Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : "If the problem persists, please contact Caravel Games for support." (If you insist, DROD. Also, woo first 3.1 support request.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon "If the problem persists, please contact Caravel Games for support." (0)  
So I just downloaded the patch from the downloads page, which is apparently build 53, and installed it. It told me when I opened it (after the usual 'hey close some programs you tard' message) that it needed to upgrade my data files. And I was all like, okay, and it was all like, progress bar slowly moves, and then it was all like, we couldn't do it sucka. And then drod.exe quit, and I opened it again, and I told it to upgrade again, and it went directly to that error message.

09-28-2007 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: "If the problem persists, please contact Caravel Games for support." (0)  
Ummm... yeah. Are your data files now corrupted? Can you go back to .52? What's the exact error message?

If it says that drod.exe can't be accessed, it means that you're still running the game(happened to me already).
09-28-2007 at 11:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: "If the problem persists, please contact Caravel Games for support." (0)  
"corrupted" is relative here, but my best guess is that something unusual happened before that went unnoticed until the upgrade wa attempted. It does sound unlikely that going back to a previous DROD version will work with the partially upgraded database. Mike will probably want to see the player.dat file you had before first attempting to upgrade to 3.1. If there's no backup of that, the current *.dat files (other than drod-3_0.dat) might still be useful, since they do result in an error. But with them, the conclusion is more likely to be "It's too late to save this database." (I don't ask for player.dat files myself since they can contain CaravelNet passwords.)

[Last edited by schep at 09-28-2007 02:28 PM]
09-28-2007 at 02:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Man, I wish more people had helped me do QA for the data upgrade process. Still, it's good to get these reports in now rather than later. Yes, please email me all current .dats in the Data folder -- where they give an error as soon as you start upgrading -- except drod3_0.dat, of course, and data.dat, which doesn't get upgraded. Please .zip/.rar them together. If they're too big to post or attach to an email, you can use a service utility like "Pando" to make a larger file available via email.

As soon as you get me your .dat files, I'll be able to fix the upgrade bug. This means it *should* successfully complete for you in the next build.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-28-2007 04:11 PM]
09-28-2007 at 04:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Might drod.err come in handy too?
09-28-2007 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Syntax wrote:
Might drod.err come in handy too?
Sure. It would be nice if people always posted the log of error beeps they've been having before a crash or some other badness. Or at least snippets. (For instance, I wouldn't need a 400MB log file filled with millions of instances of the same one error.)

09-28-2007 at 04:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
If you have a player file back up, then delete your old Player.dat file. It's how I got 3.1 up and working again. ;)

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

09-28-2007 at 10:51 PM
mrimer
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
If you have a player file back up, then delete your old Player.dat file. It's how I got 3.1 up and working again. ;)
That is not a "back up player file" -- it's your pending 3.1 player.dat file once the upgrade process is completed. What you describe is a risky work-around because your player profile might be in there...but then again maybe not, since that happens as nearly the final step of the data upgrade. Hmm...yeah, maybe deleting the playe_.da_ file is a viable workaround if your upgrade doesn't complete, though your old player.dat file might be larger than it could have been, had the data upgrade been able to complete successfully.

Jeff_Ray, what kind of OS do you have on your computer?

(I'm confused. Why do people keep mentioning the upgrade process doesn't work, but no one is sending me their .dat files so I can fix the bug?) :huh

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-29-2007 07:04 AM]
09-28-2007 at 11:50 PM
Jatopian
Okay sorry, I was really tired last night. I upgraded directly from 3.0 to build 53. The exact message is "DROD was unable to complete upgrading your data files and will now exit. If the problem persists, please contact Caravel Games for support."

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-29-2007 02:24 AM]
09-29-2007 at 02:10 AM
Jatopian
My zip is too big for email or attachment, and I can't use Pando because I have Win98SE
What do I do? :?

09-29-2007 at 02:44 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: "If the problem persists, please contact Caravel Games for support." (+1)  
Something like DropSend or any of the other services that let you upload big files? It's not like there's any sensitive info in there (although if there was, you could always just encrypt the zip file and email Mike the password).

[Last edited by Tuttle at 09-29-2007 04:34 AM : Rapidshare doesn't allow free uploads]
09-29-2007 at 04:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
icon Re: "If the problem persists, please contact Caravel Games for support." (+1)  
ty, Tuttle. I've uploaded the zip there. My account is my username at the mail of g dotcom, password "ichangedmypassformrimer".

09-29-2007 at 04:57 AM
mrimer

File: player.dat (16.7 KB)
Downloaded 41 times.
License: Public Domain
Jatopian wrote:
ty, Tuttle. I've uploaded the zip there. My account is my username at the mail of g dotcom, password "ichangedmypassformrimer".
Thanks, Jatopian. I got your .dats and tried running DROD with them. They completed upgrading and then DROD started running just fine. I don't know what to say. Hmmm...

Looking at the code, something that might cause continuing the upgrade to fail immediately would be if DROD isn't able to gain write permission to all the .da* files. Maybe your playe_.da_ file (or one of the others) has read-only permissions and DROD can't change that? Or maybe DROD can't get permissions to rename or delete a file? Or maybe you don't have any free disk space? I wouldn't expect any of these to be the case, but who knows... I wonder if this is an OS-specific issue...

