Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Uninspiring
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
IP: Logged
icon Re: Uninspiring (0)  
Jatopian wrote:
golfrman wrote:
If you want to talk about global warming, go to the correct thread.
:twak Read, comprehend, then correct if necessary.
I believe you failed to comprehend the element of humour. :P
08-25-2007 at 06:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
AtkinsSJ wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
golfrman wrote:
I believe you failed to comprehend the element of humour. :P
Meh, I wouldn't say it's that humorous to point out a joke I purposely inserted.

But now, tremble beneath the element that is of layered quoting! Or, at least, the beginning of the end . . . an end that involves a quoting of all quotings! I have fury!

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 08-25-2007 07:04 PM]
08-25-2007 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
golfrman
Rank Points: 165
Jatopian wrote:
golfrman wrote:
'Twas a joke...

08-25-2007 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
calamarain wrote:
One could always cheat... have 25 levels each with three rooms. The entrance room, the exit room and one puzzle room :P
No, no no... that's too long. Make 25 levels with 1 room, with each room an entrance, puzzle, and exit room in 1! :P ;)

[Last edited by Monkey at 08-25-2007 11:00 PM]
08-25-2007 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
Monkey wrote:
Make 25 levels with 1 room, with each room an entrance, puzzle, and exit room in 1! :P ;)
Now you're overdoing it... :P

np: Radiohead - No Surprises (OK Computer)

08-26-2007 at 12:00 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: Uninspiring (+1)  
Have 25 levels, each consisting of two tiles. One tile for Beethro to start on, and one tile with the stairs down

08-26-2007 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
calamarain wrote:
Have 25 levels, each consisting of two tiles. One tile for Beethro to start on, and one tile with the stairs down
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG
Two tiles, one for the player to start on, one for a scripted character immediately using "Go to level entrance" command.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 08-26-2007 01:27 AM : speeling]
08-26-2007 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tailchaser
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
Jatopian wrote:
calamarain wrote:
YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG
Two tiles, one for the player to start one, one for a scripted character immediately using "Go to level entrance" command.

But then you would still have to deal with the delay of making 25 separate rooms. There's a better way, since it's possible to put multiple level entrances in the same room: Make a single room with 25 open tiles that Beethro can stand on, put a level entrance on each one, and put an invisible character next to each level entrance with a script as follows:

Wait for entity Player at [coordinates of level entrance]
Go to level entrance [either the next level entrance or, for the last one, this can say end hold]

That's the fastest possible way to make a 25-level hold. And, as an added bonus, it's undeniably an original room, since no room in any previously published hold does anything like this!

08-26-2007 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Or, you could just make 25 levels, each full of about 20 delighful puzzling rooms, with perfect scripting and providing a gradual difficulty curve...

...nah, too much effort. Let's just churn out another Ketchup and Puppies.

08-26-2007 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
calamarain wrote:
Or, you could just make 25 levels, each full of about 20 delighful puzzling rooms, with perfect scripting and providing a gradual difficulty curve...
But that would be unoriginal!

[Last edited by Jatopian at 08-26-2007 07:11 PM : I'm joking, you lot.]
08-26-2007 at 02:16 AM
calamarain
Jatopian wrote:
calamarain wrote:
But that would be unoriginal!
Urgh... unfortunately, you've got a point :P However it's the sort of unoriginality that's good, do you really want to see what the most sadistic hold I could create would be like? Orb puzzles. 400 rooms of orb puzzles. Insanely hard ones that require a minimum of fifteen orb strikes in the right order.

[Last edited by calamarain at 08-26-2007 02:22 AM]
08-26-2007 at 02:21 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
calamarain wrote:
Insanely hard ones that require a minimum of fifteen orb strikes in the right order.
Bavato's Dungeon anyone? (If I remember correctly) - last room was a grid of 25 orbs which had to be pressed in *an* order yet not necessarily all of them. Each orb toggled, opened or closed some of the multiple doors. The aim was to leave them all open.

