Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Obligatory Leaving Forever Thread
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Obligatory Leaving Forever Thread (+1)  
I believe I said that if the bureaucracy didn't stop here and now, I was going to leave on account of I didn't want to watch a trainwreck.

Since, um, apparently I can't stop the rock (or dance like madonna into the groovy), and man I have no further desire to argue this issue, I'mma get out while the getting's good.

Yes, this is vaguely attention-whoreish, but this is more to avoid that awkward, 'Hey, where did Banj go' two weeks down the line than anything.

08-18-2007 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Obligatory Leaving Forever Thread (0)  
Sigh.

You might also have just said, "I'm kind of tired of DROD stuff and think I'll do some other things for a while." Are you really that freaked out about the Bureaucracy? It seems like an overreaction, to be honest.

-Erik

08-18-2007 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Obligatory Leaving Forever Thread (+1)  
:(
So when the cleanup is over (or it becomes obvious that it won't be necessary) can we invite you back?
If not, what do we do with your unfinished hold?
..."Forever". Or will you even read this?
ErikH2000 wrote:
You might also have just said, "I'm kind of tired of DROD stuff and think I'll do some other things for a while." Are you really that freaked out about the Bureaucracy? It seems like an overreaction, to be honest.
I don't believe he said he was quitting DROD. I think some don't quite realize just what a reasonable place this forum really is, and I think Banjooie realized and liked it. I think he's been through many forums and perceives a disturbing pattern here that has ruined previous hangouts of his, and doesn't want to stay through another dramatic decline into something awful. Pun intended; we might well end up featured on Weekend Web if things get bad.
That's my theory, anyway. I am willing to wait and see before declaring all lost, but I think I understand the fear. Oh, the fear...

[Last edited by Jatopian at 08-18-2007 11:37 PM]
08-18-2007 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
ErikH2000 wrote:
Are you really that freaked out about the Bureaucracy?
Well, I'm not exactly thrilled about it either, but my usual reaction to stuff like it is to simply shrug it off.

I.e. I will stay really, really far away from the Bureaucracy boards. But that's it... unless I'll have to fill out a form each time I want to make a post... :)

Wait a second... I already do that, right? :lol

np: Tocotronic - Kapitulation (Kapitulation)

08-19-2007 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Briareos wrote:
I.e. I will stay really, really far away from the Bureaucracy boards. But that's it... unless I'll have to fill out a form each time I want to make a post... :)
Right. And I do aim to keep it ignorable, so people that don't care about it, don't have to deal with it.

-Erik

08-19-2007 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
:(

I'll be sad to see you go. I hope you'll come back at some point.
08-19-2007 at 02:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Come back, Banjooie. I'm going to be an extreme jerk and be awful and terrible by committing a single act: assuming you don't know something.

And that something is - now that all the Bureaucracy forums are in their own Bureaucracy category on the main forum index, clicking the small minus sign next to "The Bureaucracy" will get rid of all those nasty forums of form and function that you hate so much, and allow you to skip down to the boards that you deem important to yourself.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-19-2007 03:31 AM]
08-19-2007 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I don't think Banjooie cares about just reading the forums, I think he feels that the act of giving power (even in a limited capacity) to anyone that wants it (more or less) will cause divisiveness and megalomania. Since the positions of the Caravellian Bureaucracy aren't meant to be confined to only the Bureaucracy boards, I imagine he feels that he won't be able to escape them even if he minimizes those boards.

I guess we'll see what happens, but while I don't care to participate, I don't think it is the end of the world either. I also think he should have left off the "forever" part because I don't think disgust with a forum would stop him from playing a game (and perhaps using the hints and solutions board) that he obviously enjoys, and coming back when the next sequel comes out makes you look dumb for having said you were leaving forever. ;)

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-19-2007 at 04:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
A new type of forumer: independent. Means that that person can ignore anything about the Caravellian Bureaucracy.

I'm an independent forumer.

[Last edited by Monkey at 08-19-2007 06:54 PM]
08-19-2007 at 04:26 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
What's the fun of leaving before you get to see the trainwreck?
It's like hearing a joke but leaving before the punchline... c'mon, don't you want to see people acting all stupid and dramatic about insignificant stuff, while the guys in charge scramble around aimlessly like headless chickens, in the firm belief that things will fix themselves if you just give them some time?

Err, more than usual that is. C'mon, it will be fun!

08-19-2007 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
...damn, I never got Banj's MSN.

(I still secretly suspect that the Bureaucracy's going to end up being a trainwreck, as most of the problems are going to be triggered by a random cause.)

08-19-2007 at 08:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Obligatory Leaving Forever Thread (+2)  
Real trains usually never end up as trainwrecks. And that's because most trains are equipped with brakes, so that they can be stopped at train stations, and emergency brakes for use in emergencies.

It goes without saying, that systems without brakes will always end up as trainwrecks.

