Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Bulk-Mailing is Good. (Our News for June.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Bulk-Mailing is Good. (+4)  
I met with a publisher earlier in the month. We talked to them about a deal to make another game. They made Mike and I sign NDAs and swear ten different ways not to say anything about the deal and its surrounding machinations. So I guess I won't. But we are planning the new game now, and as soon as it is possible to announce it without lawyers sueing me to a crispy carcass with their evil magic, I will.

With our limited but healthy budget, we made a few part-time hires. (By the way, I am going to get through this without saying "coming on board"--I'm so tired of that cliche.)

Gerry Jo Jellestad (a.k.a "Trick") is spending a couple days each week as our codeslave. Gerry did the original Linux port of DROD and made sure that all of our games work on Linux. Also, he's responsible for the Deadly Browser of Death. (How many games do you know that have a working cross-platform HTML browser inside of them?) Also also, he made some fantastic art for The City Beneath. If Gerry weren't already put to work on fixing TCB bugs and working on the next game, I would be happy to see him making more in-game art.

But we actually got somebody to do that on a regular basis--Brett Boyette. She'll be coming in to our Seattle office one day each week to work on cramming meaning and beauty into little 22x22 pixel boxes. The plan is to have her do pretty much all of the Caravel art for the forseeable future. I hired Brett in a traditional way: resume review, phone screens, in-person interviews. She was the best of several candidates, and I think she'll be a fantastic addition to the team. If you'd like to see some of Brett's work, check out her online porfolio:

http://brettboyette.com/

If anybody missed it, we also hired Matt Cramp to catch us up on support requests and lead us on to victory on the marketing front. Or maybe just lead us on to painful but necessary discoveries concerning the nature of marketing games on the internet. We'll see.

So with these new people coming on board, we can't lose!

Aw, crudmonkeys. It's really hard not to say "coming on board". Maybe impossible.

Jamie Jone's Bulk-Mailing Deathstar

We finally got bulk mail working again. "I hate bulk mail! That's spam!" No, no, no. I consider it my duty now to explain to everyone that just because we are spurting massive loads of e-mail out to the world, doesn't mean we (or other people doing the same) are spammers. All of our e-mail is specifically asked for by their recipients. "I don't remember asking for this mail, you filthy jerk!" say about 3 people getting this Illumination in their in-box. Trust me, you really did, but you just don't remember. And also there is a link at the bottom to unsubscribe. It really will unsubscribe you, and it will not add you to any other lists.

To give a full picture of the effort behind bulk mailing, the real problem is not sending bulk mail. The real problem is keeping your servers from getting shut down when you are using them to send bulk mail. I don't know how somebody like say... Netflix, figures this out, but I assume they pay enough for their hosting that the hosting company decides it is worthwhile to maybe call somebody at Netflix about a perceived problem to discuss it before bringing Netflix's business to a screeching halt. But I am not Netflix, so apparently people can shut down my websites on a whim. My solution is basically to put all of the bulk mailing on one server, and keep everything else (our website, eCommerce stuff, non-bulk mail, CaravelNet) safely away on a different server.

Jamie Jones has heroically volunteered the bulk mail server, accepted the risk of shutdown from his hosting provider, and given me a great quantity of high-level technical advice. He knows a lot about administering Linux servers, and we are extremely lucky to have his help.

Printing CDs Update

I just want to briefly mention that we are still going to print CDs and sell deluxe boxes. In fact, last weekend we assembled 200 shiny black boxes and affixed DROD: The City Beneath illustrations to the front. They look good! We are still waiting to print CDs because there are bugs to fix. Bugs which should not permanently carved into our beloved discs.

-Erik

06-29-2007 at 11:59 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: Bulk-Mailing is Not Perfect yet, though (0)  
Speaking of mail delivered in bulk, it seems there's still a kink (or four) in the shiny new system.

I get the Illumination to two separate addresses, and both received five copies each. The two addresses were processed about ten minutes apart, but each got its five Illuminations within a span of a few seconds.

[Last edited by Znirk at 06-30-2007 12:41 AM]
06-30-2007 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
icon Re: Bulk-Mailing is Good. (+1)  
I got 11 copies. (Imagine getting 11 emails all with the topic name of "Bulk-Mailing Is Good".)

