Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : WonderQuest Dreams available for testing. (Thread terminated.)
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
IP: Logged
icon Re: WonderQuest Dreams available for testing. (0)  
However sometimes Rick will just die instead

Really? It could be a bug.
Try to reproduce it.
06-25-2007 at 08:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bonnie
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 14

File: killrick.jpg (125.9 KB)
Downloaded 67 times.
License: Public Domain
In the example image, Rick will die if he moves East or swings his axe clockwise.
06-25-2007 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
I tried it here but nothing happened.
He's not supposed to die in this situation.
06-25-2007 at 08:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: WonderQuest Dreams available for testing. (+1)  
Tried it, nothing happens. Maybe you have an old version?

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

06-25-2007 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Another bug: in Master Orion, Level 9, Brothers in Arms:

-Noah

My stuff:

06-26-2007 at 10:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
Master Orion, level 4 (Crossing the River):

[Last edited by BDR at 06-26-2007 02:27 PM]
06-26-2007 at 02:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
icon Re: WonderQuest Dreams available for testing. (+3)  
The wall tile at (39, 28) isn't cuttable by Jax, blocking access to the secret to the south.
Fixed.
Two things: First, is the secret at Once South intended to be only available the first time you solve Twice East? If not, I can't see how to access it after the wall to keep the ball from rolling in Twice East is gone, which meant I had to restore and resolve the puzzle without changing over to Nikolay (it's only slightly harder than taking the "hard way" in general, but I think it makes things just a bit more inconvenient).
Yeah, I'll see if I can create an alternate route.
Secondly, I can find the secret at Twice North, but I can't find the last one. I'd like to think it should be at 2N4E, but I tried there already and couldn't find it. Am I missing something?

[Last edited by googa at 06-26-2007 07:43 PM]
06-26-2007 at 07:42 PM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Okay, I'm downloading it right now (after deleting two posts saying I was having problems; first two posts I've ever deleted).

I am a little unsure about how the email is different from the one listed on Orion's Quest. But none of the other previous 6 downloaders said anything about it, so . . .

Okay, I need help on how the editor works. So far, I got that pressing B lets you place the player, and that the other letters bring you seemingly randomly around some lists of elements (but you can't return to the first list of elements, so I can no longer make stuff like mud or moving platforms).
Right now, it looks like a level editor on drugs. I'm really not sure how to make a room at all.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 07-02-2007 03:09 AM]
07-02-2007 at 02:54 AM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Crap, this replaced the original WonderQuest, so now I have to do Orion Master Quest all over again (I think I was on floor 5 or 6), but this time with new bugs caused by changes in game physics.

Uh, why did you change game physics, anyways? If you want two things to interact differently, then make a new element. Make that new element different from it's counterpart in enough ways, and then utilize it.
Otherwise, do what other game programmers do; each game should act uniquely, so just stick with the unique physics that your game already has. For instance, it's up to DROD fanatics to find out tiny details (such as scrolls stopping Serpents) and then make holds based on it. If Serpents all of a sudden ignored scrolls, imagine all the broken holds!

07-02-2007 at 03:46 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Use a right-click on the objects list.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-02-2007 at 03:06 PM
googa
each game should act uniquely, so just stick with the unique physics that your game already has. For instance, it's up to DROD fanatics to find out tiny details (such as scrolls stopping Serpents) and then make holds based on it. If Serpents all of a sudden ignored scrolls, imagine all the broken holds!
Certainly, that's why the editor wasn't released before. Some changes/improvements needed to be made. Things won't change that much from now on unless if needed.
Okay, I need help on how the editor works. So far, I got that pressing B lets you place the player, and that the other letters bring you seemingly randomly around some lists of elements (but you can't return to the first list of elements, so I can no longer make stuff like mud or moving platforms).
Right now, it looks like a level editor on drugs. I'm really not sure how to make a room at all.

1) Open WQ folder,
2) Open docs folder,
3) Open help file.
Crap, this replaced the original WonderQuest, so now I have to do Orion Master Quest all over again (I think I was on floor 5 or 6), but this time with new bugs caused by changes in game physics.
Restore the game.
07-03-2007 at 02:57 AM
NoahT
icon Re: WonderQuest Dreams available for testing. (+3)  
Here are four more trivial solutions I found the last time I played the game:

*Asterisks indicate rooms I don't completely recall the intended solutions to, so no ideas for fixes are suggested.

*Master Orion, Tenth Level, 3N2E: It is possible to beat the room without ever switching to Chen.

*Master Orion, Eleventh Level, 1S4W: You can pass through the room without entering the shed area.

Master Orion, Eleventh Level, 4S2W: You can kill most of the mad fluffies from the arrow at (38, 14). Forcing Jax to step off the arrow before killing any fluffies will fix this.

Dreams, Fourth Level, Muddy Banks (SE): If you are quick, you can get one of the snakes to push crates onto the open blue doors, making the timing part unnecessary. Replacing the crates that surround the blue doors with forest tiles should fix this.

