Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : CaravelNet and DROD versions
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
IP: Logged
icon CaravelNet and DROD versions (+1)  
Okay, here's the background to the dilemma.

27th May, I decided to give DROD:AE a try after having tried DROD a *LONG* time ago and given up early on (various reasons, but basically lost interest at the time, had other things to do, and the old "Webfoot didn't have checkpoints" thing). Played through it, enjoyed it, saw the demos of the sequels, decided I wanted them all.

30th May, ordered KDD2.0, JtRH and TCB. Yes, KDD2.0 seperately. And after I'd completed AE already. Yes, I knew what I was getting into. No, I didn't really know much about how they'd arrive and what Smitemaster's Selections were. Looked around for a while to figure out how I could merge my KDD2.0 and JtRH installations together, then gave up and just ploughed on. Started completing all three in order.

10th June, finished mastering all three games. Decided I wasn't done yet. Downloaded some user holds, registered with the forum, etc., etc.

It's now the 27th of June, and I'm now considering CaravelNet. And so begins the dilemma.

I have three installations. I've read about things you have to do to get two installations running and connected, which is understandable but niggly. Read somewhere that CaravelNet is designed for two installations with different keys. No mention of three installations. Not found any way to merge my KDD2.0 into JtRH. Don't particularly want to move everything into TCB because I still prefer playing JtRH user holds in JtRH (it feels closer to author's intention that way).

So, given that I still have a one-month trial that I can sign up for, and also given that I'm probably going to end up getting a full subscription eventually, how should I go about setting this up so that I (1) get JtRH and TCB both permenantly linked to CaravelNet and (2) get KDD2.0/The Choice scores uploaded once, even if I never get to do so again? Alternatively, a way to merge KDD2.0/The Choice into my JtRH installation without having to buy them again would also work.

I could probably just go ahead and *try* things, but I figure it's safer to ask first in this case.
06-27-2007 at 12:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: CaravelNet and DROD versions (+1)  
Caravel works on a per user basis. That means, as long as there is no more than one connection, it will work without a hitch. All you need to do is input the code that is sent to you after buying caravelnet, along with your username, in the box provided in the settings. If you want, you can input the details into your KDD 2.0 installation, upload all scores, then do the same for JtRH and TCB.

To be honest, I don't blame you for struggling to figure out caravelnet, it's not very well explained. I, under the pressure of a discounted price, had to take a 'suck it and see' approach to caravelnet, and after working through a issue that was documented it the caravelnet F&Q :blush, discovered that it worked perfectly.

I wouldn't be too worried about swindling yourself either, Erik's (or is it mattcrampy who deals with these things these days?) a nice guy and would be happy to refund you in the case of a mistake.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 06-27-2007 12:44 PM]
06-27-2007 at 12:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
TFMurphy wrote:
I have three installations. I've read about things you have to do to get two installations running and connected, which is understandable but niggly. Read somewhere that CaravelNet is designed for two installations with different keys. No mention of three installations.
The worst that can happen with three installations is that you might have to request a new CaravelNet key on a semi-regular basis, because only the last two you used will be valid at any time. But if you just want to upload your scores from all three clients just go ahead and request a new key, put it into the corresponding client and upload your scores.

If at any time one of the clients doesn't connect to CaravelNet just request a new key and you're set.

Alternatively, you could probably mail support@caravelgames.com and ask them to add KDD2.0 as a Smitemasters Selection hold to your CaravelNet account if it isn't already listed in the "Purchases" tab in your forum profile which would allow you to just download the KDD2.0 hold and import it into JtRH.

Oh, one more thing - if you've created a new player for each DROD installation you're going to have a problem merging them, I'm afraid - unless Stefan or mrimer or someone else in the know of fiddling with player exports helps you change the player ids so all your progress exports have the same id - otherwise importing your KDD and JtRH player exports into TCB would leave you with 3 separate player profiles...

06-27-2007 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: CaravelNet and DROD versions (0)  
Briareos wrote:
The worst that can happen with three installations is that you might have to request a new CaravelNet key on a semi-regular basis, because only the last two you used will be valid at any time. But if you just want to upload your scores from all three clients just go ahead and request a new key, put it into the corresponding client and upload your scores.

Sounds like a plan. Then I can just tell KDD2.0 not to connect... but more on that in a bit.

Briareos wrote:
Alternatively, you could probably mail support@caravelgames.com and ask them to add KDD2.0 as a Smitemasters Selection hold to your CaravelNet account if it isn't already listed in the "Purchases" tab in your forum profile which would allow you to just download the KDD2.0 hold and import it into JtRH.

That is looking like something I'll have to do, given what I've read again here. KDD2.0 isn't uploading scores, yada, yada, probably gonna need Schik to do the same for me.

Briareos wrote:
Oh, one more thing - if you've created a new player for each DROD installation you're going to have a problem merging them, I'm afraid - unless Stefan or mrimer or someone else in the know of fiddling with player exports helps you change the player ids so all your progress exports have the same id - otherwise importing your KDD and JtRH player exports into TCB would leave you with 3 separate player profiles...

I think I recall transfering each player profile into the next (one of the reasons I played each in order), so I *might* not have this problem. Of course, I also might not remember correctly. In any case, I'd be holding off importing *anything* new into TCB from JtRH and below until I'm much more sure about how things are going patch-wise.

Thanks for the help.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 06-27-2007 01:20 PM]
06-27-2007 at 01:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
CaravelNet has always supported having up to three active keys per user at a time, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-27-2007 09:25 PM]
06-27-2007 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Why can't one simply input the same key in all three instalations?
06-27-2007 at 06:47 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
No, it's because each key is, AFAIK, associated to a specific player file on your installation. I know that if you have the same player file (with export-import), it usually works.

Also, AFAIK, it is two keys, not three.
06-27-2007 at 07:25 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5413
Wallu is correct. And it's three.

06-27-2007 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
Aah. Well then, I stand corrected!
06-27-2007 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
Schik wrote:
Wallu is correct. And it's three.
If it were eight, it would be flawlessly consistent :D .
07-04-2007 at 02:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
halyavin wrote:
If it were eight, it would be flawlessly consistent

close, but to be consistent it would actually have to be the multiplicative inverse of that :)

07-04-2007 at 03:06 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : CaravelNet and DROD versions
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com