Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question For 1.7
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon Re: Question For 1.7 (0)  
There would have to be a way to distinguish the tiles from each other though.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-21-2003 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
well the roads could be in either the "orb" tab or the "block" tab...
12-21-2003 at 10:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
No - I mean that there would have to be distinguishably separate squares, like the "Palace" floor alternates between light blue and white. Do you understand now?

12-21-2003 at 11:24 PM
Stuwy
ahh I see now.

12-22-2003 at 02:03 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Except I don't think that's anything we really have to worry about. Like tar, the road tiles would figure out what shape they need to be in, making it just like laying regular floor for the user making the hold.

12-22-2003 at 07:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:
Except I don't think that's anything we really have to worry about. Like tar, the road tiles would figure out what shape they need to be in, making it just like laying regular floor for the user making the hold.
Like the way tar does it?

12-23-2003 at 12:15 AM
DiMono
If you lay a 7x3 block of tar, and then lay some more tar next to but not overlapping that tar, the new tar forms up becuse it recognizes the angles it needs to have. I'd be assuming you lay one type of "road" tile, and internally it figures out where the borders of the road are, if it's wide enough for a lane line, etc.

12-23-2003 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Perhaps it could just be gray and not have any edges at all, but that might destroy the visual effect.

12-24-2003 at 12:56 AM
agaricus5
Perhaps road tiles could use the same coding for tar, except that no road babies are formed where the road is positioned so an area of it has a width of 1.

12-24-2003 at 02:00 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Maybe we could have a monster called "road baby."

- same as tar, except gray and Beethro can step on it. If Beethro hits any of it with his sword, it becomes a road baby which attacks Beethro as normal, except after five turns it will become a "speed bump" if it is still on the road and can no longer be changed.

12-24-2003 at 02:16 PM
agaricus5
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Maybe we could have a monster called "road baby."

- same as tar, except gray and Beethro can step on it. If Beethro hits any of it with his sword, it becomes a road baby which attacks Beethro as normal, except after five turns it will become a "speed bump" if it is still on the road and can no longer be changed.
How would you cut the road?

The whole point of the road is to step on it as a floor tile, not be able to cut it up.

12-24-2003 at 03:43 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Just an idea.....

12-24-2003 at 06:28 PM
Stuwy
Instead of road babies... Hitchhikers!
12-29-2003 at 04:32 PM
The_Red_Hawk
:) That would be a neat name.

12-29-2003 at 04:55 PM
DiMono
After posting in a different thread about grid sizes, I have a few new questions to ask that are really better suited to this thread anyway:

Will an architect be able to choose their grid size, in case they want to be backwards compatible with 1.6? Will there be a few predefined sizes to pick between upon starting the hold? Can we create new sizes? If either of the last two are true, will we be able to use different sizes on each level of our hold?

01-07-2004 at 01:34 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
DiMono wrote:
Will an architect be able to choose their grid size, in case they want to be backwards compatible with 1.6? Will there be a few predefined sizes to pick between upon starting the hold? Can we create new sizes? If either of the last two are true, will we be able to use different sizes on each level of our hold?
For the time being, we're sticking with 38 columns by 32 rows. The tiles will be 22x22 pixels though, and 1024x768 resolution will be used instead of 640x480. So room sizes are the same, but with more detailed graphics.

-Erik

01-07-2004 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
ErikH2000 wrote:
The tiles will be 22x22 pixels though

What are they now, please? Just so we can get an idea of the improvement? That would be cool if there were enough room to put torches on the walls or something like that...and dynamic lighting...oooh...:drool

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-07-2004 at 01:50 AM
DiMono
Ah, I understand now. Right now the tiles are 14px by 14px. I thought by changing grid size you meant more tiles, not higher resolution tiles. That clears everything up nicely. Tea, anyone? :gathering

01-07-2004 at 01:59 AM
ErikH2000
Oneiromancer wrote:
What are they now, please? Just so we can get an idea of the improvement?
14 by 14 now.
That would be cool if there were enough room to put torches on the walls or something like that...and dynamic lighting...oooh...:drool
Heh. In the words of Faith No More: "You want it all, but you can't have it."

-Erik

01-07-2004 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
ErikH2000 wrote:
Heh. In the words of Faith No More: "You want it all, but you can't have it."

Well, at least I got something out of this thread: I totally forgot that I like that song. So now that you've reminded me, I can go get it.

Although everyone uses this quote, I think the Rolling Stones are more appropriate:

"You can’t always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you might find
You get what you need"

I think with 1.7 we'll more than get what we need. :D

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-07-2004 at 02:32 AM
ErikH2000
Oneiromancer wrote:
Although everyone uses this quote, I think the Rolling Stones are more appropriate:
Ha! You know, I was going to use that one, and changed it at the last second to the Faith No More bit. Many times I've been in a situation like... at a supermarket and some item Brittany wants will be out of stock, and she gets all pouty about it, so I chime in with the high-pitched falsetto (child choir at beginning of song) "You can't always get what you waaa-hant. You..." And I get a satisfying punch on the shoulder.

Then the other Stones supermarket song, when my heavy tote is full to the brim, and Brittany's taking her time browsing... ah, see if you can guess it, Neil.

-Erik

01-07-2004 at 02:43 AM
Oneiromancer
ErikH2000 wrote:
Then the other Stones supermarket song, when my heavy tote is full to the brim, and Brittany's taking her time browsing... ah, see if you can guess it, Neil.

Ack! Putting me on the spot, will you? This is probably much easier than I am making it out to be, though. I will have to assume it's a relatively well-known song, although my personal Stones favorite is Salt of the Earth. Let me think to some music...

:band

Well, it can't be Time is On My Side, that's the opposite of what you're feeling. Satisfaction could work, as you're standing there not getting any. Under My Thumb is you, not her, in this situation (although I won't speculate about anything else, I promise). Wild Horses? Doesn't really make much sense.

I guess I will have to say Satisfaction. If not, it's probably some song that if I had the lyrics right in front of my I would totally know that was it, but I'm much better at seeing lyrics and relating them to a song title than the other way around.

Game on,

01-07-2004 at 03:09 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Mother's Little Helper?

01-07-2004 at 03:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Shoulda known there'd be more than one song that would work. No, here is what I sing:

"I'll never be your beast of burden.
My back is broad but it's a hurting."

-Erik

01-07-2004 at 03:39 AM
Oneiromancer
Ah, a very appropriate song, but not one that I own, actually. So it did not come readily to mind. I am sure that if I had a CD with that on it and I had perused its track listing I would have come up with it. Ah, well. Now I just get to imagine you singing that song in a falsetto. It will lull me to sleep tonight, I am sure.

Game on,

01-07-2004 at 07:45 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Question For 1.7
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com