Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What can't you live without?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
What can you absolutely not live without?
Computer
Hot Water
Fast Food
Car
Phone
Air Conditioning/Heating
Indoor Plumbing
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon What can't you live without? (0)  
This is something I thought of a little while ago, which I will now pursue. What from above is absolutely vital to your existance? Please add a reply with anything else I didn't think of, or if you want to say more than one of them (you may only select 1 from the poll itself).

[Edited by DiMono on 11-20-2003 at 05:39 PM GMT]

11-20-2003 at 05:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: What can't you live without? (0)  
I vote for #7 - DROD. :)

11-20-2003 at 05:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
So, you could live if you had DROD, but no computer to play it on? :D

11-20-2003 at 05:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Hey, if Erik started on paper, I could give it a shot if I had to ;)

11-20-2003 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
If I am forced to choose from that list, I would say computer. Especially if you lump video games in with that. :D But as long as I have my books, it wouldn't kill me to be without my computer. Music is different, it's the background while I'm on the computer or reading.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-20-2003 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
If I choose something other than "hot water", do I loose the privaledge of all water or just hot water, or are we just pretending that cold water doesn't exist just for the sake of the argument, because if I don't get water, I definitely can't live without that, but if its only hot water I probably could survive.

Now on the other hand, food is probably something I couldn't live without. So I might have to choose fast food... but what exactly does the fast food catagory consider as fast food? Does it mean food from a fast food restaurant, or does it mean food you can prepare in under 30 minutes? Oh, I'm so confused, I might just have to use the .......:indian Indian smiliey?

Hmmm.... what to pick... I think I'll have a Pepsi while I'm brainstorming. :pepsi. Hah! I used the smiliey that has no use! I'm da man yo. :glasses

I think I'm going to pick the computer choice, especially if the computer also comes with hot water, fast food, cars, phones, and AC and heating.

Peace Out

-Zmann (the one with the big eybrows; maybe I should clip them...)
11-21-2003 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Um... you're supposed to choose all that apply, ladies and gentlemen, and add to your selection in posts if necessary

And it's only hot water, you get to keep the cold

Edit to list: Add 7 "Indoor Plumbing"

11-21-2003 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Oh, if you put it that way...sorry, you weren't very clear. Let's see, if I have my computer I can get away with not having a phone. I live close to school/work and only use my car on the weekends, and could probably live without it. Fast food I could easily live without, because I like the burgers I barbeque for myself better than most stuff out there anyway (unless that still counts as "fast food"). And I usually live in places that don't have AC, and even though we sometimes run the heater it's not necessary; I often just bundle up. (I live in San Diego too so it's not really a big deal. :D ) However, I really do like my daily hot shower...it's hard to wake up without it if I don't get enough sleep (which happens every weekday). So I guess my second choice would be hot water. And if you want to add indoor plumbing to the list, then I'd have to say while I could live without it, I sure wouldn't want to.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-21-2003 at 07:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
I choose computer. It is just that you can do so much with them. If it weren't for computers, this question wouldn't have beem asked to us, since there would've been no forum! :w00t

Also, computers really extend possibilities for free time.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-22-2003 at 06:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
NoahT wrote:
:w00t

-Noah

I think we'll see this one a lot more from Noah.

Matt

11-22-2003 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
I hope this poll isn't serious.

I've lived without all those things at some point, and hot water is really the only contestent.

PS - You forgot the most vital need, after air and water... friends.
11-23-2003 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Hmmm... I don't think I ever lived without a phone, or indoor plumbing (except on camping trips and such, but those were always very short duration - I'm not an outdoorsman). I've also owned a computer more or less continuously since I was 7 (I just realized that it's nearly exactly 20 years since I got my first commodore 64 for my 7th birthday - whoa.)

On the other hand, I currently live without a car, and of course I hadn't had one until I was in my late teens. We had no fast food in Israel until my late teens, either. I've lived for years in a place (my parent's house) where hot water was rather unreliable - some days I had it, other not. We didn't have air conditioning in the summer, though we did have heating in the winter (even though the summers were much hotter than the winters were cold; but air conditioning wasn't very common back home when I was growing up either).

My answer of computer was serious - the only real contender is indoor plumbing; everything else I really don't care that much about. But while lack of indoor plumbing will be a major nuisance, lack of a computer will require a major change to my lifestyle.

11-23-2003 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
bdcribbs wrote:
I hope this poll isn't serious.
Actually, it is. Recently our hot water was knocked out, and when we called the owner of our water heater (it's leased, as most non-homeowners won't know) we were told that being without hot water was considered an emergency. I want to know what modern ameneties people feel they literally cannot live without, but which people did live without not very long ago.

11-23-2003 at 04:54 AM
eytanz
Hot water, it seems to me, is really a luxury - it's a very common luxury, but most people don't need it. It's easy to get used to taking cold showers, and if you have a way to boil water, you can always do that whenever you need hot water for anything else.

Of course, a water heater serves other purposes (like raising the water above freezing temprature in the winter in many places in the world). But I don't think the lack of hot water is really more than a (substantial) inconvenience.

11-23-2003 at 04:59 AM
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
Well, that's what I was saying... plumping you can live without, with proper usage, and a bucket, some sawdust, you don't need running water... but you need water and a way to heat it up... but these things don't compare to having a computer and other things that made me think the poll was a satire.

PS, I know my previous post show up twice... but I try to delete the extra one and the php hangs up on me...

[Edited by bdcribbs on 11-23-2003 at 05:03 AM GMT]
11-23-2003 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
I could live without fast food and a car, but couldn't live without food and a fast car. (I prefer a fast motorbike, but it didn't fit in with the poll.)
11-23-2003 at 10:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Mattcrampy wrote:
I think we'll see this one a lot more from Noah.

I'm just curious: What makes you say that?

Also, I just realized that in my post I created an accidental word to go with "mothingness," with is "beem," instead of "been." :D

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-29-2003 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
He was referring to the smiley you used...I believe he thinks it reflects your personality very well and you will probably use it a lot.

Game on,

11-29-2003 at 06:41 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Oneiros is right on the money here. I saw it and thought 'goofy!'

Matt

11-29-2003 at 11:20 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
bdcribbs wrote:
PS - You forgot the most vital need, after air and water... friends.
Nope... It's food/nutrition.

You can survive alone in the desert with no friends or communications devices, but lots of food and water. You could not survive surrounded by friends, even with lots of water, if you do not eat (Well, at least, not for very long).

12-06-2003 at 10:33 PM
Oneiromancer
Perhaps you could eat your friends? :devil

Sorry, the joke just had to be made.

There's also a nice and fun Stephen King short story about a doctor who gets stranded on a desert island and has to successively amputate his own body parts to keep himself alive. It's a good bedtime story.

Game on,

12-06-2003 at 10:47 PM
Schik
I must say, you beat me to the punch. :(

I was thinking along the lines of "I'd bring a bunch of friends with me, because they could be used for companionship OR nourishment."

12-06-2003 at 11:00 PM
Oneiromancer
I think your current avatar is more appropriate to the comment though. :)

Game on,

12-07-2003 at 12:39 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
DiMono, I assume you mean "the one that I prefer most of all" and not "the one where I will die if you don't have it". Because that's what the question sounds like.

(I have to make sure before I vote).

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-13-2003 at 01:49 AM
DiMono
I mean "What will prevent you from living your life?"

Do you honestly think that if you didn't have one or more of these things, you wouldn't be able to live properly? And if there's more than one thing, bring it up in the thread, as the board only allows one vote per person

12-14-2003 at 04:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : What can't you live without? Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com