Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD: AE low resource message
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
IP: Logged
icon DROD: AE low resource message (0)  
Okay, so I'm a poor kid with a crap computer, but does DROD: AE have to remind me of that every time I start? Because I always get the warning message that there should be no problems, but maybe it would be better to free up some memory by closing running apps. Only, there are no other apps running. Maybe if the situation is permanent, you should be able to turn this message off. I realise it may make sense for the check to run at each execution on computers that satisfy the condition otherwise, but in this case it's rather uneffective. On the other hand, maybe the threshhold should be set lower and the message should be changed to "Your computer is about to experience a thermal meltdown...". ;) At any rate, it runs fine alongside Corel Photo Paint 10, which makes me think there may be a bit more room for error with the current threshhold than one would suspect.

leroy

11-17-2003 at 12:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: DROD: AE low resource message (0)  
Yeah, I agree that the threshold is too high - on my office computer, I always get the message, but DROD runs fine. On my home computer, I get the message if I'm playing a DVD on the background, but DROD still runs fine.

11-17-2003 at 02:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I think if you play in fullscreen mode DROD doesn't need as many resources and so it's even less to worry about. If you have the time and inclination, a journey through the Bugs board may reveal the reason why this message is included, because I do kind of remember the resource use being discussed and the warning dialog being added.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-17-2003 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think if you play in fullscreen mode DROD doesn't need as many resources and so it's even less to worry about. If you have the time and inclination, a journey through the Bugs board may reveal the reason why this message is included, because I do kind of remember the resource use being discussed and the warning dialog being added.

Game on,

Hmm. I always play in fullscreen mode. Like I said, it's an old computer, but if DROD runs beside multiple apps but I still get the message when running nothing but DROD, I would think the threshhold is a bit high.

leroy

11-17-2003 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Hmm...there's probably a way to check how much total memory there is, and at least change the message if most of it's free. Hmm...but that's not quite what you want...maybe we can add a "Don't show this message again" checkbox along with the warning.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-18-2003 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD: AE low resource message
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com