Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : bummed
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
squeekie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 140
IP: Logged
icon bummed (0)  
I had one room left in level 23. I hit the F6 key to watch a replay of the last completed room and 5 rooms now show that I haven't done them. I'm kinda' pissed, but what the hell....

11-06-2003 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: bummed (0)  
Can you explain what happened a little better? So, you were in a room...on the little mini-map in the bottom left corner you could see that the rooms around you were white, right? And then you hit F6...and then when you finished watching your demos the rooms were suddenly red? Or did you notice the rooms becoming red some other way? In order for the programmers to find and fix the problem it would help to have as much information as possible, as well as you can remember it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-06-2003 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
squeekie
I had just left the last room with the exit stairs 231S and saw the blue gate. I went to the mini map and saw that I only had 1 room to go-room 1N1W. I finished the room and exited the room.I didn't see the EXIT LEVEL screen so I went back into 1N1W and was going to re-exit, hopeing to see the EXIT screen. Because it was such a joy to win the room I hit F6 to watch the replay. It booted to the desktop and when I restarted DROD it started me 5 rooms back. Only have 1 more room to finish to return to prior statis- I have redone 4 rooms.

11-06-2003 at 03:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Ah, that's what happened...when you dropped to desktop you lost the progress you had made since the last time you had started the game up. Be glad you didn't lose more. That was an important detail!

DROD doesn't crash often, very rarely in fact, but if you are really worried about losing your progress then after you beat a hard room quit the game so it will save it more permanently.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-06-2003 at 05:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Yikes, that's awful! I have no idea what is causing the crash, but in the meantime I'll minimize the effect by having it save out all progress made to disk whenever hitting F6 to change to the demo manager (in short, anytime you go to a different screen). That'll be in the next patch.

[Edited by mrimer on 11-06-2003 at 06:14 AM GMT]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-06-2003 at 06:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
I have had desktop crashes in 1.5 but never yet in 1.6. Which version were you using was it the AE version or the one before?

Edit I always wondered why drod didn't save when you beat a room that would seem to be the logical time to do a save.

[Edited by Scott on 11-06-2003 at 06:55 AM GMT]
11-06-2003 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
squeekie
I am playing V1.5. I played the 5 rooms over in 3 hours and am in the Neatherville now. Thanks to all.

11-06-2003 at 05:24 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
You know, speaking as a developer (not of this game), you really, really, shouldn't post bug reports for old versions without specifying what version you are using. Not only is that a bit pointless (advice people will give you will be by default for the newest version, which probably won't help you), but you'll be diverting developer's attention from real problems into a wild goose chase for bugs that were probably already solved.

And doing what you did has bad long term effects too - if the developers start seeing that people are reporting 1.5 errors a lot without clearly marking them as such, they'll have to start questioning the source of each bug that's reported. So that'll slow down bug response times.

11-06-2003 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
squeekie
Sorry for the curve ball, but speaking only as a game player I wasn't aware of or thinking of this being only on bugs within the newer version. I didn't think too many people had reached level 24 in the newer version. I tried the 1.6 but it started me back at level 1, so I went back to 1.5. If it means anything, after quitting DROD 2 notepad files appear on the desktop briefly. I printed one out:

Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

Back to Neatherville.

11-06-2003 at 07:43 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Oh, I'm sure that the dev team wants to hear about 1.5 bugs - but they should know what you are talking about; and developers always have the latest version in mind - and you can't expect people to stop and do the math of how long it's been and how long the average person takes to reach level 23 (especially since you should be able to import a 1.5 savefile into 1.6 - I don't know why that didn't work for you).

It's a very natural thing for people to think of the game as the thing on their computer, and not keep in mind that other versions are available - but that works both ways, and the thing that a developer thinks of first when he thinks "DROD" isn't 1.5. Besides, it's always better to give more info than less.

11-06-2003 at 08:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
squeekie posted on the general board asking how to update and I tried to help him. I think the problem was when he installed the new version he had moved all the old DROD files into another directory as a backup, so the new installation didn't know where to look for the files. If he had copied them and installed over the old folder I think it would have worked fine. Or he could have left his original DROD in its original location and installed 1.6 into a different folder, and everything should have worked out fine too, of course. He decided just to keep with 1.5 until he beat it, and then convert so he could play the user-made holds (I hope!). That's all I know.

Game on,

11-06-2003 at 08:33 PM
squeekie
That's the plan, Oneiromancer. I'm having enough fun with 2 rooms in 24 complete on V.1.5. Then I'll Do it all again.

11-07-2003 at 12:28 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
squeekie wrote:
That's the plan, Oneiromancer. I'm having enough fun with 2 rooms in 24 complete on V.1.5. Then I'll Do it all again.
There's no need to re-do Dugan's Dungeon it unless you want to. If your DROD data is in the original location as when you first installed it, DROD 1.6 will automatically update itself, taking your data, saved games, progress and player over to Architects' Edition for you.

11-07-2003 at 12:43 AM
squeekie
What I did was to create a new folder C:/Program Files/ DROD2. I then went into C:/Program Files/DROD and copied all and pasted into the new folder, essentially creating a mirror or backup. I then installed the 1.6 setup. It never asked me if I wanted to transfer anything. I started up DROD and there was the Dungen. I then deleted everything in the DROD folder and copied and pasted all from DROD2 back into DROD and all is well.

11-07-2003 at 04:28 AM
Oneiromancer
It would ask you to import the files when you run the new DROD for the first time, not during the installation process. Hmmm. This is very odd. Well, just try again once you beat the game.

Game on,

11-07-2003 at 05:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : bummed
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com