One other thing-Wonderquest keeps crashing when I try to go through the second section of Master Orion, Level 12, 3W.

I'll post more bugs when I find them.

-Noah

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 07-04-2007 03:04 AM]
07-03-2007 at 07:19 AM
NoahT
And another one!

In Dreams, Level 5, 1N3E, the ability to place up to five arrows makes it possible to set them up so the balls run into a gridlock with one of them on the orange pressure plate. This can be easily fixed by replacing one of the +5 water collectibles with three +1 ones.

-Noah

My stuff:

07-04-2007 at 02:09 AM
googa
In Dreams, Level 5, 1N3E, the ability to place up to five arrows makes it possible to set them up so the balls run into a gridlock with one of them on the orange pressure plate. This can be easily fixed by replacing one of the +5 water collectibles with three +1 ones.
Fixed.
Master Orion, Tenth Level, 3N2E: It is possible to beat the room without ever switching to Chen.
Humm, still trying to do that...
*Master Orion, Eleventh Level, 1S4W: You can pass through the room without entering the shed area.
Still trying too.
Master Orion, Eleventh Level, 4S2W: You can kill most of the mad fluffies from the arrow at (38, 14). Forcing Jax to step off the arrow before killing any fluffies will fix this.
Fixed. This room has been a headache since the first release.
Dreams, Fourth Level, Muddy Banks (SE): If you are quick, you can get one of the snakes to push crates onto the open blue doors, making the timing part unnecessary. Replacing the crates that surround the blue doors with forest tiles should fix this.
Fixed.
One other thing-Wonderquest keeps crashing when I try to go through the second section of Master Orion, Level 12, 3W.
Fixed.
07-04-2007 at 04:11 AM
NoahT
icon Re: WonderQuest Dreams available for testing. (+2)  
googa wrote:
Master Orion, Tenth Level, 3N2E: It is possible to beat the room without ever switching to Chen.
Humm, still trying to do that...

Well, the way the room currently is, you can just activate the ray caster, wait for it to burn the path through the forest, turn it off, and switch to the Archer to kill the roach. This can be fixed by placing an orb that must be struck before the room can be complete in the space with the eastern red splitter. This orb could, say, open a yellow door in front of the marooned roach.

The beginning of this room is also trivial, because you can just head up to the blue pressure plates immediately. Sealing that area with two yellow doors that are opened by the orbs at (27, 23) and (35, 25) should fix this problem.

Still trying too.

The form this room is currently in, the only need for the food is to use Jax's special to obtain the rope without being caught by the bombs. After that, you can easily switch to Rick and leave. A solution would be to close off Rick's icon with a yellow door that is opened by the orb at (38, 17).

-Noah

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 07-04-2007 12:38 PM]
07-04-2007 at 12:09 PM
googa
Master Orion, Eleventh Level, 1S4W: You can pass through the room without entering the shed area.
Fixed.
Fixed.

Thanks for the suggestions, Noah. They're saving me a lot of time. :)
07-05-2007 at 03:32 AM
NoahT
Glad to be of help, googa. And as long as I'm posting, I might as well mention another issue. In Master Orion, Level 8, 2S4E, you don't need to strike the middle orb to solve the room. I forget how this orb is used in the intended solution, but you get the roach to move onto the shed and use the orb there as a barrier to keep the roach there. Then you can break for the southermost orb.

-Noah

My stuff:

07-05-2007 at 08:49 AM
googa
NoahT wrote:
Glad to be of help, googa. And as long as I'm posting, I might as well mention another issue. In Master Orion, Level 8, 2S4E, you don't need to strike the middle orb to solve the room. I forget how this orb is used in the intended solution, but you get the roach to move onto the shed and use the orb there as a barrier to keep the roach there. Then you can break for the southermost orb.
Bug fixed, I just deleted the orb.
07-05-2007 at 10:35 PM
Baalrukh
Rank Points: 11
This may be somehow off-topic as it is not out the new quest, but I have a few feature requests about the game.

- As I'm playing WQ mostly at work during midday break, I prefer playing windowed but as on any modern computer, my desktop is set to 32bits/pixel. But special effects (blood, orbs actions and map) are coded in 24bps. Could it be possible to support 32 bits desktop ?

- and as midday breaks are not as long as I would like them to, I thought that I could copy WQ on an USB key and play from it at work or at home, but it seems you are saving every move on the disk for the undo feature. Given the low speeds of flash memory, WQ is simply unplayable on the USB key :( Once more, with 'modern' computer with gigas of RAM, I don't quiet see the use of writing a file for backup at each step (your backup seems to use 80ko for an application using about 12Mo...). Could you do something for this too?

Except these 2 points, I really like your game, level design is really good with refreshing idea compared to DROD and I can hardy wait to finish the Master Orion (2 levels left) quest before trying Dreams.
07-26-2007 at 10:32 PM
googa
As I'm playing WQ mostly at work during midday break, I prefer playing windowed but as on any modern computer, my desktop is set to 32bits/pixel. But special effects (blood, orbs actions and map) are coded in 24bps. Could it be possible to support 32 bits desktop ?

