Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : How do you vote in architecture competitions?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon How do you vote in architecture competitions? (0)  
Having read through all the different pieces of feedback for my last competition, I've noticed that even though pretty much everyone followed my voting instructions, there was still great variation in what people would vote for holds. I mean, for one of the holds the biggest gripe was that it was too dark. Some people would mark down holds that weren't anyone edit, and others still would just rush through the holds, getting a 'feel' for them and just marking it on that.

I'm not by any means saying that it's wrong to do things, far from it. However, for the sake of future contests it would be helpful to know what exactly people will be judged on.

Thus, I ask you, how do you vote in architecture competitions? Note that I'm not at all interested in how people should vote, something best discussed in another thread.
06-17-2007 at 04:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: How do you vote in architecture competitions? (+2)  
I make myself a marking standard. Usually the standard is based partially on the rules of the contest (because it often overlaps with the marking scheme). By default, my standard would probably be two to each of flavor, design, enjoyability, and difficulty, and the contest. Depending on the contest, I may overlap them. For instance, in Elemental Showcase, I overlapped the contest with design.

In a non-contest environment, or a case where the contest is not an appropriate marking scheme, I upgrade design and enjoyability to three marks each.

Also, each mark is based on a sweet spot. For difficulty, I want a hold that makes me sit for a few minutes, then I get it in a burst of insight but don't feel like I'm just being dumb.

Flavor tends to be the hardest to meet in Contest holds, and I've been considering lowering my standard. Sometimes though, the flavor of the hold is just confusing and so I have to mark it low.

Design is based around how I feel the puzzles meshed together. Perhaps you could call it my appreciation of the hold from the architect's point of view.

Enjoyability is pretty straightforward.

Lastly, if a hold violates contest rules, I mark it down. Some people might disagree, but if someone posts an illegal hold and the contest organizer doesn't catch it, I don't see why I should mean that they should be given a fair chance.

Especially when the rules are posted in a public place that you have to go to to enter. (wow, I used three "to"s in four consecutive words)

Of course, that's all assuming that I can get the marking done in time (I think I've managed once.)
06-17-2007 at 05:12 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
icon Re: How do you vote in architecture competitions? (0)  
coppro wrote:
Also, each mark is based on a sweet spot. For difficulty, I want a hold that makes me sit for a few minutes, then I get it in a burst of insight but don't feel like I'm just being dumb.
So in other words, you prefer a room that has a 'trick' in it?
Flavor tends to be the hardest to meet in Contest holds, and I've been considering lowering my standard. Sometimes though, the flavor of the hold is just confusing and so I have to mark it low.
How do you define flavour?
Enjoyability is pretty straightforward.
But what makes a hold enjoyable to you?
Of course, that's all assuming that I can get the marking done in time (I think I've managed once.)
So what do you do when you realise you are running out of time?

Also, how does things like story, grammar/spelling factor in? Do you insist on playing through each hold from start to finish, including secrets?
06-17-2007 at 05:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
NiroZ wrote:
So in other words, you prefer a room that has a 'trick' in it?
Not nessecarily. A horde room that takes long enough to be satisfying but not completely frustrating would be fine.
How do you define flavour?
Artistry, story, things like that. Mostly things that aren't related to the game but make the hold better. Kind of like art in a game. It's not needed, but a game played on a black and white board with no real definition of what the goal is outside of the rules is boring.
But what makes a hold enjoyable to you?
That's very touch to define. Minor things like readability of scrolls definitely contribute to me not enjoying it. Or maybe if there's some completely non-obvious, non-hinted script required to complete a room. DROD is first and foremost a game of logic, so I definitely find anything that I know can't be determined by logic annoying (even if I don't apply that logic). Also, having to enter the editor for any reason is annoying (unless it were a part of some not pr0n-type puzzle.)
So what do you do when you realise you are running out of time?
Mostly realize that my life is more important than the contest, and that the 15 holds I haven't done aren't going to get done.

I never vote without assessing everything though.
Also, how does things like story, grammar/spelling factor in? Do you insist on playing through each hold from start to finish, including secrets?
I do try to play each hold from start to finish. When I can't, I consider that frustrating, and probably a deduction on both difficulty and enjoyability.
06-17-2007 at 05:51 AM
NiroZ
coppro wrote:I do try to play each hold from start to finish. When I can't, I consider that frustrating, and probably a deduction on both difficulty and enjoyability.
When do you decide to give up? When it gets frustrating? or when you think you've given enough time to that hold?
06-17-2007 at 05:54 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: How do you vote in architecture competitions? (+1)  
I don't have a voting rubric; my voting is impressionistic. What did I think of it? Good, bad, annoying, clever...? I only mind a hold not being anyone-edit if I can't finish it: I'd like to be able to vote on the whole thing. But other than that, no specific criteria.

Of course, some thing are more likely to influence my impression. Bad spelling and grammar are high on my list. Bad scripting; though good scripting'll raise my opinion. Sutff like that.
06-17-2007 at 07:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
icon Re: How do you vote in architecture competitions? (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
When do you decide to give up? When it gets frustrating? or when you think you've given enough time to that hold?
Frustration - mainly when I can't solve a puzzle. I'll even come back to try it again later. I'm a completionist.

The exception is Holds Al Dante, where I played each hold for 1 hour max.
06-17-2007 at 04:46 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : How do you vote in architecture competitions?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com