Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Game crash
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged

File: error.JPG (14.4 KB)
Downloaded 68 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Game crash (+1)  
I am consistently getting the attached crash while playing one particualr room in The long quest.

Click here to view the secret text

Error appears as soon as I step towards the room exit.
No crash if I exit with clearing the room first.

Further testing has revealed the following strange situation...

drod.err has some further info..

Note : the attached error.jpg is different to the image in the secret tag.

Steve

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 07-12-2007 10:22 PM]
07-12-2007 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
icon Re: Game crash (0)  
Further update. I can clear and exit the room as long as the snakes don't get caught up anywhere.

Steve.
07-13-2007 at 08:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979

File: Adder Hot Tile Bug.hold (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 45 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Game crash (+1)  
I'd really like people not to use anyone edit holds to prove the point.

Further testing shows that it only works with adders in combination with hot tiles, and only for deaths on only either even/odd turns.
(Try to step on the power token a turn later.)

Test hold attached. (a 300 hold, by the way.)

07-14-2007 at 12:02 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Tim wrote:
I'd really like people not to use anyone edit holds to prove the point.

Huh?

07-14-2007 at 12:07 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Oh, I just played for an hour or something to get to that room. Grrr. (The hold was set to you and masters.)

07-14-2007 at 12:15 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I have also experienced the adder-and-hot-tile bug when playing one of the holds that I'm beta testing (tokyokid's hold).

Just as Steve describes, the trouble starts when an adder loops around on itself on hot tiles. This leads to weird graphics, similar to what Steve posted and to those in the original bug thread, beeps, and the following line in drod.err:

Assertion error in line 168 of .\Serpent.cpp: "!"Bad tile.""
Is this because it's shortening for two reasons: biting its own tail and frying at the same time? It happens almost every time the adder loops around on itself. Once time, though, after conquering the room in such a way the that serpent looped around on itself, I didn't get the above assertion error, and instead the game crashed, placing the following lines in drod.err:

Assertion error in line 153 of .\Serpent.cpp: "pMonster"
Assertion error in line 155 of .\Serpent.cpp: "pBackPiece"
Assertion error in line 2579 of .\DbRooms.cpp: "pMonster->bAlive"
Again, all quite similar to what's been described before.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 07-14-2007 12:38 AM]
07-14-2007 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Tim wrote:
Oh, I just played for an hour or something to get to that room. Grrr. (The hold was set to you and masters.)

So, I guess it was a typo - you meant you want people to use anyone edit, not that you don't want them to, right?

07-14-2007 at 03:26 AM
Stephen4Louise
Tim wrote:

That was the hold I was playing when I saw the error, so that's what I used to describe it. It's a good hold anyway to that point, so worth playing.

Steve.
07-14-2007 at 08:16 AM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Game crash (+2)  
Thanks, guys! The problem was indeed that Adders would shorten twice if they happened to eat themselves while on a hot tile. I've fixed this so that they only shorten once in this case.

Also, I played around a bit and noticed that Rattlesnakes can shorten twice per turn too, if you stab them and a tail segment then ends up on a hot tile. This doesn't result in any problems though, and I'm not sure if it should be considered a bug. Any opinions on this?

07-15-2007 at 12:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Personally I think that it's quite intuitive for the snakes to shorten twice, and also adds some minor puzzle potential.
trick wrote:
The problem was indeed that Adders would shorten twice if they happened to eat themselves while on a hot tile. I've fixed this so that they only shorten once in this case.
This isn't much better, IMO. Now, instead of crashing the game, it's just counterintuitive. What this required was better error trapping, not a behavioral change.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 07-15-2007 05:16 AM]
07-15-2007 at 04:05 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Well, here's the main ways Rattlesnakes and Adders shorten, and whether they stack.

Rattlesnakes
1. Their tail moves on to a sword.
2. A sword moves on to their tail.
3. Their tail stops on a hot tile for one turn.

All three coexist, but #3 (Hot Tiles) can only take effect once per turn. #1 only works once per turn, but #2 can work multiple times dependent on movement order.

Adders
1. A sword moves on to their head.
2. All remaining exits for the head are blocked and one of the three valid directions is only blocked by another Adder.
3. Their head stops on a hot tile for one turn.

In 3.0.0, all three coexist. We note that their head moving on to a sword does not shorten the snake (for various reasons), but multiple swords moving on to the head will (this is not a bad thing though).

Adders only taking one hit from a hot tile makes sense because they have only one vulnerable point and a hot tile only counts as getting "stabbed" once (see Rock Giants). Rattlesnakes only taking one hit from a hot tile makes sense from a game balance point of view. The basic concept here appears to be that no snake should shrink multiple times from a *SINGLE* source of damage.

What we have here, though, is multiple sources of damage. So, yes, I agree with Jatopian - I don't think an Adder eating itself and getting burned by a hot tile should limit shrinkage to one step. They're independent things, and it's not like it's the only way to get the Adder to shrink multiple times in the same turn.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 07-15-2007 07:11 AM]
07-15-2007 at 07:06 AM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Hm, yeah, I agree. Okay, I've fixed this again, but this time green serpents (and other colours, too) can yet again shorten multiple times in a turn, but now in a new and improved way that includes less corruption of reality. Yay! Thanks for keeping an eye on me, guys :)

07-15-2007 at 09:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
But this raises the question . . . does the tail moving twice a turn violate the one-move per turn rule of DROD?

Well, technically, the tail doesn't move, I guess. On a Serpent, the tail is set to dissappear every turn, while a new tail appears on the next segment. So the Serpent seems to shrink when trapped because, even though its head can't move, it's tail continues to.
But, regardless, the tail is technically moving. An enemy moves the same way, disappearing from one tile and reappearing in the next.

So does a snake tail on hot tiles violate the rule of one-move per turn?

07-19-2007 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Kwakstur wrote:
...does the tail moving twice a turn violate the one-move per turn rule of DROD?
So does a snake tail on hot tiles violate the rule of one-move per turn?
There is no explicit rule in DROD that objects are not allowed to move more than one tile per turn. In specific situations, it is known to happen and we haven't seen the need to put in explicit rules to prevent that.

However, regarding snake tails -- it is not the tail that moves two tiles in one turn, but rather two segments are broken off on the same turn. Again, I don't see a need to explicitly forbid breaking off more than one segment per turn.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-19-2007 05:02 PM]
07-19-2007 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Game crash
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com