Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : drod on an iPod
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Zemlor
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon drod on an iPod (+1)  
So I was thinking about if drod could be ported to the iPod
How cool would that be? Some people may not see it as being a big thing, but as someone who is an avid user of an iPod while bored with time to spare, driving long distances / flying / ect, I think it would be awsome. I have gotten rather bored of solitare.

If only :(
08-22-2007 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: drod on an iPod (+1)  
You might be interested in this thread. Curzon made a version of DROD for mobile phones!
08-22-2007 at 09:21 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: drod on an iPod (0)  
Honestly, Apple makes it an unappealing development platform for two reasons:

1. They just aren't courting developers, except maybe a handful of proven companies like PopCap. There's no SDK. There's no licensing program. Well, there wasn't last time I checked. See this article to get an idea of what isn't happening for developers.

2. Apple wants their customers to buy a new music player each year. If you write something for this year's iPod, who knows if it will work with next year's? Besides the changing hardware there is a changing content delivery system to contend with.

So probably no iDROD.

-Erik

08-22-2007 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
Not to mention that there's a *very* limited selection of controls to use... As far as I can tell from my own iPod, you've got a total of 7 inputs to work with. DROD requires 13 controls just to play (though it could be achieved Webfoot-style with 12), plus other inputs for getting to and navigating the menus, plus you've got Apple's own menu system to contend with...

08-23-2007 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
GearShift
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: drod on an iPod (+1)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
Honestly, Apple makes it an unappealing development platform for two reasons:

1. They just aren't courting developers, except maybe a handful of proven companies like PopCap. There's no SDK. There's no licensing program. Well, there wasn't last time I checked. See this article to get an idea of what isn't happening for developers.

2. Apple wants their customers to buy a new music player each year. If you write something for this year's iPod, who knows if it will work with next year's? Besides the changing hardware there is a changing content delivery system to contend with.

So probably no iDROD.

-Erik

Another thing...
iPod games waste the battery sufficiently, I'm afraid. :thumbsdown
08-23-2007 at 04:08 PM
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57

File: Apple_iPod_Video_80GB_Black.JPG (83.7 KB)
Downloaded 66 times.
License: Public Domain
Well if it was invented the controls would probably look like this.

[Last edited by roach strangler at 08-23-2007 07:58 PM]
08-23-2007 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
My iPod doesn't allow two buttons pressed at once... or at least not two clickwheel buttons.

08-23-2007 at 07:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
roach strangler

File: Apple_iPod_Video_80GB_Black.jpg (52.5 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
Hikari wrote:
My iPod doesn't allow two buttons pressed at once... or at least not two clickwheel buttons.

Then how about to move you kind of slide your thumb up.
And other ways.

[Last edited by roach strangler at 08-23-2007 08:44 PM]
08-23-2007 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
I'm pretty sure that if you aren't clicking on a button, the scroll wheel can only detect movements around it's circumference. I'm also pretty sure it can only detect direction, and not placement. But it's not just a matter of how somebody would go about controlling it. It's like Erik said. Development would be difficult, considering Apple doesn't want anything on any of it's gear except what it personally approves. That, combined with the fact that there is no feasible way that you can get all 13(12) inputs for DROD (you also forgot wait, as a possibility) and that the developers are against it in general make it unlikely that it will ever be implemented, even if you figure out how to get all the inputs used.

08-23-2007 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
roach strangler
Sorry Zemlor I tried.
08-23-2007 at 08:52 PM
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
aztcg7 wrote:
(you also forgot wait, as a possibility)

Well, uh...

Igotit! DRODits without waitsum! PUzzly Potensiiunmnumrumtummnum!!

08-24-2007 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : drod on an iPod
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com