Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : READ THIS NOW!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
droddude21
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
IP: Logged
icon READ THIS NOW! (0)  
I know where to find Webfoot DROD! I am not crazy!
I found it as abandonware!

Follow the steps:
Go to www.the-underdogs.org
Find Search for Title or something like that
Type the ENTIRE Deadly Rooms of Death
Pick the Non-Caravel DROD.
Go down to Get it at (or something simalar)
Click "click here"
Scroll down untill you see a code.
Put the code in the textbox.
Type go.
Wait!

Now, you may not want this. That's fine with me. But if you are
nostaligic, and you want to see Caravel's roots,
this is the place to do it.
So find it your hearts to find see what ugly, sixteen colour game seed of yesterday, became the wonderful, upgrade all the way to the mighty apple tree of today.

P.S I didn't want to say Caravel was bad.
P.S.S Man, that last bit was corny.
11-20-2003 at 03:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: READ THIS NOW! (0)  
Webfoot is abandonware, but both Erik and I have reservations about its distribution.

Erik has reservations mostly because it's still copyrighted. Although free games are cool, companies that don't support their games are still uncomfortable about people playing them for free because it's their intellectual property, and if they don't defend it, they lose it. This is a bad thing when you want to make a sequel or and upgrade because anyone else can beat you to the punch.

Both Erik and I have reservations about it because Webfoot is a poor substitute for Caravel. I guess if you really wanted to see where DROD had been, but that's really the only reason. You're not missing out on anything otherwise.

Of course, this is all entirely irrelevant because The Underdogs graciously redirects anyone trying to download Webfoot to Caravel instead, while patiently explaining that it's a remake and they're not missing out on anything except sixteen-colour graphics and a MIDI soundtrack (which we've got for Caravel, probably buried too deep, in the Extra Downloads page).

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 11-20-2003 at 03:51 AM GMT]

11-20-2003 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Mattcrampy wrote:
Of course, this is all entirely irrelevant because The Underdogs graciously redirects anyone trying to download Webfoot to Caravel instead, while patiently explaining that it's a remake and they're not missing out on anything except sixteen-colour graphics and a MIDI soundtrack (which we've got for Caravel, probably buried too deep, in the Extra Downloads page).

Exactly the point I was going to make. The webmaster of The Underdogs does not provide games that are available for money elsewhere. In addition, she is a big fan of DROD, and I believe is happily directing people here when she can. Including on that webpage that you found. So, droddude21, a little more research might be in order. It's good that you want to help, but showing some restraint is good too.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-20-2003 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
A little moderation in choosing a title for your threads would be nice, too. Most of the people on this forum really don't need to read about where Webfoot DROD can be found - basically, only Erik and Matt can do anything about it. And even for them I'm pretty sure it's not so urgent an issue that anything bad will happen if they don't READ THIS NOW but wait until later to do so.

11-20-2003 at 06:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Matt's already here, and I did take a cursory look just in case.

I'd rename it, but it's probably a breach of free-speech or something to try and decide what he'd call the topic, so maybe it's best just to let it fall off the main page. Of course, that means there's the risk of Noah reviving it a month after everyone else has left it alone.

...what?

The biggest issue, as I see it, is that the last half of his 'steps' are false. I happened to stop by the Underdogs the other day to see if they had DROD:AE up, and followed the link from Webfoot DROD. This sort of thing is a pet peeve - 'secret knowledge', giving a complex series of steps that just so happen to not work after the first few.

In any case, the very best idea if you find a copy of Webfoot floating around is to give me or Erik a holler and we'll pop along and politely inform them we've got a version of DROD that's in the public domain and would they mind linking that instead.

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 11-20-2003 at 03:39 PM GMT]

11-20-2003 at 03:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Mattcrampy wrote:
Matt's already here.

It's probably a breach of free-speech or something to try and decide what he'd call the topic, so maybe it's best just to let it fall off the main page.

Well, sure - I'm not saying that you should go around changing his topic names or something. I was just bringing it to his attention that I don't think the name is appropriate. If he wants to continue doing so, that's his right, but what he'll achieve is that I (and probably others) just won't read any thread by him.

