09:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
The \'Neather is room specific, I believe. There are no general rules for his movement patterns.

I\'m surprised you were stuck on L23 1E - that was on the demos in the Webfoot version though, so that probably made it easier for me!

"Oook!"
04-16-2003 at 01:47 PM
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Re: Checkpoints (0)  
krammer wrote:
I\'m surprised you were stuck on L23 1E - that was on the demos in the Webfoot version though, so that probably made it easier for me!

I know, when I solved it I was pretty disgusted with myself too. I mean, I really breezed through a lot of rooms and levels that seem to get lots of complaints on the hints and solutions board, while other rooms gave me more trouble than most other people, probably. I am sure it\'s all in how you approach the puzzle. That one part of 23 1E was just me having trouble mixing together movement kills and rotation kills. Maybe I\'ll make the excuse that as a physicist, I always put my problems either into a translational or a rotational frame of reference, but not both. ;)

Game on,

04-16-2003 at 05:29 PM
easycyan
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I just found out now that if you press "R" to restart twice, you well start at the start of the room where you entered instead of the check point you wen't on.
06-14-2003 at 03:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Yes indeed! Now there is no need to restore from the restore screen...which reminds me...

06-14-2003 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Checkpoints
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com