"Until it ends, there is no end."
06-30-2007 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
icon Re: Bulk-Mailing is Good. (0)  
I got 0 :(
06-30-2007 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Wow. That's terrible.

We've been running the mail notications for a while now and nobody complained about it. I've only got one mail message delivered to me. Anybody else getting dupes?

-Erik

06-30-2007 at 01:22 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Bombadil wrote:
I got 0 :(

Me too.

06-30-2007 at 01:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Bulk-Mailing is Good. (+7)  
Tim's Top Picks for June

When you just come here on the Forum at 2 AM and someone thinks it's time to post a Illumination, then I guess I'm going to get this done asap. :)

If you only visit the forum for the Illumination, then you might want to know the following:

The Order of the Holds
Our Matt Cramp in the Illumination started a thread discussing in which order the many DROD holds should be played. If you feel a bit overwhelmed by the many holds, then I suggest you to read it.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=16326

Witherwood Castle, Smart Brain Sanctum, MMGs Dungeon Reloaded, Beethro's Week Off
These are all the holds (level collections) that have been released since the previous list.
Two of them scores almost an 8. Interestingly, those two are also playable in JtRH/KDD as well as in TCB.
You can find the holds in http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewboard.php?BoardID=11 or http://forum.caravelgames.com/holds.php

J.U.N.E. C.O.N.T.E.S.T.: Final Votes
The June Contest is now at its final stage of voting (hopefully). The voting for contest will close at Local Time:07-02-2007 at 09:00 PM.
(But don't wait until the very last moment, since I have a feeling my localtime tag is not entirely correct.)
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=16539
By the way, a new policy has been added to future contests: (quote from eytanz) from the next contest on that the name of people voting 1s for all their opponents will be made public.

DROD Ports
It seems that it's time of the year again to have ports of DROD on other platforms. Someone is porting it on a GP2X, and someone else want to port to Flash. But the most promising one seems to be the Mobile Version, which you can find at the end of this thread: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=9356

Subterra Board is gone
You hear it right, the Subterra board is not here anymore. But, instead, it has been replaced by the Crystal Shard Games Board. Hopefully this means there will be more games from Radiant coming soon.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewboard.php?BoardID=17

Wonderquest version 4
Googa has released a new version of Wonderquest on his part of the Board. I think Googa still can need some help testing his game, so here's a link.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewboard.php?BoardID=91

An Exception: An External Link
I know the Top Picks are meant to get more people coming to the Forum, but as an exception I'll include an external link this time. During a Chat session, plewylli asked a question. Since I found it a very interesting question, I am putting a link here.

That's all for now. I'm sorry it I've kept this short, but it's almost 3 AM (again). Fortunately I don't have to get up early tomorrow ;)

-- Tim

06-30-2007 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Tim wrote:
By the way, a new policy has been added to future contests: (quote from eytanz) from the next contest on that the name of people voting 1s for all their opponents will be made public.

Well, that was a suggestion I made. It's up to the people running the contests to decide if they actually want to include this rule or not.

06-30-2007 at 01:58 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Personally I think we should be required to rate everyone else's entry a 1 for the same reasons we rate our own a 10.

06-30-2007 at 04:39 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Jatopian wrote:
Personally I think we should be required to rate everyone else's entry a 1 for the same reasons we rate our own a 10.
as interesting as this discussion is, there are better places to discuss it.
06-30-2007 at 05:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dolan42
Rank Points: 195
I only got 1 copy at the account I currently use for the forum, but the account that I used to use got 11 copies.

06-30-2007 at 06:29 AM
Krissan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 89
...and in the blue corner, he weighed in this morning at 7 received mails.... Krrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiisssaaaan!

06-30-2007 at 07:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I only got 8 on my account, and Spam Assassin didn't even complain after seeing more than one of them. PMs notifications have worked fine ever since Jamie pulled up his (FreeBSD-free) server together, though.
06-30-2007 at 08:28 AM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509

I got one (for the moment).