Edit: Anyway, attached is the resulting player.dat file after completing your data upgrade. You should be able to erase your old playe*.da* files and just use this one. I really wish I could have found out what's wrong here, of course.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-29-2007 07:00 AM]
09-29-2007 at 06:58 AM
mrimer
Jatopian wrote:
My zip is too big for email or attachment, and I can't use Pando because I have Win98SE
Quoted for refutation

09-29-2007 at 07:50 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
mrimer wrote:
Edit: Anyway, attached is the resulting player.dat file after completing your data upgrade. You should be able to erase your old playe*.da* files and just use this one. I really wish I could have found out what's wrong here, of course.
Doesn't he need text.dat, hold.dat, and save.dat too?
09-29-2007 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
coppro wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Doesn't he need text.dat, hold.dat, and save.dat too?
Of course, and he's already got them.

09-29-2007 at 03:51 PM
Jatopian
Ah, sleep. Yes, everything seems to work now.

09-29-2007 at 05:23 PM
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
If it is Win98SE, the computer probably just don't have enough memory to upgrade database.
09-30-2007 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
halyavin wrote:
If it is Win98SE, the computer probably just don't have enough memory to upgrade database.
Yes, that's what I'm guessing. Jatopian, would you tell us how much RAM and virtual memory you have on your machine?

09-30-2007 at 06:41 PM
coppro
Why don't you try also closing and reopening the non-player.dat files after each step in the upgrade (you do it for player.dat, but not the new dat file).
EDIT: To be clear, this is addressed at mrimer.

[Last edited by coppro at 09-30-2007 06:55 PM]
09-30-2007 at 06:54 PM
Jatopian
mrimer wrote:
Jatopian, would you tell us how much RAM and virtual memory you have on your machine?
It says 128.0MB RAM and ... 32-bit. I'm actually not sure how to find out the amount of virtual memory. :|

09-30-2007 at 08:20 PM
mrimer
Jatopian wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Jatopian, would you tell us how much RAM and virtual memory you have on your machine?
It says 128.0MB RAM and ... 32-bit. I'm actually not sure how to find out the amount of virtual memory. :|
Mmm...if you only have 256MB virtual RAM or something, then it's quite possible upgrading these huge files would run out of memory somewhere along the way. So I'd say this isn't a bug per-se that can be directly fixed by altering DROD code. Just a hardware/software (OS) configuration limitation. Increasing the amount of virtual RAM you have available would remedy this. Sorry, I don't know how to change virtual memory in Win98 SE, but I'd guess it's in the control panel under System settings. In WinXP, from there, it's under "Advanced->Performance".

10-01-2007 at 04:22 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jatopian computer upgrade fund, anyone? :|

Last time I imported stuff my DROD process used about 500 MB of RAM, so the amount of swapping neccessary will probably make anything similar on his machine take weeks... :(

10-01-2007 at 08:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
New idea: When crossing over the rooms database, check for something throwing std::bad_alloc, and if it does, reduce the time between database reloads.

Also, you could close all the other databases temporarily while performing the room upgrade, since it's the biggest RAM-hog.
10-01-2007 at 03:11 PM
mrimer
coppro wrote:
Also, you could close all the other databases temporarily while performing the room upgrade, since it's the biggest RAM-hog.
Actually, this is probably unhelpful. When I've profiled memory usage, I've confirmed that opened .dats only allocate RAM for parts of them that have been accessed and modified in the current session. Though the other .dats are open, they populate negligible RAM during the upgrade routine, especially if upgrade is rerun after an incomplete procedure. If you profile the app and can show evidence that memory usage is substantially reduced (i.e. by more than a couple MB) by closing the non-participating .dats during upgrade, then I'll consider optimizing it.

P.S. Interestingly, Jatopian's .dats already had the room data upgraded successfully when he handed them off to me, so that part of the procedure isn't a problem for his system, evidently. Curiously, it was the final step of transferring the player data that he was stuck on.

[Last edited by mrimer at 10-01-2007 04:42 PM]
10-01-2007 at 04:40 PM
Jatopian
Briareos wrote:
Jatopian computer upgrade fund, anyone? :|
I will hopefully get a modern laptop for Christmas, provided we can still find one with Windows XP by then. (I really don't want Vista...) But feel free to send me money anyway. ;)

10-02-2007 at 12:03 AM
coppro
mrimer wrote:Actually, this is probably unhelpful. When I've profiled memory usage, I've confirmed that opened .dats only allocate RAM for parts of them that have been accessed and modified in the current session. Though the other .dats are open, they populate negligible RAM during the upgrade routine, especially if upgrade is rerun after an incomplete procedure.
But on a first run-through, the data is all remembered. You close and reopen the old data file, but not the new one. So either a Commit call should be sufficient, in which case you don't need to reopen the old one, or you should close and reopen the old and new ones. So at some level, you should at least be consistent.
10-02-2007 at 03:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : "If the problem persists, please contact Caravel Games for support." (If you insist, DROD. Also, woo first 3.1 support request.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com