Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : 12 and a half!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon 12 and a half! (0)  
Today, I am exactly half past my 12th year. But why is it so special? Because they are the last 6 months before I become a teen. ^_^

There are so many things that are cool to do as a teen, so I really can't wait. I just hope I won't be forced to drink alcohol, take drugs or smoke some cigarettes! X_x

But don't worry, I'll always stay here for as long as it is worth it.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-02-2007 at 02:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
icon Re: 12 and a half! (0)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
There are so many things that are cool to do as a teen, so I really can't wait. I just hope I won't be forced to drink alcohol, take drugs or smoke some cigarettes! X_x

Whoever said that kids do that are mostly just trying to scare you into not smoking. Don't worry, nobody will ask you. Or if they do, depending on how good your school is, either run or say no. ;)

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye

[Last edited by zonhin at 08-02-2007 04:28 PM]
08-02-2007 at 04:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
golfrman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 165
zonhin wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

Whoever said that kids do that are mostly just trying to scare you into not smoking. Don't worry, nobody will ask you. Or if they do, depending on how good your school is, either run or say no. ;)
yep, i haven't been asked about any of that stuff yet. (although i've only finished my freshman year so far.)

08-02-2007 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
Alcohol blows. I live in the UK, so I wonder how our other countries think about our mentality towards alcohol... :P It's like I'm unable to criticise...

Drugs suck.

Smoking sucks.

I can't remember the cool stuff I did when I was 13. I think I was getting arty and all emo and stuff. Oh, I liked Korn and the internet was a fun place with bunny rabbits and such stuff. And Quake on a 36.6k modem. I think...

08-02-2007 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I just hope I won't be forced to drink alcohol, take drugs or smoke some cigarettes! X_x
Then stay as far away from Austria as possible - if we were to believe our local media then a significant part of the teens here are binge drinking like there's no tomorrow; as if they were being forced to... :rolleyes

np: Richie Hawtin - Where Is Mayday (DE9 - Transitions)

[Last edited by Briareos at 08-02-2007 09:49 PM]
08-02-2007 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
Briareos wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
I just hope I won't be forced to drink alcohol, take drugs or smoke some cigarettes! X_x
Then stay as far away from Austria as possible - if we were to believe our local media then a significant part of the teens here are binge drinking like there's no tomorrow; as if they were being forced to... :rolleyes

np: Richie Hawtin - Where Is Mayday (DE9 - Transitions)

Wow, Europe isn't that different from America after all!

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
08-02-2007 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
zonhin wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Wow, Europe isn't that different from America after all!
Well, there's hardly an US fad (at least I hope it is one) that didn't find it's way here... :D

np: Benni Hemm Hemm - Sweaty In The Sunshine (Benni Hemm Hemm)

08-02-2007 at 10:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
Kids with cans of White Lightning (dirt cheap not very good tasting alcohol) sitting on park benches, with white baseball caps and hoodies.

Just an average day. Our kids are drinking like there is no tomorrow as well...

08-02-2007 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I got asked to drink and smoke all the time.

I just said 'Yeah, no', but they were like 'what, come on'.

I never got the 'or we won't be your friend' thing, but that's because the idea of someone turning down alcohol was so mystifying to them they had to understand it better.

But that was when I was 16-17, so.

08-03-2007 at 12:14 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
As a retired druggie once told me*
Your friends will never pressure you into taking drugs. The ones who do simply want to laugh at the newbie who doesn't know how to handle it/pull pranks on you (not that they'll be drugged to, so their pranks may be in ill taste/downright dangerous). By the same token, never try out a new drug with people that you don't trust. **
* My term, not his
** Not verbatim

As for cigarettes, they aren't as potent as other drugs (including alcohol) and thus the 'I was inebriated at the time, thus anything I do should be discounted' (one of the more popular reasons why people take drugs at parties) won't work. Thus, people who do pressure you to take them are complete idiots (I have stronger words for those people, but I'm not sure they're appropriate on this forum) who feel insecure enough that they need other people to do the same thing as they are in order to make it ok. Likewise, they're not your friends.

