Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Overlapping Rock Giants (3.0 bug)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Overlapping Rock Giants (+1)  
Step 1. Place a Rock Giant anywhere you want.
Step 2. Click and drag a bunch of Rock Giants over the first one.
Step 3. Watch as your first Giant ends up in thousands of wacky positions! Including underneath other giants, or halfway across the room!

[Last edited by Ezlo at 07-10-2007 04:41 PM]
07-10-2007 at 04:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Overlapping Rock Giants (0)  
When I do this, the first dissappears. In other words, the new Rock Giants appear so no tile of thiers is on the old one, but then, for reasons unbeknowest to me, the first one disappears.

It leaves a hole in the middle and displaces some of the new Giants, but I think the bug here is that the old one disappears.

07-10-2007 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
I once got a rock giant ontop of another one, which promptly crashed the game. Not quite sure how it happened though.
07-10-2007 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Ezlo wrote:
I once got a rock giant ontop of another one, which promptly crashed the game. Not quite sure how it happened though.

This might have to do with how the game stores information on Rock Giants. Probably, only one tile is [directly] associated with a Rock Giant, so perhaps as long as two Rock Giants don't share the same upper-left corner (for example), they might be prone to bugs like this.

But you would assume such a bug would have been anticipated by programmers, and I can't manage to reproduce this on my game, so I can't say.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 07-10-2007 05:31 PM]
07-10-2007 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
It seems to be the case that if you place a rock giant, and then start one corner NW of the giant and drag a 2x2 square of giants (i.e. a 4x4 square of ground, so that the one that's placed is in the center, overlapping each of the others on a single square), something...weirdly nondeterministic happens. Sometimes I end up with one rock giant in the SE corner of my 2x2 square, sometimes I end up with an additional one to its WSW, sometimes with that one plus a third one to its NNE.

The answer may be "why would you drag to place a cluster of rock giants in the first place?", but there's certainly some sort of bug involving how these things are represented.
07-10-2007 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
I can't reproduce this. What version are you using?

07-12-2007 at 11:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
07-12-2007 at 12:55 PM
BoyBlue
Rank Points: 547
icon Re: Overlapping Rock Giants (+1)  
With 3.0.2r2, I see clear problems when mirroring a room that contains rock giants.

Steps to reproduce:
- Put a rock giant near the center of an empty room.
- Press F7 to mirror the room.
- Cover the area around the rock giant with a block of (for example) roaches.

My results:
- Two of the roaches are placed on top of the giant.
- Roaches are not placed on two of the tiles near the rock giant.
- Subsequent edits are likely to cause a crash.

07-21-2007 at 07:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190

File: Buggy.png (4.1 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
Okay, I'm not sure if this can be reproduced, but I put a Rock Giant in the middle of a room, flipped the room horizontally, deleted part of the giant, but I saw a problem.
Edit: See attachment instead.
Rock giants bring up a lot of bugs.

[Last edited by Monkey at 07-21-2007 08:58 PM]
07-21-2007 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Monkey wrote:
Okay, I'm not sure if this can be reproduced, but I put a Rock Giant in the middle of a room, flipped the room horizontally, deleted part of the giant, but I saw a problem.
Edit: See attachment instead.
Rock giants bring up a lot of bugs.

I can reproduce this. I think it may have to do with copying or deleting. I'm investigating now.
08-14-2007 at 02:48 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Aha! I found a bug! When a Rock Giant is copied, each piece is reflected individually, but the monster doesn't update it's position accordingly. To confirm, surround a rock giant with pit and reflect.
08-14-2007 at 03:22 AM
coppro
Solution found! In CSplitter::ReflectX and CSplitter::ReflectY, simply replace the minus signs in the calls to std::swap with + signs. The problem was that the engine was adjusting the position of the rock giant parts based on the non-updated position values, after the were updated.
08-14-2007 at 11:23 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Just when I was about to look at this, too ;)

Thanks, Coppro! I've applied and committed the fix, and it works swimmingly.

08-15-2007 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Overlapping Rock Giants (3.0 bug)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com