^^
06-30-2007 at 09:26 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
I got eight. If it helps to track it down, they seem to have been duplicated right from the start of the chain, since I got differing timestamps in the earliest of the Received: headers. From two of the mails:
Received: from mail.caravelgames3.com (caravelgames-ssh-tunnel.catflap-local.bishopston.net [10.20.20.5])
        by catflap.bishopston.net (8.14.1/8.14.1) with SMTP id l5TN9HhU073726
        for <*****>; Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:09:17 +0100 (BST)
        (envelope-from no-reply@mail.caravelgames3.com)

Received: from mail.caravelgames3.com (caravelgames-ssh-tunnel.catflap-local.bishopston.net [10.20.20.5])
        by catflap.bishopston.net (8.14.1/8.14.1) with SMTP id l5TN9I8u073738
        for <*****>; Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:09:18 +0100 (BST)
        (envelope-from no-reply@mail.caravelgames3.com)

06-30-2007 at 10:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I got none.

06-30-2007 at 11:24 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
wallu wrote:
I have always got 2 mails to two different addresses, but last night I got 18.
Hah! Beat you by one - 19 here. :D

But meh - at least they're only 5kB each, not one of those 1MB+ monstrosities Boomkat sent out before they reconsidered putting the images on their server and linking to them...

np: Apparat - Fractales Pt.I (Walls)

06-30-2007 at 11:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
I got 3, quite odd (not even)!
06-30-2007 at 12:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
I suggest we rename this illumination to "Bulk-Mailing is Good (in Moderation)" and the Powers That Be Mailing Out Stuff(TM) just make sure next time it's one cross each, first door on the left. ;)

np: The Orb - 73.5 ft. nitraM (Orb Sessions Volume 1)

06-30-2007 at 12:46 PM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I see I was very lucky in receiving exactly one Illumination.

...not that I don't read the forum anyway.

06-30-2007 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
I thought it might have been on purpose. I got 9, and no matter how entertaining they are, I decided not to read all of them. :P
06-30-2007 at 04:16 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Aw, crudmonkeys. It's really hard not to say "coming on board". Maybe impossible.

I suggest accepting the inevitable and taking it to its logical extremes: they're "crew members" for the redundantly named "S.S. Caravel", and their duties will be to keep "the ship steady" and perhaps to "swab the decks".

I'm just saying this because I need to know where to refill my soapy bucket of water.

06-30-2007 at 05:12 PM
bodkin
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26

I had thirteen copies. Is this a record?
06-30-2007 at 06:07 PM
jmpava
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
bodkin wrote:

I had thirteen copies. Is this a record?

Given that Briareos indicated he had 19, probably not. I had 12 by the way.

This is the footer of the header of the most recent one. The first one is identical, but the timestamp is 00:12:41. Perhaps it's not handling whitelisted IP's quite right?

X-Greylist: Sender IP whitelisted, not delayed by milter-greylist-3.0 (catflap.bishopston.net [10.20.20.5]); Sat, 30 Jun 2007 00:12:46 +0100 (BST)
X-pstn-levels: (S: 6.23003/99.90000 R:95.9108 P:95.9108 M:89.1761 C:99.7951 )
X-pstn-settings: 2 (0.5000:0.5000) s gt3 gt2 gt1 r p m c
X-pstn-addresses: from <no-reply@caravelgames3.com> [3801/142]

[Last edited by jmpava at 06-30-2007 06:45 PM]
06-30-2007 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Uno for me.
06-30-2007 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bodkin
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26

jmpava: Given that Briareos indicated he had 19, probably not. I had 12 by the way.
----------------

Sorry, skipped that bit, and wallu's 18. Can I have some more please.
06-30-2007 at 10:01 PM
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
ErikH2000 probably won't give you more emails of the Illumination. That's cheating.:P

06-30-2007 at 10:10 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I am all up in the having two copies of this fine illumination.
06-30-2007 at 11:28 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
I've received 0 copies at my @yahoo address - even though I told it not to delete spam, but just to put it in the bulk mail folder - the bulk mail folder is empty, too.

07-01-2007 at 12:10 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
My yahoo address received it straight into the Bulk folder. But only once, I believe.
07-01-2007 at 01:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Bulk-Mailing is Good. (Our News for June.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com