Certainly didn't go down too well with players :)

[Last edited by Syntax at 08-26-2007 04:27 AM : Typo]
08-26-2007 at 04:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
Nope, that was Deep Hold by The_Red_Hawk
08-26-2007 at 12:01 PM
calamarain
Syntax wrote:
calamarain wrote:
Insanely hard ones that require a minimum of fifteen orb strikes in the right order.
Bavato's Dungeon anyone? (If I remember correctly) - last room was a grid of 25 orbs which had to be pressed in *an* order yet not necessarily all of them. Each orb toggled, opened or closed some of the multiple doors. The aim was to leave them all open.

Certainly didn't go down too well with players :)

Nasty. Bavato's definitely a sadist :P

08-26-2007 at 12:02 PM
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
calamarain wrote:
Nasty. The_Red_Hawk's definitely a sadist :P
Fixed.

What? Everyone was doing it...

[Last edited by BeefontheBone at 08-26-2007 01:18 PM]
08-26-2007 at 01:15 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
There appears to have been a method to RedHawk's madness. Look at this portion of the Orb Solver Program thread.

08-26-2007 at 06:41 PM
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
What happened to all those people who used to post but don't anymore. It's kind of sad actually. :?

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
08-26-2007 at 07:32 PM
Kwakstur

File: Lamps evil orb puzzle of doom.hold (2.6 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
RoboBob3000 wrote:
There appears to have been a method to RedHawk's madness. Look at this portion of the Orb Solver Program thread.
Does anyone remember me talking about stuff called "Keyrooms" in my hold? I wasn't able to consistently make hard rooms, so whenever I made a painfully hard room admist a whole ton of easy rooms, I gave it secret status and made the only time it is required be for hold mastery and some non-required hold secrets.

Well, one is an orb puzzle that is so sadistically hard. That orb puzzle solver can not solve it.

If you actually solve it, write down the orb order for when you actually have to do it when my hold is released in the year 2235.

08-26-2007 at 08:07 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Done. That was easy.

Finished in 7 orb hits.
08-26-2007 at 08:22 PM
Kwakstur
TFMurphy wrote:
Finished in 7 orb hits.
Uh, oh, I sense a somewhat-trivial solution.

Does the roach go around in a spiral? I believe he's supposed to cross an open gate 17 times. If he only walks across two or three gates, then it's a trivial solution.

EDIT: Well, I think the problem is that you can still guide the roach south after going through the tunnel.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 08-26-2007 08:28 PM]
08-26-2007 at 08:26 PM
TFMurphy
Well... his *optimal* path that I was using only crosses 15. Of course, he ends up crossing 19 (and some of those twice) due to following me all over the place. I did only need to go round the loop once though, if that's what you mean ^_^

Was fun for 10-20 minutes though!
08-26-2007 at 08:29 PM
Kwakstur
Sigh. I feel incompetent.

I wonder why?

08-26-2007 at 08:31 PM
TFMurphy
Eh, don't feel too bad. One of the problems you're butting up against is that additional constraints on an orb puzzle actually makes it *easier* to solve, because it reduces the combinations that must be checked. Also, it's quite easy to take a snapshot of your room and color-code *all* the doors that can possibly be opened. Once you know the possible routes that must be taken, you could even dump that in to any Orb Solver you want (I just used logical deduction and experimentation myself though) and solve it that way, getting the Orb Solver to ignore any doors that just isn't part of the solution (fairly easy by just omitting them from the list). You can even modify the input to an Orb Solver if the room contains any traps (doors that must be left *closed* instead of opened) by reversing all inputs to that door.

Basically, don't expect complexity to automatically make a puzzle harder - it can just as easily make it easier.

EDIT: Also, you can learn from things like this, so definitely don't feel bad at all. Even if it's not "sadistically hard", it's still interesting enough to make a room, so it's no loss.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 08-26-2007 08:42 PM]
08-26-2007 at 08:38 PM
calamarain
TFMurphy wrote:
EDIT: Also, you can learn from things like this, so definitely don't feel bad at all. Even if it's not "sadistically hard", it's still interesting enough to make a room, so it's no loss.

Sadistically hard definitely isn't a requirement (with the exception of Beethro's Teacher ;-) ), but interesting is.

08-27-2007 at 12:18 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Uninspiring
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com