The biggest issue, as I see it, is that the last half of his 'steps' are false. I happened to stop by the Underdogs the other day to see if they had DROD:AE up, and followed the link from Webfoot DROD. This sort of thing is a pet peeve - 'secret knowledge', giving a complex series of steps that just so happen to not work after the first few.

Well, yeah, there's that too. But I'm working on the assumption that he's just someone very overenthusiastic who doesn't have the habit of actually thinking before posting, or running through every step of his post before claiming that it works. Which is why I think explaining to him how he can become a more productive poster is in place - if I'm wrong, and he's actually just a troll trying to annoy or misinform us, I'm sure that'll become apparent before long.

11-20-2003 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
eytanz wrote:

Well, yeah, there's that too. But I'm working on the assumption that he's just someone very overenthusiastic who doesn't have the habit of actually thinking before posting, or running through every step of his post before claiming that it works. Which is why I think explaining to him how he can become a more productive poster is in place - if I'm wrong, and he's actually just a troll trying to annoy or misinform us, I'm sure that'll become apparent before long.

I'm honestly not sure what to think. It's probably a given he didn't try it himself - the most we can say he did was to visit the Underdogs and find Webfoot DROD come up.

At the same time, I'm a little worried that either I've fallen in the trap of being disgusted at all the new users simply because they're new (a trap everyone else seems to have deftly avoided), or it's sections of my own personality taking hold of my posting and taking them into uncomfortable waters; neither option is a comfort. It's great we've got new players, but at the same time...

At the very least, at least someone's having a look around, and that can only be a good thing.

Matt

11-20-2003 at 04:01 PM
droddude21
Oops. I didn't see that. O:- (tries to smile and act like inocent little boy.
11-21-2003 at 02:29 AM
droddude21
Sorry guys. I just saw the link and decided to blab it all out to you. But you guys are right. It's old, it's ugly, you can't get it any more, and Beethro looks uglier. So it's the anscestor of Caravel. So?

P.S Tell Matt I want a signature! You guys have suggestions?
P.S.S Watch for my poll!
11-21-2003 at 02:32 AM
Aris Katsaris
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
droddude21 wrote:
Sorry guys. I just saw the link and decided to blab it all out to you. But you guys are right. It's old, it's ugly, you can't get it any more, and Beethro looks uglier. So it's the anscestor of Caravel. So?

P.S.S Watch for my poll!

Droddude, I know you are new and I know you are a kid, but I'd urge you to cool down a bit on this respect. You've only just started playing the game, you've said so yourself. Keep on playing and enjoying it, there's really no need to go all hyperactive on us just yet. This is the time to just play it! :-)

In a couple weeks, when you understand the sense of the game a bit better, you'll have quite worthwhile contributions to make -- while previously, some of e.g. your suggestions weren't making sense because you didn't know much about the actual game...

11-21-2003 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
droddude21 wrote:

Well, it's more that it's not that hard to find, but at the same time there's no need to lead people to it.

Check your inbox about the signatures, or the FAQ. I'm sure Oneiros has pounced as well.

Matt

11-22-2003 at 04:54 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Mattcrampy wrote:
I'm sure Oneiros has pounced as well.

I can't do everything. I purposely left this one for you to field. After all, he asked you personally. :devil

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-22-2003 at 08:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Oneiromancer wrote:
After all, he asked you personally. :devil

Game on,
Man, a hundred and one good "Matt, why is Oneiros so..." jokes just died because I'm a nice guy :D

the-underdogs.org is where I first got DROD from, 2 years ago I downloaded Webfoot because it's what was there. A while ago I actually went back to see if I could still get Webfoot there, and discovered the new link. droddude was probably just remembering those days.

11-22-2003 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Actually, as Droddude explains above, he just saw the Underdogs has an entry for Webfoot, and assumed that the download link will work like in other underdogs entries.

11-22-2003 at 11:31 PM
DiMono
Yes, but I was trying to provide a gracious exit for him, which you've ruined. Ruined, ruined ruined. How do you sleep at night?</sarcasm>

11-23-2003 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
I don't think graceful exits work very well when they contradict a confession a few posts back... Besides, admitting you were wrong is about as graceful as you can get in my book.

11-23-2003 at 04:17 AM
DiMono
Fair enough. Though it probably would have been funny if he had contradicted himself, knowing the conversations that have occured after his posts.

11-23-2003 at 04:26 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : READ THIS NOW!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com