People who drink regularly/binge drink are usually (in my experience) actually fairly unhappy with themselves, which ironically enough, sometimes stems from the fact that they drink. Thus, the reasons why they will pressure you to drink will stem from the reasons shown above. It's actually fairly easy to avoid at your age, and until you reach the 16-18 mark, most people (including older drinkers) think that your idiot for consuming alcohol anyway.
08-03-2007 at 02:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
For me, high school worked the other way. Whenever I walked past skeezy types, they'd ask me for a light or if they could bum a smoke. Needless to say, I wasn't a viable source. I must have looked the part, though.

I never pass on an opportunity for the cigar smiley.

:cigar

08-03-2007 at 04:11 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Banjooie wrote:

I never got the 'or we won't be your friend' thing, but that's because the idea of someone turning down alcohol was so mystifying to them they had to understand it better.

If there were someone who wouldn't be my friend unless I smoked or got drunk or high, then that's definitely a person I wouldn't even want for a friend. Now if that person only did it him/herself, but didn't want the same from me, that would be a different story. Still, if you're a member of this forum, and you're going to be addicted to anything, it should be DROD (that's not up to me though). :D

My two cents.

-Noah

My stuff:

08-03-2007 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: 12 and a half! (+2)  
I should probably be responsible here and say that this is probably not so much the place for a conversation about drugs, partly because it's a thorny problem as it is, partly because it's hard to argue that there's a place on a puzzle game forum frequented by kids to have that sort of discussion, and partly because there's always some wiener who has to come in and be pro-drugs to be contrary.

That said:

I went to uni somewhat early, so I wasn't of drinking age. I spent a sobering year watching what people were like drunk without having drunk myself. My mother's entire spiel about drugs was recalling parties she'd gone to in the 60s where people were sitting around under the effects of cannabis, doing nothing, and then saying the next day how exciting it was to stare at nothing at all for three hours.

Most of the appeal, I suspect, is that everyone else is doing it at the same time. Some of the appeal's delusion and/or novelty. Both you can get elsewhere much, much easier (team sports, for instance, or religion; delusion is readily available through the magic of tinfoil, imagination and paranoia; and novelty is readily obtained by going and doing new things, like volunteering, or computer games in a pinch).

08-03-2007 at 05:48 PM
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
Banjooie wrote:

This is generally my experience too.. I used to hang out with 'the cool kids' but they were used to my stubborness, and inability to agree and 'go with the crowd' on many things :)

... if they suggested something, and I said "no", that was it, end of story - and they knew it!!

So, if I can give ANY advice in this topic, I'll say "do what you feel is right" - don't be pressured into anything - even if your mates are doing it. If they make you feel bad for not joining in, they aren't your mates in the first place.

[Last edited by jamie at 08-03-2007 11:37 PM]
08-03-2007 at 11:34 PM
lakibuk
Rank Points: 93
When i was 9 or something a friend was smoking with an older boy. I refused so the older boy said that i would get whipped (yes, whipped) when i come to high-school and refuse to smoke there. Haha, i was scared. But the story was nonsense and i went to a different school anyway.

[Last edited by lakibuk at 08-04-2007 08:23 PM]
08-04-2007 at 08:21 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Well, thanks for the info, but I hope you won't forget my 13th birthday! It's an important step for me, you know. :/

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-08-2007 at 08:19 PM
NiroZ
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Well, thanks for the info, but I hope you won't forget my 13th birthday! It's an important step for me, you know. :/
Don't worry. At one point in time the same issues scared the crap out of me too.
08-09-2007 at 07:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
There are very rarely strange men standing outside the school to lure you off into terrible scenarios. Most schools have gotten wise by now to scary men leering at the kiddies, and get them carted off.

Heh, once I told my grandmother I couldn't accept a lift from her because she was a stranger and I couldn't take lifts from strangers. To be fair, she didn't have a huge amount to do with us at that point.

08-09-2007 at 07:53 AM
NiroZ
Mattcrampy wrote:
Heh, once I told my grandmother I couldn't accept a lift from her because she was a stranger and I couldn't take lifts from strangers. To be fair, she didn't have a huge amount to do with us at that point.
How did she react to that?
08-09-2007 at 11:09 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : 12 and a half!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com