Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Adding new holds to the "Insert DROD Room image" feature
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
IP: Logged
icon Adding new holds to the "Insert DROD Room image" feature (0)  
Hopefully soon we will be able to upload finished holds to the drod.net website for people to download. As many of us know from using the "Insert DROD Room image" feature in the Hints and Solutions forum, the option exists to have more holds than just Dugan's. In fact, I seem to remember Schik saying that he specifically wrote the code to import a .hold file so that it would be easy to incorporate later new holds.

However, is this something that people want? Let me think of some arguments against this option.

As we have seen, it is possible to view secret rooms in Dugan's, even ones that can't be reached normally. So this option could be used as a "cheating" mechanism, although in reality secret rooms are usually discussed in the hold's thread anyway so people could easily find out if they wanted to. And since this option would only be available for finished holds, it won't reveal levels or rooms that have been made but not included yet, an issue which has been brought up by, I think, Wesley and Clayton, as to why their holds do not have editing rights. So, having brought that point up, I don't think it is a reason not to have this option. However, if someone really doesn't want their hold included perhaps an option could be added to the hold submission process to let the author decide if the hold can be mapped out like this.

The only other real issue I can think of is that eventually the list of holds will get so large that the drop-down menu will become too unwieldy. A simple solution may be not to have a drop down menu and instead just have a list of holds. This is probably something that shouldn't be worried about until it becomes an issue.

I know that I for one won't care if my hold is included in the DROD Room image functionality. Does anyone else have any arguments for or against this?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-13-2003 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Adding new holds to the "Insert DROD Room image" feature (0)  
As I recall, Schik's able to remove rooms from the room image db. I'd assume that if we added anything we'd quickly go through the hold and remove all the secret rooms.

Matt

11-14-2003 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
That should probably be an option, since, for example, I don't really care if my secret rooms show up in the room image database...they're two of the hardest rooms in the hold, and so may be the most needed ones for images.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-14-2003 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
Oneiromancer wrote:
Hopefully soon we will be able to upload finished holds to the drod.net website for people to download. As many of us know from using the "Insert DROD Room image" feature in the Hints and Solutions forum, the option exists to have more holds than just Dugan's. In fact, I seem to remember Schik saying that he specifically wrote the code to import a .hold file so that it would be easy to incorporate later new holds.

However, is this something that people want? Let me think of some arguments against this option.

As we have seen, it is possible to view secret rooms in Dugan's, even ones that can't be reached normally. So this option could be used as a "cheating" mechanism, although in reality secret rooms are usually discussed in the hold's thread anyway so people could easily find out if they wanted to. And since this option would only be available for finished holds, it won't reveal levels or rooms that have been made but not included yet, an issue which has been brought up by, I think, Wesley and Clayton, as to why their holds do not have editing rights. So, having brought that point up, I don't think it is a reason not to have this option. However, if someone really doesn't want their hold included perhaps an option could be added to the hold submission process to let the author decide if the hold can be mapped out like this.

The only other real issue I can think of is that eventually the list of holds will get so large that the drop-down menu will become too unwieldy. A simple solution may be not to have a drop down menu and instead just have a list of holds. This is probably something that shouldn't be worried about until it becomes an issue.

I know that I for one won't care if my hold is included in the DROD Room image functionality. Does anyone else have any arguments for or against this?

Game on,

Sorry to bring this up from the depths of the archive, but since I have never uploaded a hold before, has this feature to hide rooms or levels been implemented? The reason why I ask is because I do have secret rooms to hide, and I haven't seen any threads or help in the FAQ about the hold uploading procedure, so I don't know about it very much.

Of course, if such a feature is not implemented, then I'll just upload my hold anyway.

08-02-2004 at 01:05 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
agaricus5 wrote:
has this feature to hide rooms or levels been implemented? The reason why I ask is because I do have secret rooms to hide, and I haven't seen any threads or help in the FAQ about the hold uploading procedure, so I don't know about it very much.

Of course, if such a feature is not implemented, then I'll just upload my hold anyway.
Yes, it's in. I just realized that you can't specify which to hide when you first upload your hold - you upload it, then go into your profile and can edit hidden rooms from there. So, they'll be un-hidden for however long it takes you to go hide them.

08-02-2004 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Adding new holds to the "Insert DROD Room image" feature
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com