Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Play demo in drod
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Drodski
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon Play demo in drod (0)  
I downloaded a demo. Now how can I play it in drod.
10-05-2007 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Play demo in drod (+1)  
Restore to the room in question, hit F6, hit "Import" and select the file.

The demo will then appear in your list of demos in the top left...
10-05-2007 at 04:55 PM
Drodski
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: Play demo in drod (0)  
Thank you very much, it works
10-05-2007 at 05:01 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
For future reference, all the special commands for in-game are listed in the keyboard commands section of the in-game help.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

10-06-2007 at 03:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
Okay, for the next question: is there a precise step by step idiot guide for how to watch *someone else's* demo?

Whether this is of a room you haven't completed or haven't reached yet, or indeed a room in a different hold other than the one you're playing currently, or a room in a hold that you don't even have installed but which displays a particular technique that you then wish to apply to your own game?

Specifically, when a demo is attached to a post in this forum, can somebody please detail the EXACT sequence, step by step no matter how trivial it may seem, that is necessary to play it?

Like, not "Import", but HOW to import. In which folder to place the file, or how to make my current copy of DROD (The Second Sky, with all previous "official" holds and Smitemasters Selection holds installed) actually show it.

Example: There are a couple of demos of people killing Slayers in custom-made holds. I don't want to download the hold, or have to go through it myself, I just want to *watch the demo* and learn how to try and apply it into JTRH or TCB.

[Last edited by JLE at 09-04-2015 04:44 AM]
09-04-2015 at 04:40 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
You won't be able to watch a demo without having access to the room that it is played in, whether it is through the game or the editor (and the latter is impossible with official holds as they are set to be editable by the author only). Demo files are merely a series of inputs that lead to the solving of the room; they aren't an actual video file of any sort.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 09-04-2015 04:59 AM]
09-04-2015 at 04:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Play demo in drod (+2)  
JLE wrote:
Specifically, when a demo is attached to a post in this forum, can somebody please detail the EXACT sequence, step by step no matter how trivial it may seem, that is necessary to play it?
Download the file to wherever you want.
Download the hold that the demo is for (if you don't already have it)
Main menu -> Play Game -> Change Location
If you don't have it installed yet, [Import] -> Navigate to where you put the hold, select it, [Okay]
Select the installed hold. [Okay]
You then have to navigate to the room the demo is for. You can select "Restore" from the menu you should be on right now if you have been there. If not, play until you get there.
F6
[Import]
Browse to the demo that you downloaded. Select it. [Okay]
Make sure the demo you imported is selected in the upper left select box. [Watch]

Example: There are a couple of demos of people killing Slayers in custom-made holds. I don't want to download the hold, or have to go through it myself, I just want to *watch the demo* and learn how to try and apply it into JTRH or TCB.
Nope, sorry. A .demo file isn't a video, just basically a reference to a room and a bunch of keys that were pressed. You need the hold and to be able to get to the room that the demo is for in order to see it.

09-04-2015 at 05:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
The above sequence of steps is inadequate since it does not answer the following question:

In which folder should I actually PUT the demo file?

How do I make my current game recognise that the demo file is present, is available, EXISTS?

I have downloaded the demo file to my standard download folder.

Let us assume that (1) I do have the relevant hold installed and (2) I am currently AT the room that I am having trouble with, and have not completed it.

My copy of the game does not recognise that the demo file in question exists.

Where should I put it, and what precise idiot-guide step-by-step sequence of instructions should I follow, to make my game recognise its existence?

[Last edited by JLE at 03-10-2017 11:55 PM]
03-10-2017 at 11:54 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Play demo in drod (+3)  
The Import window has a file browser in it - the top half is folders/directories, the bottom half is .demo files that are in the current directory.

At the very top there's a textbox that shows the current directory.

Let's assume your standard download directory is C:\Users\JLE\Downloads

The easiest way to get there is to copy that path - C:\Users\JLE\Downloads - and paste it into the "Current directory" textbox at the very top, and press the Enter key. This will change your current path and the bottom pane should now show every file that ends in .demo in that Downloads directory. Highlight the one in question and press [Okay].

Make sure that your file ends in ".demo". If you downloaded a zip file or something, it would need to be unzipped.

03-11-2017 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Play demo in drod
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com