Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : 'Neather in user holds
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
yyw
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged

File: fix.txt (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 91 times.
License: Other
icon 'Neather in user holds (+1)  
I first posted this in feature requests, but it turned into a metaphysical discussion which is not what I intended. It seems to me after thinking about it that this should appear in the development forum, so here it is.
--------
Here is a fix to "CNeather::GetGoal" (from neather.cpp)
If I am correct, this should allow two things:

1: Playing level 25 as it is in a different hold.
2: Creating new levels based on level 25, as long as the 'Neather logic stays the same.

The changes I did are:
--- nY should get the room height (N-S), without the leval (nY of room1 will be 50 and not 2550)
--- the switch (nY) is changed as well.

Attached is my version of the function.

--yyw

11-23-2003 at 07:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: 'Neather in user holds (0)  
yyw wrote:
Here is a fix to "CNeather::GetGoal" (from neather.cpp)
Wow, you dug into the code to figure this out. I award you 14 credibility points!
If I am correct, this should allow two things:

1: Playing level 25 as it is in a different hold.
2: Creating new levels based on level 25, as long as the 'Neather logic stays the same.
I dunno. If the 'Neather room has to stay basically the same, is it really worth replaying it in a slightly different context? The downside is that we have to complicate the editor to include a feature of limited worth.

-Erik

11-24-2003 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
I'd vote no. I mean, if the code could be simplified that's great for the sake of nice code - but I don't think implementing the 'neather in the editor is a good idea (at least unless we can get a scripting editor for him as well)

11-26-2003 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Wouldn't it be really complicated? I mean, didn't the 'Neather have to be programmed for each specific room in Dugan's?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-28-2003 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Wouldn't it be really complicated? I mean, didn't the 'Neather have to be programmed for each specific room in Dugan's?
That's what Eytan said - the 'Neather would also need his own scripting editor to make each room he goes into.

11-28-2003 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
yyw
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Actually, I had some ideas about changing the existing puzzles just a little to create new challenges. (In addition to the challange of creating such puzzles)

--yyw
12-10-2003 at 09:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Here's my idea for the front end 'Neather scripting interface:

You always know where the 'Neather is entering the room from, so that part is trivial, just place him there

When you create the 'Neather, you are prompted for his initial destination, and must select a square on the map.

Once you've created the room, you click on the 'Neather in the monster area of the editor, and that area changes to a simple menu:

Add behavior
Remove behavior
Modify behavior
Return to menu

When you click on Add, you're prompted for Beethro's location to trigger the behavior, and then which orb the Neather will go hit. You can, of course, have many triggers for the same orb.

When you click on Remove or Modify, a (scrolling) menu of existing behaviors appears, and when you click on one of them both the trigger square and the orb are highlighted. You can then click on either square, then must click on the new square.

Also, if this is implemented, what do people think of having the 'Neather available on multiple levels? You almost catch him in the exit room, but he gets away and you lose him again?

12-11-2003 at 01:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
The 'Neather's behavior is more complicated that that.

I'll hide it since there are spoilers....
Click here to view the secret text

There may be more complicated actions as well - I don't recall without going and looking at the code. None of these are hills to die on, but all together it's not a trivial task. Plenty of other good stuff is in the works, and I'm pretty sure Erik has said we're not going to add a scripting editor to *any* creature, new or old.

12-11-2003 at 02:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Maybe that's something that could be done when the funding is there: If you wish, you can create your own hold boss, complete with custom sprites and behaviours. As a game developer I know just how big a pain in the arse that is though, so it's not something I anticipate seeing any time soon. Would be really cool for those who want to put that extra bit of effort in to their hold to amke it extra special and unique.

12-14-2003 at 08:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
DiMono wrote:
Maybe that's something that could be done when the funding is there: If you wish, you can create your own hold boss, complete with custom sprites and behaviours. As a game developer I know just how big a pain in the arse that is though, so it's not something I anticipate seeing any time soon. Would be really cool for those who want to put that extra bit of effort in to their hold to amke it extra special and unique.
Then the whole boss thing may become a little boring as everyone will want to mess around with it and so the novelty of a "boss" like the 'Neather will fade. Personally, whether or not it's hard to implement or use, I'm against it for the reason that only the main game should have a scripted enemy, and then only as a "boss" monster near/at the bottom.

12-15-2003 at 11:09 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Will there be a new "boss" in Journey to Rooted Hold?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-17-2003 at 03:54 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Mayyyyyyyyybe...

If there is, I think I'd know who it would be. Maybe I can pester Erik to help design that level.

Matt

12-24-2003 at 06:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : 'Neather in user holds
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com