That is the main distinction between a civil engineer and a aspriring train designer. Most of these "desingers" always make sure that the train works, but forgot to put a brake on it.

By the way, anyone knows a good Pokémon forum? Seriously.

[Last edited by Tim at 08-19-2007 10:16 AM]
08-19-2007 at 10:15 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Oneiromancer wrote:
I also think he should have left off the "forever" part because I don't think disgust with a forum would stop him from playing a game (and perhaps using the hints and solutions board) that he obviously enjoys, and coming back when the next sequel comes out makes you look dumb for having said you were leaving forever. ;)

This might be a shock, but it is possible to play a game without visiting its forum. Even for DROD! He never said, "I'll never play DROD again."

08-19-2007 at 10:50 AM
Mattcrampy
icon Re: Obligatory Leaving Forever Thread (+4)  
Finalised list of things that Banjooie has been confused and angered by:
The Contest forum
A yellow street light
Didouneto
Small children
Non-Newtonian fluids
Gnocchi in the pasta section when they're made of potato
Workplace reforms
Jeff_Ray
Superannuation/401k forms
Chicken biscuits
Several feature suggestions
The Yellow Face, he hates us, he burns us
Orienteering
Reality television
That Numa Numa video
All these people walking around these days wearing almost nothing, it's disgraceful
The collapse of the Berlin Wall
Easy listening music
Round tuits
Lists of things Banjooie is confused and angered by
Puns
Labels on food that describe what the food is made out of as if it's a value-add
The Bureaucracy
The CaravelNet Forum

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 08-19-2007 12:14 PM]
08-19-2007 at 11:53 AM
vittro
Rank Points: 479
See ya, we'll miss your crazy sarcasm...

08-19-2007 at 12:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Bye Banjooie - you will certainly be missed.

And while I don't quite think this is an overreaction, I think this is premature - you're reacting to what *might* happen with the beaurocracy. I dislike the idea as well, but I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude.

08-19-2007 at 01:33 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Yeah. While I definitely see the possibility of wrecking trains ahead, I don't think the damage would be irreparable even if the brakes don't work in time. Or it might not even be a complete disaster, who knows.

Anyway, we others here care about the forum too, Banj. We won't just let it go down as easy as that.

08-19-2007 at 07:40 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Banjooie wrote:Yes, this is vaguely attention-whoreish...
Only vaguely?
08-20-2007 at 04:25 AM
techant
Rank Points: 854
Well I wish you would stay Banjooie but thanks for giving us a chance to try and change your mind and if that fails then to say good-bye. :wavecry:

As to the the Bureaucracy idea it may fail but we do have to help Erik come up with some solution to the issues he raised when he came up with the idea.

From experince I know that an all volunteer organization is always hard to keep up but many hands do make light work. It is just managing all the many hands. Few hands make more work for each but are easier to control and manage. You can get a train-wreak either way. :stretcher

08-20-2007 at 04:56 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I betcha this is all part of a cleverly disguised campaign.

08-20-2007 at 03:23 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
RoboBob3000 wrote:

Wait, so are you saying that Banjooie and zonhin haven't really left, and are part of some conspiracy?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-20-2007 at 10:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
NoahT wrote:
RoboBob3000 wrote:

Wait, so are you saying that Banjooie and zonhin haven't really left, and are part of some conspiracy?

-Noah

Yeah. I didn't actually leave. I was making fun of... oh wait, are you joking too?

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
08-20-2007 at 10:37 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
zonhin wrote:
Yeah. I didn't actually leave. I was making fun of... oh wait, are you joking too?
Unfortunately, I think he was serious.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-20-2007 at 10:38 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3741
Banj, please don't leave. Your sardonic wit is half the reason I read the forums. The other half, is, you know, all that DROD stuff.

As others have pointed out, you can always ignore all the bureaucracy chat if you don't like it.

08-20-2007 at 10:49 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Oneiromancer wrote:
zonhin wrote:
Unfortunately, I think he was serious.

Well, the conspiracy part was a joke.

Wait, were you talking about me or Banjooie?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-20-2007 at 10:55 PM
Mattcrampy
Nup, Banj isn't joking. I'm sure he's aware he's welcome back if things haven't gone pear-shaped with this bureaucracy thing, though.

08-21-2007 at 02:50 AM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
...He-ll be welcome back anyway.
08-21-2007 at 05:44 AM
Mattcrampy
Dex Stewart wrote:
...He-ll be welcome back anyway.

True, but I doubt he'd be interested in coming back if things go pear-shaped.

08-21-2007 at 08:12 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Mattcrampy wrote:
if things go pear-shaped.
:offtopic Why do we say this, anyway?

08-21-2007 at 10:44 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jatopian wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
if things go pear-shaped.
:offtopic Why do we say this, anyway?
Pick one

np: Funkstörung - Cement Shoes (ft. Enik) (Disconnected)

08-21-2007 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Obligatory Leaving Forever Thread
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com