Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Uninspiring
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged
icon Uninspiring (0)  
*growl*

Tried to make rooms for my hold today. They worked. They're good rooms. Standard. Slightly challenging. And utterly boring and unoriginal, done several times before.

Anyone else having a week like this? Every room I've tried to make this week has turned out dull and stodgy, not bad but the sort of room that's been done before loads (with one exception).

08-22-2007 at 06:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Uninspiring (0)  
Of course I know how it is... haven't come up with a good room in more than three weeks, myself.

Usually however, I just say "Hell with it; I'm no Larry" and keep the rooms as they are, provided they are of at least decent quality.
08-22-2007 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Dex Stewart wrote:
Of course I know how it is... haven't come up with a good room in more than three weeks, myself.

Usually however, I just say "Hell with it; I'm no Larry" and keep the rooms as they are, provided they are of at least decent quality.

Ah, but that requires you to have enough rooms to do that :P Also, having unoriginal rooms was one of the main criticisms of my first hold. Everyone liked the polish (appearance, storyline, voice acting) but wasn't so keen on some of the rooms. So I'm trying my utmost to improve - my end goal is to get a Smitemaster's Selection. If I can get this hold good enough to be rated significantly above 8, then I know I'm ready to at least make a try.

08-22-2007 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
icon Re: Uninspiring (+2)  
Usually, whenever I'm trying to make a "clever" or "inspiring" room, I try to figure out what my lynchpin is going to be. "Player needs roach queen to spawn three roaches, not four" "Player needs all bombs to go off at the same time" "Player needs tar and not tar babies to enter an area" and such. Then I try to make a very simple and easy room with that concept.

Usually, if I can get the room to work properly, I just keep it. A fun and easy room with a clever lynchpin is usually good enough for me - you can put in the challenge later if you feel like it. "Player needs to balance time against access to switches to make tar and not tar babies enter an area"

And, sometimes I, too, just have days where I can't seem to think of a good puzzle. If you can't seem to make puzzles that day, then maybe today is a puzzle-playing day and not a puzzle-making day.

08-22-2007 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Uninspiring (+1)  
calamarain wrote:
Tried to make rooms for my hold today. They worked. They're good rooms. Standard. Slightly challenging. And utterly boring and unoriginal, done several times before.
Hmmm... maybe take a look at Calamarain's DROD Ideas Generator?

Oh, errr... nevermind... :P

np: Ike Yard - NCR (Funkstörung Remiks) (Viceversa)

08-22-2007 at 07:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Dex Stewart wrote:
Usually however, I just say "Hell with it; I'm no Larry or Henri" and keep the rooms as they are, provided they are of at least decent quality.

Fixed.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-22-2007 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
NoahT wrote:
Dex Stewart wrote:
Usually however, I just say "Hell with it; I'm no Larry or Henri or agaricus" and keep the rooms as they are, provided they are of at least decent quality.

Fixed.

-Noah

Yeah, I thought about that, but didn't want to put in more than one name :)

And BTW: Re-fixed :)

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 08-22-2007 08:26 PM]
08-22-2007 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Speaking of whom, where has Wesley been these days? He hasn't posted since 2006. Hope no one minds me going a little off-topic.

-Noah

My stuff:

08-22-2007 at 08:33 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I think he lost interest in DROD and drifted off.

08-22-2007 at 10:09 PM
calamarain
Finally got some inspiration. Made a reasonably good room, not brilliant but it certainly doesn't appear in TCB or any other holds I've played. :) Just like the Hints/Solutions board, posting here helps! :D

08-23-2007 at 01:33 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Yeah, I've got a hold I'm working on, and as RoboBob would attest if he weren't too polite, the last room I posted to it was incredibly uninspired. Still trying to find ways to make it work.
08-23-2007 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
I go by the formula that you're allowed one uninspired room per level. One nice standard room that doesn't tax the brain too much, that you've seen before. The rest have to be at least semi-original.

08-23-2007 at 10:20 AM
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
Dex Stewart wrote:
NoahT wrote:
Dex Stewart wrote:
Usually however, I just say "Hell with it; I'm no Larry or Henri or agaricus or rheb" and keep the rooms as they are, provided they are of at least decent quality.

Fixed.

