Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : what are my odds of beating this?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Synneth Relmn
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon what are my odds of beating this? (0)  
i've gotten to level 10 already(after RESTARTING the game becuase of that **** two orb killer in level 8 3S3E), and i'm wondering, what are my odds of beating it? as in, how much harder does it get? i haven't met up with a goblin or brain yet, so i don't know about their difficulty. but how much of a chance do you think there is of beating it after getting to level 10?

(i'm using the webfoot version and i'm 15, if that helps.........)
11-15-2003 at 03:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: what are my odds of beating this? (0)  
Well, it does get harder - but I think most people who get past the first 10 or so levels eventually beat it. Remember that you can always ask here for hints.

Why, however, are you playing on Webfoot? I'm curious partially because there have been several people new to the game lately who have said that they use Webfoot, which indicates that it must be available through some popular source - which is a problem, and a shame, since Caravel costs nothing, has far fewer bugs, and generally is far improved. Not to mention that some of the Webfoot versions are actually unsolvable due to serious bugs. And there are very few people around who still know the Webfoot coordinates, so getting hints for Webfoot rooms is far less convenient.

Anyway, so any info as to where people are getting Webfoot from could be helpful.

11-15-2003 at 04:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Indeed, not least so I can go there and ask them to stop it.

Really, you're not missing out on anything by playing Caravel. Except months of tedious frustration and pain.

Matt

11-16-2003 at 07:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Well now, Webfoot wasn't that bad, otherwise there wouldn't have been enough interest in making the Caravel version. But yes, compared to Caravel it is very sub-par.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-16-2003 at 11:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Well, if you forget to make save games it can be extremely annoying, and I've never found a quicksave key. Plus it took me months to finish the game and that was with checkpoints.

Matt

11-16-2003 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
Mattcrampy wrote:
Well, if you forget to make save games it can be extremely annoying, and I've never found a quicksave key. Plus it took me months to finish the game and that was with checkpoints.
I made my own quicksave key for the two tar rooms on level 24.
Click here to view the secret text

Talking of how long it took to finish the game, I wonder how long it took others. It took me 16 days of play over a 3 week period, though I did have the advantage of having played the Webfoot version previously. I don't know the number of actual hours played, but I'd guess at 3 or 4 hours each day.
11-17-2003 at 11:32 AM
Synneth Relmn
now i'm on level 21. $@#* BRAINS!
11-18-2003 at 01:55 AM
Mattcrampy
The brains take a bit of getting used to, but they become second nature after a while.

Just wait till you see some of the user holds. Hoo boy!

Matt

11-18-2003 at 06:08 AM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Seriously, I did a search on Webfoot DROD just for fun (using several combinations of search terms) and found almost NOTHING. Nearly every website you can find has broken download links or has simply dropped out of existence. After extensive searching, I finally found a single website that had a working download, though it was not clearly marked as "Webfoot" since the last time the page was updated was before Caravel existed.

Maybe it's one of those things that you can only find if you're not looking for it.

11-19-2003 at 08:21 PM
eytanz
Sokko - totally off topic - I really like your new sig, but it should read:

How many boards would the Mongols hoard if the Mongol hordes got bored?

[Edited by eytanz on 11-19-2003 at 08:28 PM GMT]

11-19-2003 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Sokko wrote:
Seriously, I did a search on Webfoot DROD just for fun (using several combinations of search terms) and found almost NOTHING. Nearly every website you can find has broken download links or has simply dropped out of existence. After extensive searching, I finally found a single website that had a working download, though it was not clearly marked as "Webfoot" since the last time the page was updated was before Caravel existed.
Yeah, it's interesting. I think the main contributor to this is that once there is not a site someplace that will foot the download bill, most of the gaming sites will stop listing the game or just have a dumb broken link. A site like GameHippo.com would have an astronomical bandwidth bill if they hosted their downloads.

We are enjoying a very nice perk of open source software development, free hosting for our downloadables on SourceForge.net. It is incredible to me that they can do that. If SourceForge ever closed down, it would cut a horrific gash in open source development.

