Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Holiday Donations
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon DROD Holiday Donations (0)  
Well, that time of year is coming up, and I know that I for one would like to be able to give something back to DROD and all the time it's was...I mean, all the joy I've gotten out of it. So, I would like to donate some money to the 1.7 cause as a Holiday present (you choose which holiday, I'm not picky). But I should ask Erik what address he wants the check sent to. And I'm doing this in a public place so that other people can send their gifts if they also wish to.

If you don't respond, Erik, I'll just send it to the return address on the certificate. I'd like to be able to post an address for those who didn't get a certificate, but that would be an invasion of your privacy, so I'll let you do that. And if you don't want to, perhaps someone else with an address they don't mind putting on the Web will offer to collect all the gifts to forward to Erik.

DROD is important to a lot of us, and I am sure that other people besides me want to show their appreciation. So let's show Erik how much we care!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-01-2003 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: DROD Holiday Donations (0)  
Neil, this a wonderful gesture. I really do appreciate it! I don't really feel comfortable accepting donations, though. If there were not plans to take everything commercial, it might be different. Maybe hold onto that money and save it to buy a copy of our release next year. Or you might pick something up from the DROD Store, if you see anything you like.

If people are in the mood to "give something back", here's some ideas:
- Tell your friends about DROD--particularly the ones that are into computer games and puzzles.
- Maybe burn some DROD CDs and give them to people. "Hey! This is a game I was a beta-tester for. You gotta try it!" If you are a member of any school or computer clubs, this can be a nice place to hand out CDs.
- If you've got a web page, write something promoting DROD and link to DROD.net. This helps new players find us in two ways: 1. visitors will come from your site, and 2. higher ranking in Google and other search engines for certain search phrases.
- Make some holds. Noted, of course, that Onei already built a few, but more holds is better, and other people might try their hand at it so we have lots to offer.
- Write something for DROD.net--a story set in the Eighth (perhaps an introduction for your hold), a puzzle of the sort Wesley Chua and Lewis Carroll come up with, an article describing a useful technique for creating hold puzzles, or maybe something else. You might want to pitch your idea to Mattcrampy at the beginning to make sure it is something he can put on DROD.net.
- Make some art for DROD.net. If you are artistically inclined, you could draw some DROD-related art and send it to Matt. We might end up with a nice "Fan Art" section.
- Write good posts on the forum. When our boards are populated with well-written messages, whether they be humorous, insightful, imaginative, or informative, it helps to attract new DROD players and increase their level of involvement. A spirit of friendliness towards newcomers is also important, especially when their first posts show ignorance or bad judgment. In this case, a polite and brief correction is needed, so the new poster can keep his dignity and not feel alienated.

-Erik

12-01-2003 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
ErikH2000 wrote:
If there were not plans to take everything commercial, it might be different. Maybe hold onto that money and save it to buy a copy of our release next year.

Oh, this was meant to be in addition to anything I spent on the next release, but I guess I will respect your wishes if I have to.

Or you might pick something up from the DROD Store, if you see anything you like.

What a great idea! I totally forgot about the store! What percentage of the money goes to you, so I can buy enough to equal the donation I wanted to give? :D

A spirit of friendliness towards newcomers is also important, especially when their first posts show ignorance or bad judgment. In this case, a polite and brief correction is needed, so the new poster can keep his dignity and not feel alienated.

:whistle

(P.S. Thank you for pointing that out, Schik, I looked through the list, just not well enough I guess.)

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 12-01-2003 at 08:50 PM GMT: Schik is cool]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-01-2003 at 08:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Oneiromancer wrote:
What a great idea! I totally forgot about the store! What percentage of the money goes to you, so I can buy enough to equal the donation I wanted to give? :D
Looks like the prices are anywhere from around $2-$7 above the base price.

Eytan (I think) was right...we really do need a "whistling" smiley.
:whistle

12-01-2003 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD Holiday Donations
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com