-Noah

Yeah, I thought about that, but didn't want to put in more than one name :)

And BTW: Re-fixed :)

08-23-2007 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Uninspiring (+2)  
Dex Stewart wrote:
Usually however, I just say "Hell with it; I'm no Larry or Henri or agaricus or rheb or RoboBob" and keep the rooms as they are, provided they are of at least decent quality.
Yes? No?

No?

08-24-2007 at 03:12 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Uninspiring (+1)  
Dex Stewart wrote:
Usually however, I just say "Hell with it; I'm no hold building genius" and keep the rooms as they are, provided they are of at least decent quality.

Ta-dah

08-24-2007 at 08:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Wow! So many people are quoting *me*! It's making me feel giddy inside!
08-24-2007 at 09:28 AM
golfrman
Dex Stewart wrote:
Quoting you?
Whos quoting you?

08-24-2007 at 06:55 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
golfrman wrote:
Dex Stewart wrote:
Quoting you?
Whos quoting you?

You.

and me.

and others.

08-24-2007 at 07:27 PM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
Suddenly, I had disturbing thoughts of how my hold-in-progress is so far 16 levels of these so-called uninspired weeks. I just insist on making a 20-25 level hold for my first hold. Stupid me. But I refuse to drop it because I like the concept. It's like a 3D Mario game; you have to find the entrances to the levels yourself, and some required levels are completely hidden. I have worked hard on making all sorts of clever ways to find certain levels.

On a board where quality greatly outranks quantity, the puzzles I currently have will need a lot of fixing to be worth the 25 levels.

For now, I shall just sneakily shift the blame to "uninspired weeks," since they double as "uninspired first years" when it comes to amateur architects.

08-25-2007 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
25 levels is *very* ambitious. I wish you luck!

08-25-2007 at 03:05 AM
NoahT
calamarain wrote:
25 levels is *very* ambitious.

Without a doubt. I remember that back in 2003, in the early AE days, Clayton was going to make Claythro Tower 26 levels, and I was going to make my hold Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon 27 levels. In the end, Claythro Tower had eight levels of puzzles, and my hold had eight levels total.

-Noah

My stuff:

08-25-2007 at 05:33 AM
Kwakstur
NoahT wrote:
calamarain wrote:
25 levels is *very* ambitious.

Without a doubt. I remember that back in 2003, in the early AE days, Clayton was going to make Claythro Tower 26 levels, and I was going to make my hold Nanfro Budkin's First Dungeon 27 levels. In the end, Claythro Tower had eight levels of puzzles, and my hold had eight levels total.

-Noah
And my total progress is 16 levels so far, the exact sum of both your holds. Mwua ha ha ha ha ha!

Hey, with 16 levels made so far, 13 parts of one grand secret planned to be placed, over 70 level entrances and staircase/warping NPCs, 10 custom images, and 4 months in the making (it feels like 6 months), there is no giving up. There are only two things: Going forwards, or improving what's already there.

08-25-2007 at 06:53 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Remember: Quality over quantity.
08-25-2007 at 08:05 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
Neather2 actually has a hold with 25 levels in Architecture.

...I think NiroZ is correct about it though. :?

08-25-2007 at 02:16 PM
Kwakstur
Yeah, I know. Why do you think everyone loves Magic Show (and other larry holds)? Sure, it only has about 24 puzzles, but they are quite some good puzzles.

That's why I have to do lots of prerelease reworking on stuff I already made. Here, quality is not just more important than quantity . . . you see, in most cases here, quantity is even frowned upon, regardless of quality! So I need to add a lot of work to make it worth the time it takes to master the hold.

It's an inconvenient truth, if I dare say so myself. But, then again, what isn't an inconvenient truth?

08-25-2007 at 03:32 PM
calamarain
I said 25 levels was ambitious, I never said it wasn't doable ;-)

08-25-2007 at 03:58 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
calamarain wrote:
I said 25 levels was ambitious, I never said it wasn't doable ;-)
If it wasn't, we wouldn't have had the original KDD, after all... :)

08-25-2007 at 04:56 PM
golfrman
icon Re: Uninspiring (-1)  
Kwakstur wrote:
an inconvenient truth
If you want to talk about global warming, go to the correct thread.

08-25-2007 at 04:59 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
golfrman wrote:
If you want to talk about global warming, go to the correct thread.
:twak Read, comprehend, then correct if necessary.

08-25-2007 at 06:36 PM
calamarain
One could always cheat... have 25 levels each with three rooms. The entrance room, the exit room and one puzzle room :P

08-25-2007 at 06:51 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Uninspiring
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com