Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Eytan Zweig
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Eytan Zweig (0)  
Eytan, how do you pronounce your name? (Need this for your certificate.) I will try a guess:

Ey - like "hay" and accent on this syllable.
tan - like "ton"
Zw - German pronunciation, like "zv"?
ei - like "deep"
g - like "beg"

With your linguistic talents, I'm sure you will make it quite clear! ;)

-Erik

11-16-2003 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdcribbs
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 390
icon Re: Eytan Zweig (0)  
The certificate is going to speak the name aloud?
11-16-2003 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Awesome!

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-16-2003 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1132
Speaking of the certificates, when exactly will they be sent, Erik?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-16-2003 at 04:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
My first name; "ey" rhymes with "hey". "tan" rhymes with "stun". Different people place the accent in different places; I don't care, but my parents put the stress on the second syllable, so I guess that's the technically correct one.

The "ei" in my last name is the same as in "height"; the "g" is a regular English 'g' at the end of the word (the original German devoices it so it sounds like a 'k', but I don't say it that way). As for the initial consonants - that's a bit more complicated, since I myself use different sounds when speaking different languages; in Hebrew I'd say it similar to the German, so it comes out "tzv"; in English I read it phonetically.

If you can read IPA, I can upload a transcription.

[Edited by eytanz on 11-16-2003 at 05:29 AM GMT]

11-16-2003 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
NoahT wrote:
Speaking of the certificates, when exactly will they be sent, Erik?
You can pin me down like that! When I'm done with 'em, I'll mail 'em. :)

-Erik

11-16-2003 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Surely you mean he can't pin you down, Erik?

And bdcribbs: he needs pronunciation because AFAIK they're going to be in Sihmpuhl Englihsh. Although if he needs to ask everyone with a slightly odd name he may be a while in writing them.

"Oook!"
11-16-2003 at 11:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
krammer wrote:
Yeah, that's what I meant. Any good contractor avoids giving an estimate until he absolutely must.

-Erik

11-16-2003 at 04:18 PM
ErikH2000
eytanz wrote:
My first name; "ey" rhymes with "hey". "tan" rhymes with "stun". Different people place the accent in different places; I don't care, but my parents put the stress on the second syllable, so I guess that's the technically correct one.

The "ei" in my last name is the same as in "height"; the "g" is a regular English 'g' at the end of the word (the original German devoices it so it sounds like a 'k', but I don't say it that way). As for the initial consonants - that's a bit more complicated, since I myself use different sounds when speaking different languages; in Hebrew I'd say it similar to the German, so it comes out "tzv"; in English I read it phonetically.

If you can read IPA, I can upload a transcription.
The above should be all I need. Thanks, Eytan!

-Erik

11-16-2003 at 04:18 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
krammer wrote:

And bdcribbs: he needs pronunciation because AFAIK they're going to be in Sihmpuhl Englihsh. Although if he needs to ask everyone with a slightly odd name he may be a while in writing them.

On the other hand, he can probably get away with spelling errors for the less active testers.

Matt

11-16-2003 at 06:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Mattcrampy wrote:
On the other hand, he can probably get away with spelling errors for the less active testers.
Hey, all the testers are special! I've e-mailed anyone that didn't have straightforward (to English-speaking me, anyway) pronunciation of his name. Eytan was the last one. So I'll work on certificates today.

-Erik

11-16-2003 at 06:46 PM
eytanz
Out of curiosity, why did you ask me on the board rather than e-mail me? Not that I mind, I'm just a bit concerned that you may have tried reaching me by email and not gotten an answer (I've been using new anti-spam measures and am a bit concerned about them).

11-16-2003 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
eytanz wrote:
Out of curiosity, why did you ask me on the board rather than e-mail me? Not that I mind, I'm just a bit concerned that you may have tried reaching me by email and not gotten an answer (I've been using new anti-spam measures and am a bit concerned about them).
I did e-mail you and didn't get a response. I used your yahoo.com e-mail address.

-Erik

11-16-2003 at 07:07 PM
eytanz
Hmmm. Would you mind e-mailing me again (if you have a copy of the original message it's best)?

11-16-2003 at 07:09 PM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
ErikH2000 wrote:
Hey, all the testers are special! I've e-mailed anyone that didn't have straightforward (to English-speaking me, anyway) pronunciation of his name.

You're collecting pronounciations? In that case, I just want to point out that my last name, Jacobsen, is pronounced slightly differently from the English way. The J is soft, so it sounds more like the y in "yard" than the J in "jar". The a is still short, though.

Edit: I just realized that I'm not sure how you'd pronounce the a. Just to be sure, it's pronounced like the a in "ark".

[Edited by Watcher on 11-16-2003 at 11:00 PM GMT]

11-16-2003 at 08:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Watcher wrote:
You're collecting pronounciations? In that case, I just want to point out that my last name, Jacobsen, is pronounced slightly differently from the English way. The J is soft, so it sounds more like the y in "yard" than the J in "jar". The a is still short, though.
Yeeks, I guess I have made some assumptions along the way. I really don't want to e-mail everybody to check for unusual pronunciations. I've already written out in Sihmpuhl Englihsh names for 30 or so people, and it is time-consuming. Here is what I'll do:

Martin, I will update your name for the y-sound. If anyone else happens to read this thread and has a non-English pronunciation of an English-looking name... (jeez, that is such an anglo-centric statement, let's start over.) If anyone thinks this dumb yank might have trouble figuring out the pronunciation of his name, please offer a correct pronunciation so that I will get it right.

