Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Char-Actors (A game of actor association)
Page 1 of 14
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
IP: Logged
icon Char-Actors (+5)  
I couldn't find another game like this on the forum so here's my idea: (If there is a game like this that I just didn't find, sorry for duplicating it.)

1- Someone describes three characters that an actor or actress has played from movies or TV shows. (Basically anything they were in, so commercials and music videos are valid, but will most likely have been seen by less people.)
2- You can list multiple characters from the same movie but they must be actual characters that the actor played (ala Eddie Murphy in ... anything he's ever done), not personas that one of the characters pretends to be in the course of the movie (ala Dana Carvey in "Master of Disguise").
3- Avoid giving the name of the character, but try to make sure that the description contains something unique or distinctive about that character. (You can name them if you wish, though.)
4- Bit parts can be listed if you wish but please use judgement. Someone who only does bit parts is less likely to be noticed than a big star with a little cameo.
5- After the list of characters has been posted, someone else guesses who it is (as if I actually needed to spell that out).
6- When guessing, state the actor you think it is and then (for the benefit of others who may not know where you're getting your guess) list the movies you think the clues are referring to.
7- You don't have to list a movie for every character in the list since you may not have seen them all, but please list what you can and at least one. That means if you have a guess based only off of one of the clues, that's fine. It's just probably going to be harder to be sure of yourself.
8- When you guess correctly, the previous lister gives you two mod points and you get to put up your own list.
9- If you make a perfectly valid guess based off of all of the clues but it is not the actor that the lister intended, you do not get to make your own list but you get one point and the original lister may need to modify his character list. (This is to avoid someone making a completely vague list just to keep people guessing.) --Note, a valid guess based off of some or even most of the clues does not count since that last clue may be the one that makes the intended actor stand apart.--
10- For voiced characters (i.e. cartoon, puppet or cg characters) describe the character they voiced as if it had been them. If they only did the singing voice, however (ala Danny Elfman as Jack Skellington), please state "singing" as part of the character description. (You must be able to hear them. It doesn't matter that Frank Oz did the puppetry for Augra since you can't hear him. Listing the puppeteers is tantamount to listing the animators in a cartoon. They may have done much of the performance, but nobody can expect anyone to guess them.) If the character has one actor for the body and another for the voice, either one is a valid (ala Abe Sapien from Hellboy where Doug Jones was the on-screen presence and David Hyde Pierce dubbed the voice).

Please feel completely free to use engines like IMDB and such since, if the movie and character are not listed, if you can find them in a search, you must have had some idea to begin with. (A Google search may require less knowledge since you can search for the key words in the description, but is also less targeted to the needs of this game, so feel free with that too.)

Here I'll try to keep a running list of who has been done. You can duplicate a person if you want, but you may want to look here:
Click here to view the secret text

Here's my list:
1- A disgusting green hag who lives in a lake.
2- An alien child who makes contact with a boy in his dreams.
3- A born-again garbage man.
4- Not a doorstop

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 12-17-2007 10:46 PM]
06-15-2007 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
icon Re: Char-Actors (0)  
Aparently I chose someone that was a bit too obscure, so I'll give a hint for the first character listed.

06-16-2007 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Char-Actors (+2)  
"Not a doorstop" is actually Googleable enough--and knowing that he was in a movie with Tom Cruise suffices to confirm--that the actor is Robert Picardo. The former is the Emergency Medical Holographic Doctor from the Star Trek universe; the latter is Meg Mucklebones in Legend.
06-16-2007 at 03:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
icon Re: Char-Actors (+3)  
The alien child, it turns out via Google, is Explorers; the garbageman is The 'burbs.
06-16-2007 at 03:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Correct!

At first I didn't think anything of it, but then I began to realize that Picardo may not be as well known to others. I recognize him whenever I see him (Inner Space, Seven Days, Stargate, Home Improvement, Gremlins 2, etc.) but maybe I'm unusual in that.

I actually find it interesting that Explorers, Gremlins 2, the 'burbs, Inner Space and a bunch of other movies he was in were all directed by Joe Dante. The guy loves Picardo I guess.

Anyway, it's your turn Tahnan.

06-16-2007 at 06:16 AM
Tahnan
icon Re: Char-Actors (+1)  
All right, one of my favorite actors:

1. A reverend from an unidentified but very foreign country
2. A composer's valet
3. A geometry teacher

That should be enough, I think, though I can add a fourth if need be.
06-16-2007 at 07:37 AM
Garlonuss
Ooh, I have a guess for this one, but I'll give someone else a chance first. If I'm right, this guy also stands out whenever you see him.

06-16-2007 at 06:19 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: Char-Actors (+3)  
The composer's valet gave it away for me: Vincent Schiavelli.

1. Taxi
2. Amadeus
3. Better Off Dead
06-16-2007 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
That's him! Mmmm, Vincent Schiavelli.
06-17-2007 at 07:17 AM
noma
I just love seeing Vincent in films; he's a great charactor.