-Erik

11-19-2003 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Sokko wrote:

Maybe it's one of those things that you can only find if you're not looking for it.

I found a couple and sent off emails.

There's a trick to finding dodgy and/or illegal downloads on the Internet, such as abandonware: it helps if you add '-top'.

Matt

11-20-2003 at 02:07 AM
Synneth Relmn
i don't remember where i got my copy, it's been at least a year.

anyway, i beat the game, then downloaded caravel. are there any plans for multiplayer modes in the future? with levels requiring cooperation? although the way drod works you'd have to alternately take your moves, and that would get tedious in a fast hack-and-slash situation. not to mention the monsters would get confused as who to go for, unless it was put in that the they go for the closest player.
11-21-2003 at 03:42 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Synneth Relmn wrote:
are there any plans for multiplayer modes in the future? with levels requiring cooperation?
Probably not in DROD, I would guess. (note: I am not the authority on this.)
But to simulate multi-player mode, just use a mimic, and pretend the other player is just doing exactly what you do. :cool

11-21-2003 at 03:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
It would be a cool idea in theory, but in practice it would be a pain. For instance, who would move first?

And that's all I have to say about that.

Matt

11-22-2003 at 05:03 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Mattcrampy wrote:
It would be a cool idea in theory, but in practice it would be a pain. For instance, who would move first?
Wouldn't it make a lot of sense for both players to lock in their moves, and they both happen at once?

Oh, and Synneth probably got his copy from the-underdogs.org before they redirected to the Caravel version, like I did.

Anyway, my first time through DROD took me several months, as I'd sometimes take weeks off from it at a time. University and all. When I replayed Caravel it took me much less time, I think on the order of 3 days, and it took me the longest time to figure out how roaches move with no brains on the level. Damn side effects!

11-23-2003 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Wouldn't it make a lot of sense for both players to lock in their moves, and they both happen at once?

What happens if one player is running and the other's dealing with goblins? It'll merely be tedious for the runner.

It would be the best way to handle it, but DROD's design doesn't leave much room for it... unless...

The two players are against each other, like Beethro and the Neather. In which case, one would go first, then the other, the the monsters. The monsters would aim for both players, but the one that steps first over the second one.

Matt

11-23-2003 at 06:57 AM
eytanz
I can see it now:

DROD 3.0: DEATHMATCH EDITION

Ok, probably this is an indication that it's time to go to bed.

11-23-2003 at 07:07 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
DROD Tournament!!!

Beethro carrying around a rocket launcher and a crowbar, avoiding roaches and tarbabies as he tries to murder his bastard siblings Badro, Bedro, and Bleethro

11-24-2003 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
And his oft-forgotten sister, Bethro. :P

11-24-2003 at 05:35 AM
Synneth Relmn
...........there's a room in caravel, level 15 once south twice west(the seven-orb trapdoor killer), that i found an easy way out of in webfoot. but now there's a gate stopping the way i did it before, so NOW i had to do it legit! i think it's THE hardest room to plan in the game now! i had to draw a map and make a path in coreldraw, if anybody wants to see it and avoid my pain i could upload it somewhere.

one of the things i liked about webfoot was the speed. in that one you could rocket straight across rooms in a second, but even at the maximum repeat rate on caravel he stil slugs along. is there any way to make it faster in caravel?
11-28-2003 at 02:51 AM
Mattcrampy
There's a topic about this very issue - it's the 'Repeat Rate' option under 'Settings' in DROD:AE.

Matt

11-28-2003 at 03:15 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
It appears that Synneth has tried the repeat rate setting. If it's at the maximum setting, then DROD is running the best it can on your computer.

If you're running in a window, try using full-screen. It generally seems to be much faster.

11-28-2003 at 04:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Whoops - didn't read properly...

I'm gunna go now.

Matt

11-28-2003 at 07:41 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : what are my odds of beating this?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com