Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ah, what is the difference between KDD 2.0 and the KDD that costs 20 bucks?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
worm
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
IP: Logged
icon Ah, what is the difference between KDD 2.0 and the KDD that costs 20 bucks? (0)  
Since I've been trying to get everyone I know to play DROD lately, I was just wondering what was the difference. I got the Smite Master Selection of KDD 2.0 from my account being old. Since I'm trying to get people to start out on JTRH and most people want to start with the first game I'm not sure what to tell them (besides that I like JTRH more than KDD). If someone could tell me if they're basically the same or very different that'd be appreciated and would help me into trying to get people into the game.

[Last edited by worm at 06-26-2007 06:15 PM]
06-26-2007 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Ah, what is the difference between KDD 2.0 and the KDD that costs 20 bucks? (0)  
worm wrote:
Since I've been trying to get everyone I know to play DROD lately, I was just wondering what was the difference. I got the Smite Master Selection of KDD 2.0 from my account being old. Since I'm trying to get people to start out on JTRH and most people want to start with the first game I'm not sure what to tell them (besides that I like JTRH more than KDD). If someone could tell me if they're basically the same or very different that'd be appreciated and would help me into trying to get people into the game.
DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon is a stand-alone version of the KDD 2.0 that you can order as a Smitemaster's Selection. [Edit: As a stand-alone, it also contains the three room styles featured in JtRH.] KDD 2.0 also comes with another Smitemaster's Selection hold, "The Choice" by Neil Frederick.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-26-2007 11:15 PM]
06-26-2007 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
worm
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: Ah, what is the difference between KDD 2.0 and the KDD that costs 20 bucks? (0)  
Ah, great. That's what I wanted to know exactly. Thank you.
06-26-2007 at 06:15 PM
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
I thought both versions came with The Choice.

06-26-2007 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Pinnacle wrote:
I thought both versions came with The Choice.
I don't think what Mike said precluded that. The Choice comes with both the full version of KDD2.0 (what Mike calls DROD:KDD) and the individual SS download.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-26-2007 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Ah, what is the difference between KDD 2.0 and the KDD that costs 20 bucks? (+1)  
There is also the 3 different styles that are also included, IIRC.
06-26-2007 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
NiroZ wrote:

No. DROD:KDD is identical to DROD:JtRH, except that it includes KDD 2.0 (and the Choice) instead of the JtRH hold.

06-26-2007 at 11:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
eytanz wrote:
NiroZ wrote:

No. DROD:KDD is identical to DROD:JtRH, except that it includes KDD 2.0 (and the Choice) instead of the JtRH hold.

and when you buy JtRH, you also buy the Iceworks and Deep Spaces styles, no?
06-27-2007 at 02:37 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
NiroZ wrote:
and when you buy JtRH, you also buy the Iceworks and Deep Spaces styles, no?
As with the KDD engine, yes...

06-27-2007 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I believe Eytan is saying if you only buy the KDD2.0 hold as an SS, to install in the demo version of 2.0 or 3.0, then it doesn't come with the extra floor styles. I honestly don't know if that is true or not...I suspect that it may be, and if so, it either happens rarely and hasn't been made public, or was made public but I forgot. I think that most people wouldn't buy the KDD2.0 SS if they didn't already have the full version of JtRH, and of course they wouldn't need it if they had the full DROD:KDD version.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-27-2007 at 03:14 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
No, what I was trying to do was correct what I thought NiroZ was saying - that DROD:KDD includes 3 additional styles that are not included in a full install of JtRH; in other words, that there's anything there that cannot be gotten from buying JtRH and the SmS version of KDD 2.0.

It turns out that that was not what NiroZ meant, but if I misunderstood him other people might have too, so I'm leaving my correction up.

06-27-2007 at 03:17 AM
NiroZ
eytanz wrote:
It turns out that that was not what NiroZ meant, but if I misunderstood him other people might have too, so I'm leaving my correction up.
I don't blame you. I have difficulty understanding myself sometimes.
06-27-2007 at 07:16 AM
Jothki
Rank Points: 15
icon Re: Ah, what is the difference between KDD 2.0 and the KDD that costs 20 bucks? (+2)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
I believe Eytan is saying if you only buy the KDD2.0 hold as an SS, to install in the demo version of 2.0 or 3.0, then it doesn't come with the extra floor styles. I honestly don't know if that is true or not...I suspect that it may be, and if so, it either happens rarely and hasn't been made public, or was made public but I forgot. I think that most people wouldn't buy the KDD2.0 SS if they didn't already have the full version of JtRH, and of course they wouldn't need it if they had the full DROD:KDD version.

It doesn't come with the extra floor styles, at least not if you run it in the TCB demo.

As far as I can tell, there seems to be a (fairly logical, given how the game was designed, marketed, and released) inconsistency between how KDD and JtRH are handled. Ignoring the other SS and TCB, there are essentially three parts to the package: the $11 base which gives you the extra styles and replaces the nag screen, the $9 JtRH hold, and the $9 KDD (and the Choice, since JtRH is newer and shinier). You can buy the KDD hold without buying the base, but as far as I'm aware (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), you have to buy the base and JtRH together even if you've already bought the base along with KDD.

Now that TCB is out, would it make sense to convert JtRH into a KDD-style SS, allowing people who have bought the full version of KDD or TCB to play it without needing to purchase a base along with it?
07-03-2007 at 09:33 PM
NiroZ
Jothki wrote:
Now that TCB is out, would it make sense to convert JtRH into a KDD-style SS, allowing people who have bought the full version of KDD or TCB to play it without needing to purchase a base along with it?
Well according to some people who have hacked DROD and exported and imported JtRH into TCB, there are some issues when running JtRH in DROD 3.0.
07-04-2007 at 05:03 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Ah, what is the difference between KDD 2.0 and the KDD that costs 20 bucks?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com