Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : make light calculation faster
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
IP: Logged
icon make light calculation faster (+1)  
Not sure if it is a bug, but certainly worth a request:

The room in A Mini Adventure! : Level 1 : 2 West becomes very slow when you are trying to break the walls.

The problem is caused by the lights in the room. They have a very high intensity.
If I replace all of them with lights of lower intensity, the room can be completed much faster.

Is it possible to make the lighting calculations faster?

PS. I'm playing this on 3.0.0.

[Last edited by Tim at 08-13-2007 12:50 AM]
08-13-2007 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: make light calculation faster (0)  
Hmm. I'm not quite sure what to say about it.

Yes, it would be nice. Although I haven't been to the room (nor can I see it), so I don't know if this happens to everyone or just you.

I don't know how it currently does it, but I already have an idea of it could work better. Instead of calculating the pixels around each individual light (assuming that's how it does it), there could be a whole layer of light stored in the game. It shows what RBG values should be added to each pixel, and is applied every frame.

This light layer should only be updated when entering a room or on the first frame after hitting an orb, activating a pressure plate, or having an NPC activate an item.

Hopefully, it's possible to do, and is better than the current system. If not, then we still need to know how to pull this off.

08-13-2007 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: make light calculation faster (+1)  
But shadows, etc. have to be recalculated each time a wall is broken, hence the problem.
08-13-2007 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : make light calculation faster
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No