Other than that, I'll include some sort of note offering to mail a second certificate if I've gotten the pronunciation wrong. Maybe one or two people take me up on this, which is fine. It's less time-consuming than sending out e-mails, and waiting for thirty people to get back to me.

-Erik

11-16-2003 at 11:05 PM
ErikH2000
eytanz wrote:
Hmmm. Would you mind e-mailing me again (if you have a copy of the original message it's best)?
Done.

-Erik

11-16-2003 at 11:05 PM
Watcher
ErikH2000 wrote:
Martin, I will update your name for the y-sound.

Thanks. :) Just one more thing: I don't think you caught my edit of the post, about the a sound. So I'm posting this to get you to look at the thread again, before you start messing with my name. :D

11-16-2003 at 11:12 PM
ErikH2000
Watcher wrote:
Thanks. :) Just one more thing: I don't think you caught my edit of the post, about the a sound. So I'm posting this to get you to look at the thread again, before you start messing with my name. :D
Do you mean the "a" in your first or last name. I have the "a" in Martin like "ark" and "a" in Jacobsen like "bake" or "game".

-Erik

11-16-2003 at 11:29 PM
Watcher
ErikH2000 wrote:
Watcher wrote:
Do you mean the "a" in your first or last name. I have the "a" in Martin like "ark" and "a" in Jacobsen like "bake" or "game".

-Erik

Both, actually. :P But I was thinking of my last name.

Okay, I might as well go through all vowels:
Martin: "a" like "ark", "i" like "pit".
Jacobsen: "a" like "ark", "o" like "pot", "e" like "sent"

The consonants are just like in English, except for the already-mentioned J. Both my first and last name have stress on the first syllable.

11-16-2003 at 11:38 PM
eytanz
ErikH2000 wrote:
eytanz wrote:
Done.

-Erik

Thanks. I got it, so I'm not sure what the problem was before - maybe I just accidently deleted it.

11-16-2003 at 11:50 PM
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Just so you know - The E sound in my surname is long, and the Th is a hard sound (as in think, rather than in then).

Really, everybody gets it wrong the first time, so I won't be that offended if it's wrong... :P

"Oook!"
11-17-2003 at 06:28 PM
ErikH2000
krammer wrote:
Just so you know - The E sound in my surname is long, and the Th is a hard sound (as in think, rather than in then).
Got it! Thanks.

-Erik

11-17-2003 at 08:55 PM
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
icon Re: Names (0)  
Nobody ever asks me how to pronounce my name... :~) It's just not fair. Why did I have to get stuck with the name John Williams. :D :D
11-19-2003 at 04:44 PM
eytanz
Come to Israel - at least your last name would give a lot of people trouble (your first name *should* have been a problem to most people, but they're probably familiar enough with it through TV)

11-19-2003 at 04:53 PM
ErikH2000
Zmann wrote:
Nobody ever asks me how to pronounce my name... :~) It's just not fair. Why did I have to get stuck with the name John Williams. :D :D
Heh. The "h" is silent, right?

-Erik

11-19-2003 at 05:45 PM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Poor Jahn Willyums...:)

Nobody ever asks me either, but they get it wrong anyway.

Clayton Weiss: you try it. Pretty simple. You'd be suprised how many telemarketers, teachers, and computer programmers have gotten it wrong over the years. It's not "Wess," or "Wees," or "Weess," or "Wise," or my favorite: "Wissee." It's pronounced like "white..." With an "s," not like the "z" sound in wise.

It's even more suprising when we order stuff by phone, and when it comes in the mail, we see it actually spelled out just like my pronunciations up there.

[Edited by ClaytonW on 11-19-2003 at 08:28 PM GMT: Had to include Erik in my short list. :)]
11-19-2003 at 06:01 PM
eytanz
Presumably, most of the people who'd have no trouble pronouncing the vowel would have trouble pronouncing the 'w'.

11-19-2003 at 06:21 PM
ErikH2000
ClaytonW wrote:
Clayton Weiss: you try it. Pretty simple. You'd be suprised how many telemarketers and teachers have gotten it wrong over the years. It's not "Wess," or "Wees," or "Weess," or "Wise," or my favorite: "Wissee." It's pronounced like "white..." With an "s," not like the "z" sound in wise.
Frack! I misspelled it as "weess", but don't worry, you will get the correct Sihmpuhl Englihsh spelling.

Spent the last two evenings cutting, signing, and rubber-cementing these things together. Can't wait to get them mailed out.

-Erik

11-19-2003 at 06:28 PM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
ErikH2000 wrote:
Frack! I misspelled it as "weess", but don't worry, you will get the correct Sihmpuhl Englihsh spelling.

Heh, I've edited my previous post to include you among the teachers and telemarketers. :)

Spent the last two evenings cutting, signing, and rubber-cementing these things together. Can't wait to get them mailed out.

Cutting? Rubber-cementing? I was expecting nothing more than a print-out with the name, contribution, and an Erik-style border. But I guess that's just not your style.
11-19-2003 at 08:32 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Eytan Zweig
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com