Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : A few suggestions for the editor
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon A few suggestions for the editor (+2)  
Looking at them, I've noticed that some of my suggestions (namely number 2, which has me mentioning exceptions in the first sentence) are rather descriptive in the respect that I'm also suggesting ways to implement it; If you like a suggestion, but would rather incorporate it another way, be my guest. But I include the extra stuff anyways because I'm just the kind of guy who types so much that he might need Carpel Tunnel surgery by the age of 20.:yay

1. Can you add a way to access the important stuff from Wonderquest Editor Help.doc directly in the editor? You can do the conventional method (put it in html and access it with F1), but I have another idea on how to do it: Much like how mousing over the Resources makes the available specials appear, you should add something to the toolbar in the editor that displays all the keyboard shortcuts when you mouse over it.
I mean, the alt-tab thing doesn't show up in WQ, meaning the current fastest way to switch between WQ and Word is to hit the Windows key and find the document in my toolbar. It's getting to be annoying.

2. With the exception of dynamite, doors, snakes, and Characters, you should include some indication (I'm thinking of left and right arrows in the corners) when a particular thing can be changed with z and x. This will make it more clear to people when something can be changed. For dynamite, doors, and snakes, I think that when they are moused over, words should appear telling that z and x change the number and mood. The indicators on Party Splitters might conflict with the indicators of stuff on top, but I wouldn't worry about that, as the thing that is by far the most common thing to put on them (Characters) won't have indicators.

3. Make it a little more obvious that, when we are adding a snake, we must start with only placing one tile. The help file says "Click somewhere to place the head" as step one, yet I still find myself dragging a rectangle every now and then, and then wondering why it doesn't work. Since all my other ideas involve messing with how the editor works, I guess the best way to do this is making the help file more clear.

Don't worry. My excessive typing will stop when my fingers fall off, which at this rate will be before I finish college (or maybe before I even enter it!). And now, after an hour or so of typing, revision, and self-criticism, I shall click "Send Message"! How anticlimactic.

08-30-2007 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: A few suggestions for the editor (0)  
1. Can you add a way to access the important stuff from Wonderquest Editor Help.doc directly in the editor? You can do the conventional method (put it in html and access it with F1), but I have another idea on how to do it: Much like how mousing over the Resources makes the available specials appear, you should add something to the toolbar in the editor that displays all the keyboard shortcuts when you mouse over it.
I mean, the alt-tab thing doesn't show up in WQ, meaning the current fastest way to switch between WQ and Word is to hit the Windows key and find the document in my toolbar. It's getting to be annoying.

It would be a lot of extra work.
I'm busy with other projects. The best idea would be to print it down, right?

2. With the exception of dynamite, doors, snakes, and Characters, you should include some indication (I'm thinking of left and right arrows in the corners) when a particular thing can be changed with z and x. This will make it more clear to people when something can be changed. For dynamite, doors, and snakes, I think that when they are moused over, words should appear telling that z and x change the number and mood. The indicators on Party Splitters might conflict with the indicators of stuff on top, but I wouldn't worry about that, as the thing that is by far the most common thing to put on them (Characters) won't have indicators.

Yep, I had thought about that. Maybe in the next release.
PS: The help file needs improvement/correction. Fell free to add information, and post here for everyone to see.

3. Make it a little more obvious that, when we are adding a snake, we must start with only placing one tile. The help file says "Click somewhere to place the head" as step one, yet I still find myself dragging a rectangle every now and then, and then wondering why it doesn't work. Since all my other ideas involve messing with how the editor works, I guess the best way to do this is making the help file more clear.

I agree with that.

Don't worry. My excessive typing will stop when my fingers fall off, which at this rate will be before I finish college (or maybe before I even enter it!). And now, after an hour or so of typing, revision, and self-criticism, I shall click "Send Message"! How anticlimactic.

Nah, keep posting, and have fun! :)
08-30-2007 at 03:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
icon Re: A few suggestions for the editor (0)  
Oh, I just noticed something else. About making door ids:

From the Help document:
1- choose door id. (bottom left part of the screen). Or press tab for the next free id.

Maybe it's just me, but I see no indication of what number is selected. I've noticed that, when I press z and x when closed or open doors are selected, it affects the id of the door I'm about to place, yet it seems there is nothing to tell me what id I'm currently on. So I have to keep on creating and deleting doors just to see what number I'm currently on.

I do find it to be very odd that the help feature documents a way to check when there isn't a way to check. Was this in an update, or did you just forget to add the counter?

EDIT: Another thing that I find suspicious: no documented way to make forest and other stuff be cuttable.
You can make something like rshift toggle cuttability for forest and walls (if there are cuttable walls, I don't know, since I'm not that far). Don't worry about other cuttable things; omit them from the editor to prevent spoilers.
Remember, cuttability has puzzle potential, not just secret-hiding potential. Certain characters can't cut!

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 08-30-2007 09:39 PM]
08-30-2007 at 09:02 PM
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
icon Re: A few suggestions for the editor (+1)  
Kwakstur wrote:
Oh, I just noticed something else. About making door ids:

From the Help document:
1- choose door id. (bottom left part of the screen). Or press tab for the next free id.

Maybe it's just me, but I see no indication of what number is selected. I've noticed that, when I press z and x when closed or open doors are selected, it affects the id of the door I'm about to place, yet it seems there is nothing to tell me what id I'm currently on. So I have to keep on creating and deleting doors just to see what number I'm currently on.

In the bottom right corner is a counter that says "Gate" with a number next to it, which determines the id of doors you're placing and can be changed by clicking.

EDIT: Another thing that I find suspicious: no documented way to make forest and other stuff be cuttable.
You can make something like rshift toggle cuttability for forest and walls (if there are cuttable walls, I don't know, since I'm not that far). Don't worry about other cuttable things; omit them from the editor to prevent spoilers.
Remember, cuttability has puzzle potential, not just secret-hiding potential. Certain characters can't cut!

If you mark an object with an X from the monster layer, it becomes cuttable. Objects marked with a red X will make the small blue "-Secret-" flash in the middle of the room.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-31-2007 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
icon Re: A few suggestions for the editor (+1)  
Thanks for clearing those things up, Noah.

Like I said, they were suspicious; I found it hard to believe that they weren't implemented.

However, the Help Doc says "lower left" and should be changed to "lower right".

08-31-2007 at 07:14 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : A few suggestions for the editor
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com