Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Cheap Trick (Our contest for July.)
Page 1 of 6
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged

File: Four Count Em Four.hold (3.4 KB)
Downloaded 142 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Cheap Trick (+3)  
Ever glued a quarter to the pavement and watched people try to pick it up? Or put a thumbtack on a chair? Or gave somebody a laxative under the pretense it was a normal candy bar?

"Maybe I did things like that when I was ten, but these days I'm above mean pranks."

Awwwww, come on. Quit acting all holier-than-thou! It's time to play cheap tricks! With what I have in mind, nobody will get hurt. Well, no permanent damage, anyhow. Err... no permanent physical damage, that is to say.

In this contest, you will make a hold that has a cheap trick in it. The hapless player will set out dutifully to solve your hold and come across some nasty problem that isn't at all fair or sportsmanlike. You could leave a few hundred red herrings laying about. You could blanket terrible mazes in tar. You could make the player go all the way back to the beginning of a challenge after a small mistake. Or the player might even discover through some painful process that your hold is not even solvable.

Rules

1. Each contestant must post his hold as an attachment in a reply to this topic before the deadline, which is...

Local Time:08-06-2007 at 01:00 AM

2. When posting your hold as an attachment, you should specify the right licensing option for your hold. If you don't care how other people may use it later, (i.e. to add a copy of it to a compilation) then you can just leave the default selection of "Public Domain". If you're confused about the licensing options, please just ask, and someone will help.

3. Your hold can be of any size, small or large, and contain any combination of elements.

4. You can embed custom graphics and sound into the hold, but no permission will be given for use of graphics/sound/other media from any of Caravel's commerical products. All of the media from DROD: Architects' Edition is available for your use. You must create or gain permission for any other media you use in the hold.

5. No setup steps other than importing the hold are allowed. You can't require the player to install modded graphics, for example. No instructions for playing the hold can be given outside of the hold. In general, anything that requires the player to reference information or do something outside of the game isn't allowed.

6. If your hold has a solution, there should be instructions inside of the hold that the player can use to reach a solution. These can be given in the form of a victory demo, a series of scrolls, a character speech, or other ways. But whatever method, it should be easy to discover and understand. And if the player doesn't want to cheat, it should also be easy to avoid reading the solution accidentally. The judgment of how well you've given the solution will be left to voters.

7. If your hold doesn't have a solution, there should be an explanation of this for the player inside of the hold (i.e. "Since you can't ever reach the northwest chamber in 1N2E, that room can't be conquered"). The same guidelines for describing a hold solution apply to a non-solution explanations--make it easy to discover, easy to avoid.

8. Each contestant can submit from 1 to 3 holds.

9. You can update a submitted hold with a newer version as long as you do it before the submission deadline. You can replace an existing attachment or make a new reply post with the new version. For the latter method, be sure to remove the obsolete attachment. If you leave multiple versions laying around, voters may be confused and vote based on the wrong version.

10. After the submission deadline passes, we'll have a poll where all submitted holds are rated. Voters will be asked to rate how much they "appreciated" each hold with a focus on the trick itself. Originality will probably be a factor here in voting, but I know that it is about impossible to know every authoring trick that has been used in previous DROD holds. I don't know if the trick I used in my example hold has already been done, because I've only played a small subset of the holds.

Winners

The author of the highest-rated hold will receive 100 rank points and any item of his choosing from the Prize Pile. The author of the second-highest-rated hold will receive 50 rank points, and third-highest will receive 25 rank points. If you have more than one submitted hold, only your highest-rated hold will be considered for placement.

Anyone who hasn't participated in a CaravelNet contest before will get a "rookie" bonus of 10 rank points.

Strategy Considerations

You want to be mean, but also you want to be clever. It's no good to just run up and punch somebody in the face. But if you build a devious face-punching machine, then the guy that gets his face punched will surely admire your work! I've attached a hold I made that is perhaps somewhat clever so you can have a concrete example. I think the classic cheap trick hold is probably The Fool's Errand by Ricky. Here the trick is so good, that you don't even mind how evil it is.

I personally think that the hold should be centered around the trick, and you shouldn't attempt to gain favor with voters by including a lot of story or puzzle content that isn't integral to the trick. It may take one room or one hundred rooms to pull it off, but don't add non-essential content.

You run a risk of confusing voters by posting multiple versions of one hold. Or you might "spoil the punchline" by an earlier version not carrying the trick as you'd intended. Test well, then submit your hold.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 08-05-2007 08:32 PM]
07-07-2007 at 01:19 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Cheap Trick (0)  
Anybody solve my hold yet, without using the solution?

-Erik

07-07-2007 at 02:08 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
just did. though there's probably no way to verify as much :)
basically, I just used a little logic to figure out the one place where a smurf could be hiding.

07-07-2007 at 02:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
icon Re: Cheap Trick (+1)  
I also did. It might be more convincing had you had Beethro not use speech and include the "Ha!" sound clip from room conquering. Then some people might not notice that the room was still unconquered.

Anyway, this is a fantastic contest idea. Erik, you just seem to have a knack for simple themes that make contests fun.

I think I will probably enter. Now that we all know what elements are capable of per the previous contest, we can exploit their cheapness to maximum effect.