Here's the next one (easy I think):

1. An American on a bus tour in North Africa
2. An Australian ex-drug addict
3. An English lady with a not-so-perfect husband.

I'm heading up north for a few days - no internet access - so I'm going to PM Tahnan with the answer. That way the game can continue if someone guesses it in my absence. I'll award the points when I get back.
06-17-2007 at 01:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
I would have to guess Cate Blanchett.

The American on a bus tour is from Babel.
I'm not certain about the second character, but I know she has done work in Australian productions. I'm not certain she ever played a drug adict though.
For the last character, though I haven't seen it, I've heard some things about it and I'm going to guess An Ideal Husband because of how the character hint was worded. (Technically, it could also describe her character on Bandits)

06-18-2007 at 05:58 PM
Tahnan
Cate Blanchett is right. Noma didn't mail me the list of movies, but Google tells me that she's a recovering drug addict in "Little Fish". I'll take your word for it in the other two; I think I saw An Ideal Husband, but I don't remember it. (Note that she was American and, I think, unmarried in "Bandits"; wasn't she?)
06-19-2007 at 02:22 AM
Garlonuss
Actually, I thought she was married at first in Bandits (to the dork who didn't seem to appreciate the romantic dinner she made for the two of them), but I could be mistaken. And yeah, I had forgotten that she was an American in that one. It's been a while.

Okay, here we go with an easy one:
1. A little green man
2. A Rabbi out of place
3. An eccentric german scientist

06-19-2007 at 05:17 AM
noma
Thanks to Tahnan for taking care of that for me. And yes, the last film was "An Ideal Husband".
06-20-2007 at 04:47 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I'm leaning two ways on this one, but the 'easy' suggests that maybe it's... Peter Sellers?

Of course, my other choice is probably also wrong.

06-20-2007 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Garlonuss
No, not Sellers, but it is in the same general vein.

(I'm assuming it was the german scientist character that made you think that? Actually, the german scientist I mention is not one of this actor's most well-known characters.)

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 06-20-2007 08:11 PM]
06-20-2007 at 08:00 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Okay, well that fits my other guess: Walter Matthau.

(The German scientist being Einstein.)

06-21-2007 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Ah, I see where you're coming from. But picture someone more eccentric.

(And I'd probably have to say that, of the three roles I've listed, the little green man may be his most recognizable one.)

06-21-2007 at 07:36 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Alan Cumming was the alien in the second Flintstones movie. I can't see how he fits the other two roles though :/

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 06-21-2007 07:59 AM]
06-21-2007 at 07:58 AM
Rabscuttle
aha!

Mel Brooks:

1. Yoghurt (Space Balls)
2. Rabbi Tuckman (Robin Hood: Men in Tights)
3. Professor Max Krassman (The Muppet Movie)

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 06-21-2007 08:47 AM]
06-21-2007 at 08:47 AM
Rabscuttle
In the event that I am right, here is one (probably easy)

1. A popular daredevil test-pilot
2. A butler
3. A gym manager.
06-21-2007 at 09:23 AM
Garlonuss
Mel Brooks it is, Rabscuttle!

Though I just realized that Yoghurt is less green and more goldish, but good going.

I don't have any guesses yet on your actor, but I'll think about it.

06-21-2007 at 03:30 PM
Garlonuss
Okay, I'll throw out a wild guess:

Robert Guillaume

Mainly because he was the butler Benson on Soap, but I have no idea if he ever was either a test-pilot or gym manager, but I can see him doing those.

06-21-2007 at 05:34 PM
Rabscuttle
nope.
06-22-2007 at 12:51 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
How about Clark Gable? From "Test Pilot", and maybe as Rhett Butler in "Gone With The Wind"?

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by AlefBet at 06-22-2007 01:28 AM]
06-22-2007 at 01:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
No.
06-22-2007 at 02:02 AM
Garlonuss
Okay, if we're thinking along those lines, how about Tommy Lee Jones as:

1- Hawk Hawkins on Space Cowboys
2- Steve Butler from Heaven & Earth
3- I have no idea for this one

06-22-2007 at 05:12 AM
Rabscuttle
No, it is an actual butling butler.
06-22-2007 at 05:37 AM
jemann
Rank Points: 160
Clint Eastwood?

1. Probably Space Cowboys, again.
2. No idea.
3. His role in Million Dollar Baby.

Edit: Of course, a better solution now occurs to me.
Anthony Hopkins.

1. Burt Munro in The World's Fastest Indian.
2. James Stevens in Remains of the Day.
3. No idea.

Edit edit: still wrong, according to rabscuttle's post below.

[Last edited by jemann at 06-23-2007 03:22 AM]
06-23-2007 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
no, not Clint Eastwood.

a unhelpful clue:
Two of the roles are from TV shows, one is from movies.
06-23-2007 at 03:20 AM
Page 1 of 14
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Char-Actors (A game of actor association)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com