Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Story of Beethro
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon The Story of Beethro (0)  
I just noticed that, in the story, it says that Beethro exclaims "Those cockroaches are as big as I am!" when he sees the dungeon, but earlier on he said,

"I am a trained professional from a long line of dungeon exterminators. I combine five generations of passed-down knowledge with the most state-of-the-art equipment to offer efficient extermination service at an affordable price."

But the first phrase seems to say that he had never seen dungeon roaches before. According to the Level Descriptions, the only monster Beethro hadn't seen before was tar.

Was this an error, or was it intentional for some other deeper meaning?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-05-2003 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: The Story of Beethro (0)  
My guess - he saw roaches before, and many big roaches - but never quite as big as the DROD ones. Roaches 80% as large as Beethro are probably a whole lot more common than the 100% as large ones - but they're still both roaches.

11-05-2003 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: The Story of Beethro (0)  
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
I just noticed that, in the story, it says that Beethro exclaims "Those cockroaches are as big as I am!" when he sees the dungeon, but earlier on he said,

"I am a trained professional from a long line of dungeon exterminators. I combine five generations of passed-down knowledge with the most state-of-the-art equipment to offer efficient extermination service at an affordable price."

But the first phrase seems to say that he had never seen dungeon roaches before. According to the Level Descriptions, the only monster Beethro hadn't seen before was tar.

Was this an error, or was it intentional for some other deeper meaning?
Yes, like Eytan says.

Beethro had, of course, seen plenty of dungeon roaches in his career, but these roaches were particularly big. Roaches only grow this large after a few years. Seeing several big roaches, Beethro deduced that it had been a very long time since the dungeon had any sort of extermination. So at that point he predicted a large-scale infestation, and was irritated that he couldn't fix his contract to pay for the extra work. Believe me, he wasn't scared of some dumb roachies. This is the Mighty Smitemaster we're talking about!

(Okay, I'm retroactively fixing my mistakes here.) :evilmad:

-Erik

11-05-2003 at 07:42 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Story of Beethro
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com