Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Vehicle registration plate, number plate, tag (whatever it's called in your country)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
IP: Logged
icon Vehicle registration plate, number plate, tag (0)  
One for the console gamers... spotted in Yorkshire, UK, on the M62 near Wakefield and Leeds yesterday, a plain blue Transit van with the registration number X80X OK. There's dedication for you.

It being a UK plate, you just know someone paid a lot of money for it. But why a Tranny van?
07-20-2007 at 10:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Vehicle registration plate, number plate, tag (0)  
I think I heard of someone in the US getting Zebes, from the Metroid games. So jealous.

07-20-2007 at 10:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
I saw a very obscene number plate on a red open-backed van once in Canterbury, Kent. This one was purely by chance.

It's been tagged because the last three letters are rude

Click here to view the secret text

07-20-2007 at 11:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
The best custom plate I've seen was on a rather powerful motorcycle (which in SA are only required to carry a rear plate) -- "CYA".

Personally, I can think of better ways to spend $190/yr than on a couple of bits of metal I hardly get to look at. :)
07-20-2007 at 01:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Vehicle registration plate, number plate, tag (+1)  
In some states, vanity license plates don't cost anything, so.

Most states have software that skips certain three-letter strings when generating non-vanity plates. (This was an issue when California's software was borrowed by a more conservative state, which was then shocked that 'GAY' wasn't blocked by the software.)

The classic, of course, is a VW Beetle with the license plate "FEATURE". I've never seen anything that interesting; the best I've seen was "LCHAIM", in Georgia.
07-20-2007 at 08:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Non vanity plate.

Now in canada, it's 3 letters, then 3 numbers.

And I swear to god, I saw this parked in a bank parking lot.

GET 911
07-20-2007 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pneh
Rank Points: 154
My neighbours car is PER 571... My name is Per! Funny...

07-21-2007 at 10:37 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Tahnan wrote:
The classic, of course, is a VW Beetle with the license plate "FEATURE". I've never seen anything that interesting; the best I've seen was "LCHAIM", in Georgia.

One of the plates over by the local university reads "PLATE". Probably a philosophy professor. I wonder if they named their dog Dog and their kid Kid?

07-21-2007 at 11:59 AM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
our stove is made by a company called "stove" - I wonder if he started it ? !!

I've heard of JAM 1 E and DAV 1 D in the uk - both valid plates at the time.

My mate bought one, which is so obtuse, it's stupid, and makes his car look older than it really is.. silly moo.

I'd never get them - if someone sees you doing something wrong, it's easier for them to remember your number plate ;-)

07-21-2007 at 04:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krissan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 89
While on the subject, Sweden has the system of three letters followed by three numbers. There's an old game, that starts when you spot a car with 001 as the digits. After you've seen that, you're supposed to count up to 999 by spotting 002, 003 and so forth. Can be damn addictive.

07-22-2007 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
There's a guy who lives somewhere near me who drives an old beige Mazda pickup with the license plate reading 'OMA DAN'. I wouldn't think much of it, or even remember it, except that he *also* painted out the Z in 'Mazda' on the back of said pickup and painted an O and an N to make the tailgate *also* say 'OMA DAN'.

Now if only I knew what the heck it meant.

07-25-2007 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Last summer when my parents and I were in Woodstock, I saw a car with a license plate that read "SAMOYED," and I decided to photograph it. Thought I'd mention it.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 07-31-2007 02:40 AM]
07-31-2007 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
On a Cadillac I saw a plate that said "3VOM". I saw it parked, rather than in my rearview, so at first I didn't get it. Another funny plate I saw was "OWEALOT" on a Corvette.

07-31-2007 at 12:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I did a search on personalised plates for sale, hoping in vain (vain being the operative word ;) ) that there might be a cheap one for my bike. There wasn't, and my other half said what a silly idea she thought it was - until I came up with M155 FMB. We aren't married and FMB are her initials, but at 897UKP I decided against buying it for her birthday. :)
08-02-2007 at 08:29 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Vehicle registration plate, number plate, tag (whatever it's called in your country)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com