Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Beethro moves more slowly?
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Re: Beethro moves more slowly? (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:

I agree. We will do much more to promote 1.6. Waiting on a few things right now.

-Erik
Well, I'm doing what I can with my column, hopefully there were a bunch of downloads when the first installment came out. The interview will probably lead to a bunch more when we actually get around to doing it.

I mean, unless you mind my hyping the game on a different website...

11-24-2003 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
ErikH2000 wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Well, I'll pay, of course, but I do think that if you want to stand a chance of making good sales for 1.7 you need to start evangelizing 1.6 - since the stuff you're selling will be primarily an expansion, it would help a lot to have a large, loyal fanbase for the core game. You have a loyal fanbase, but it's not quite large enough at the moment for the kind of sales to be worth your investment.
I agree. We will do much more to promote 1.6. Waiting on a few things right now.

-Erik

Way off track with this thread, but I just wanted to say one thing at this point. I know I already said it in another thread, but I never really heard anything specific, so I will just take the liberty to repeat myself.

Surely one of the most effective ways to propagate the game would be to translate it into different languages. Since DROD is really cool and better than a lot of games that cost money (to repeat that thought for the nth time) I volunteered to translate it into German, sort of as a "thanks a lot". I've done technical and business translations before, both English -> German and vice versa (so you should get a decent translation :?), but as I work, I couldn't stick to any time plan, which could be a big draw-back from your standpoint, but it's kinda like: "better late than never", I would think, if you don't already have something else lined up. There was a lot of bantering about the Turkish translation in that thread, but as far as I could tell, nothing concrete was ever said. For the sceptics, I'm not trying to earn any money, like I said, it would be a "thank you", and I'm not trying to advertise myself as a translator, since I already have a full-time job. I just thought I would make the offer one last time.

leroy

11-24-2003 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Translation to German (0)  
leroy00 wrote:
Way off track with this thread, but I just wanted to say one thing at this point. I know I already said it in another thread, but I never really heard anything specific, so I will just take the liberty to repeat myself.
Sorry, if I missed that post, Leroy.
Surely one of the most effective ways to propagate the game would be to translate it into different languages.
Agree, agree, agree. We have specifically scheduled time in 1.7 to finish up our localization changes for French. After we finish French, the code will be in place to do other languages. We plan to update our French and Russian text late in the development cycle, so that we don't have to keep coming back to the translators with more new text to translate. This would also be the time when we humbly request help translating our text to other languages, again to minimize the work involved for the translators.
Since DROD is really cool and better than a lot of games that cost money (to repeat that thought for the nth time) I volunteered to translate it into German, sort of as a "thanks a lot". I've done technical and business translations before, both English -> German and vice versa (so you should get a decent translation :?), but as I work, I couldn't stick to any time plan, which could be a big draw-back from your standpoint, but it's kinda like: "better late than never", I would think, if you don't already have something else lined up. There was a lot of bantering about the Turkish translation in that thread, but as far as I could tell, nothing concrete was ever said. For the sceptics, I'm not trying to earn any money, like I said, it would be a "thank you", and I'm not trying to advertise myself as a translator, since I already have a full-time job. I just thought I would make the offer one last time.
Leroy, thank you for this excellent offer! I would like to take your e-mail address so I can contact you when we are ready. Hopefully, by the time we are in a position to accept German translated text, you will still be able and willing to help us. You can e-mail me at erikh2000 at yahoo do com.

-Erik

11-24-2003 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
DiMono wrote:
Well, I'm doing what I can with my column, hopefully there were a bunch of downloads when the first installment came out. The interview will probably lead to a bunch more when we actually get around to doing it.
Yeah, the column was really cool.
I mean, unless you mind my hyping the game on a different website...
Naw, of course not.

-Erik

11-24-2003 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Mattcrampy wrote:
Although this is probably already sorted, from what I hear the plan is that there may be two releases: DROD 1.7, and DROD 2.

DROD 1.7 would contain bug fixes, and probably the new graphical engine.

DROD 2 would contain most of the new content. KDD would be a seperate download with its graphics and music.

Just wanted to make sure, it seemed like Erik kind of did not support this in his statements, by suggesting that the next version will be 1.7 with extra media available for purchase.

I am basically asking because I am wondering if there was a plan to have multiple releases: one sooner one which makes some bug fixes and features that are fully compatible with the older version, like being able to move between levels as discussed in the Feature Request forum. Some other stuff we've discussed too, basically everything but new monsters, doors, orbs, etc. Just being kind of selfish because I have a hold I'm kind of slowly designing the layout for in general. It's kind of a tribute to another game (not Zelda), so I'd really like to be able to move between levels, although this actually isn't required. If the movement between levels will come out before the new monsters, I will get more serious about populating the dungeon. But if not, I might just delay the project until after the new version has come out and we have a chance to play with the new items. I'd like the hold to be a not too difficult one, just something to fool around with, okay for the casual player. Which then might actually be good for the new monsters, because I will have lots more variety in making easy puzzles. Hmmm...well, regardless of what I decide, let me restate the initial question: will there be any releases with new or modified content leading up to the full-fledged release of what we are now calling 1.7?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-26-2003 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
I sincerely doubt there will be anything out between now and the full fledged 1.7 - while I'm sure everyone would like to see more new stuff, but it's just not worth the time it would take to put out an extra release. And we'd like to blow your minds with a whole lot of new stuff at once instead of showing off incremental changes. On top of that, lots of new monsters are already in there with the other features, so it'd be a pain to seperate them out.

I don't think that moving between levels is fully compatible with 1.6. The database had to change to support multiple entrances, and there's probably lots of other details I don't know about. Heck, you can't yet import a 1.6 hold using the current dev build.

I'd say pretty confidently that you will get ALL the new features in one big lump.

11-26-2003 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Beethro moves more slowly?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com