Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Dugan's First Exit
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon Dugan's First Exit (0)  
I'm starting to replay through Dugan's, and I just saw that, in level 1, the stairs for the exit go right up to the edge of the room. Why can't we do that in the editor?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-29-2003 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Dugan's First Exit (0)  
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
I'm starting to replay through Dugan's, and I just saw that, in level 1, the stairs for the exit go right up to the edge of the room. Why can't we do that in the editor?
I don't know, but if you look at it in the editor, the edge is marked as an error, so Dugan's Dungeon appears to be an exception to the rule.

11-29-2003 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Hmmm.....

It's the same at the level 2 exit, too.....

11-29-2003 at 12:32 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
DD was created with an entirely different editor, only used by me and Lucas Swineford before 1997 for Webfoot DROD, so you'll find things like that occasionally. Many times in the new editor we don't allow every possible placement, because...

1. Disallowing some placements promotes better level design. For example, it would be annoying to drop the player down the level exit stairs on his first move into the room. Maybe the player wants to explore the level a bit more before making an exit.

2. It takes more time to program, because you must write more code to react to extra possibilities. Mike wrote code to show errors when the perimeter of a room does not match its adjacent neighbors. This code would need to be updated to take into account stairs. The code that places the stairs in the editor might also need to be updated to not draw the south wall of the stairs when it is out of bounds.

Probably #2 was the reason for this one, but I can't honestly remember. In any event, it doesn't seem like you are missing very much by not being able to have stairs on the perimeter.

-Erik

11-29-2003 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Well, I think it would look quite a bit better, because otherwise it looks like Beethro just disappears in front of a wall. At the edge of the room, it actually looks like he's going somewhere. Besides, apparently the code has already been done, because you have it.....

11-29-2003 at 03:04 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
As far as I understand, the problem is that the game can't handle things like an exit from the room below the room with the stairs that heads straight into the stairs. In Dugan's Dungeon, this never came up, but a wide-release editor needs to have more safety mechanisms.

11-29-2003 at 05:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Also, it is possible to make stairs go all the way to the edge, but it takes a little work. :closedeyes First you'll need to clear the space the exit will be, create the exit at the size you want, select the exit without selecting the walls underneath, and then copy and paste the exit so it touches the edge. The help file should explain selecting, copying, and pasting room elements.

Hope what I said will help you! :)

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-29-2003 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
It works sort of the way you'd expect, too - you can walk on the stairways from the room below.

11-29-2003 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
eytanz wrote:
It works sort of the way you'd expect, too - you can walk on the stairways from the room below.

On which level is this possible?

11-29-2003 at 02:05 PM
eytanz
I created one in the editor to test

11-29-2003 at 03:33 PM
Synneth Relmn
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
also, on the editor, if you look at level 25 of Dugan's dungeon, you can see the Neather just like any other monster. you can delete him, but you can't place a Neather from the editor. would it be possible to be able to place the Neather and then program the intelligence?

another thing, what happened to the streets of Neatherville that were in webfoot?
11-29-2003 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
About the 'Neather - see the topic about that on the Development board.

And I don't know exactly why the roads were removed from Webfoot, possibly because it was harder to see distances without the colour difference in squares?

"Oook!"
11-29-2003 at 04:48 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
krammer wrote:
And I don't know exactly why the roads were removed from Webfoot, possibly because it was harder to see distances without the colour difference in squares?
It's probably because the roads are not in the tileset for level 8 and putting them in would have required special coding for the level, so they were removed.

11-29-2003 at 04:50 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Dugan's First Exit
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com