I could do that, but it would take a lot of extra time. I'm currently working with another projects, so all I can do now is finishing and releasing the game.

and as midday breaks are not as long as I would like them to, I thought that I could copy WQ on an USB key and play from it at work or at home, but it seems you are saving every move on the disk for the undo feature. Given the low speeds of flash memory, WQ is simply unplayable on the USB key Once more, with 'modern' computer with gigas of RAM, I don't quiet see the use of writing a file for backup at each step (your backup seems to use 80ko for an application using about 12Mo...). Could you do something for this too?

Well, now it's done. I would probably use a different memory system If I could start it over.

I'm glad to see you liked it Baalrukh. :)
07-27-2007 at 05:26 PM
Baalrukh
Rank Points: 11
Thanks a lot!
For the 32bps feature, it's too bad you don't have time to code it but I've been playing with incorrect graphics for some time now, I can go on this way
07-27-2007 at 07:05 PM
Milarion
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
I've been replaying the Master Orion quest in the Dreams engine (quest version 18, according to my map screen) and I found an odd bug in tenth level 1S3E - Sophie can wave a torch at a fluffy to get it mad, back away and then 'undo' the action to completely disingtegrate the poor creature.

Undo right after it turns purple works properly, returning it to red and vibrating frantically. Stepping back away from it after it turns purple and then using undo to be back next to it, though, causes the fluffy to entirely disappear. In fact, any undo after that will erase the unstable bad fluffy, as will leaving it trapped at the tower while saving and restoring.
08-14-2007 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
Milarion wrote:
I've been replaying the Master Orion quest in the Dreams engine (quest version 18, according to my map screen) and I found an odd bug in tenth level 1S3E - Sophie can wave a torch at a fluffy to get it mad, back away and then 'undo' the action to completely disingtegrate the poor creature.

Undo right after it turns purple works properly, returning it to red and vibrating frantically. Stepping back away from it after it turns purple and then using undo to be back next to it, though, causes the fluffy to entirely disappear. In fact, any undo after that will erase the unstable bad fluffy, as will leaving it trapped at the tower while saving and restoring.

This bug has been fixed, but I'm not able to say if the newest version has this update. And I can't check right now because I don't have access to WQ source here.
08-15-2007 at 01:16 AM
Milarion

File: WQSnakes.gif (454.1 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Other
Ooh, another, weirder one - at the entrance to level 13, snakes got mangled graphically. It happened several times when I was standing close to multiple snakes in various locations, and I'm attaching a screenshot of one of the weirder moments. Almost everything on the grass is messed up, but nothing else on the screen. I'm rather impressed that the two snakes involved ended up with five heads and eight tails between them.

I have noticed snakes' appearances flickering oddly as they moved, too fast to be sure of details, since I first met them, like they're being drawn with the wrong tiles and then corrected on the next frame.

I grabbed this in Dreams Beta 4.03.
08-15-2007 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
Milarion wrote:
Ooh, another, weirder one - at the entrance to level 13, snakes got mangled graphically. It happened several times when I was standing close to multiple snakes in various locations, and I'm attaching a screenshot of one of the weirder moments. Almost everything on the grass is messed up, but nothing else on the screen. I'm rather impressed that the two snakes involved ended up with five heads and eight tails between them.

I have noticed snakes' appearances flickering oddly as they moved, too fast to be sure of details, since I first met them, like they're being drawn with the wrong tiles and then corrected on the next frame.

I grabbed this in Dreams Beta 4.03.

I'll take a look at this one as soon as I can.
Thanks, keep posting.

08-20-2007 at 04:58 PM
Milarion
Thanks for keeping up with these problems I'm digging up. I'm afraid I've got a new one in the entrance of 15, another ray-burning-forest behavior one.

Also, I can personally confirm that all the secrets for levels 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 11, and 13 are fully reachable on version 18 of the quest, and I suspect you didn't break any of them with the change to version 21. I haven't gone back looking for mastery on the other levels yet - those were the secrets that were 'convenient' for me to grab on the first pass. I'm still at 45/60, which isn't too shabby I hope.
08-26-2007 at 07:34 PM
googa
Yep. Another bug.

I'm attaching a file containing both the newest versions with all the recent bug fixes and improvements:

Master Orion - version 22.
Dreams - version 7.

Unrar them, and replace the old ones located in your WQ quests folder.

To check if everything is working OK, go to Restore screen. Quest version number is displayed in the bottom right.

PS: Update it only if you're using WQ Dreams v4.03.
08-28-2007 at 12:48 AM
NoahT
Uh, how exactly does one unrar that file?

-Noah

My stuff:

08-28-2007 at 01:33 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
NoahT wrote:
Uh, how exactly does one unrar that file?

-Noah
Using software that uncompresses .rar files, such as WinRAR.

08-28-2007 at 01:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Thread terminated.

[Last edited by googa at 01-04-2008 01:45 AM]
08-28-2007 at 01:41 AM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : WonderQuest Dreams available for testing. (Thread terminated.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com