07-07-2007 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Chaco wrote:
I also did. It might be more convincing had you had Beethro not use speech and include the "Ha!" sound clip from room conquering. Then some people might not notice that the room was still unconquered.
Oh! Now I wish I had! That would have been extra cheap.

-Erik

07-07-2007 at 02:42 AM
schep
Rank Points: 865
Now that was a groaner. But then it just took me
Click here to view the secret text

07-07-2007 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Not too hard considering

Hmm....
07-07-2007 at 05:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
... I think I've used up all my cheap tricks already. :/
07-07-2007 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Wait, I've thought of something just plain nasty.

tweeheehee.

I mean, muahaha.
07-07-2007 at 06:00 AM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
Although I'm having a break from DROD at the moment (been playing too many GameCube games on my Wii), I'll try to submit something. And the good thing is, I get to be so, so evil... :evil:

07-07-2007 at 07:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
I may have to give this a shot. I did, incidentally, solve the sample hold, or at least I would have if DROD hadn't crashed when I tried to place the fifth potion, with the error

Assertion error in line 4500 of .\DbRooms.cpp: "wX < this->wRoomCols"
07-07-2007 at 07:40 AM
Rabscuttle

File: Hide and Seek.hold (2 KB)
Downloaded 115 times.
License: All Rights Reserved
Half hour effort: A cheap and nasty entry with a cheap and nasty trick.

I may change it later to make it less obvious that something is wrong.
07-07-2007 at 08:21 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Rabscuttle wrote:
A cheap and nasty entry with a cheap and nasty trick.
He's not kidding! That is cheap and nasty! :)

07-07-2007 at 09:47 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076

File: The Cheapest Puzzle in the World.hold (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 102 times.
That's pretty nasty!

This is just the first cheap thing I thought of, so here it is. I probably will make a better one once I get an better idea.

07-07-2007 at 11:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

File: Traditionality.hold (5 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
Something quick'n'simple.
07-07-2007 at 01:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Golfdinger
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41

File: El Cheapos hold.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Here you have it: the El Cheapo's Entry(tm)!

Don't try this at home, kids. It was really annoying to get it to work properly.

EDIT: Fine tuned the hint room and the starting corridor. Get it while it's hot!

[Last edited by Golfdinger at 08-06-2007 08:40 AM : updated]
07-07-2007 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453

File: Dirty Trick.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 92 times.
Here's my entry.

[Last edited by tokyokid at 07-07-2007 04:52 PM]
07-07-2007 at 04:47 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
To all of you who decided to abuse darkness in your holds: Please note that your darkness can be completely nullified by turning off Alpha Blending and Environmental Effects in the Options menu, and then note that this might make your holds rather easy.

:)

07-07-2007 at 04:59 PM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Chaco wrote:
To all of you who decided to abuse darkness in your holds: Please note that your darkness can be completely nullified by turning off Alpha Blending and Environmental Effects in the Options menu, and then note that this might make your holds rather easy.

Oh.

Oops.

07-07-2007 at 05:36 PM
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
Chaco wrote:

But... that's cheating! Hm... cheater vs. trickster... :)
07-07-2007 at 05:40 PM
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
icon Re: Cheap Trick (+2)  
Chaco wrote:

Also note that some of us have slow computers, and have those off by default (and so we wouldn't even realize there's a trick).
07-07-2007 at 07:05 PM
jdyer
Rank Points: 329

File: Strange Loops.hold (3.2 KB)
Downloaded 93 times.
License: Creative Commons

Here is my entry.
07-07-2007 at 07:10 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I'll join! I must raise my count! :)

Can we use NPC's for the holds?

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-07-2007 at 07:22 PM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
How do you think Dirty Trick worked?

07-07-2007 at 07:24 PM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190

File: A-Maze-ing Trick_300.hold (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 69 times.
Oh, and here's mine.
Oh, this is my first contest.
Edit: 3.0.0 compatible(I think).
Edit: New version attached. Checkpoints added. Harder to reach the solution. Removed that stick figure head and "HELLO" made out of darkness.

[Last edited by Monkey at 07-08-2007 11:08 PM]
07-07-2007 at 07:27 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129

File: The Abyss.hold (1.8 KB)
Downloaded 97 times.
I present to you: The Abyss!
One simple puzzle. Shouldn't be too hard to clear. :devil

07-07-2007 at 07:43 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962

File: The Fracking Bugger.hold (12.1 KB)
Downloaded 64 times.
Here it is: The Fracking Bugger.

Ok, my trick may be not good enough, but you can't say I didn't try!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 07-09-2007 06:48 PM]
07-07-2007 at 08:24 PM
Jacob
Rank Points: 3746

File: Flawlessly consistent logic.hold (3.5 KB)
Downloaded 62 times.
Flawlessly consistent logic.

Trust me.

[Last edited by Jacob at 07-10-2007 05:16 PM : Altered text in one scroll]
07-08-2007 at 12:57 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Dear Lord these things are popping up like weeds. Curses for the lack of submission topic! I feel like I should keep up, but can't.
07-08-2007 at 08:17 AM
Mazer
Rank Points: 162

File: A Cheap Chap.hold (1.7 KB)
Downloaded 85 times.
Just a quick effort at making an entry.
07-08-2007 at 08:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 6
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Cheap Trick (Our contest for July.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com