Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Webfoot DROD Music Help!!!!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
IP: Logged
icon Webfoot DROD Music Help!!!! (0)  
I just finished getting webfoot drod but the music sounds terrible! I always remembered the music being higher quality. but i was experimenting with the different sound cards there and there were these three:

SB AWE
GUS
SB 16,Other

is it just that my sound card just sucks suddenly or that it needs adjustments... please help ASAP. Thanks
11-02-2003 at 06:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Webfoot DROD Music Help!!!! (0)  
Stuwy wrote:
is it just that my sound card just sucks suddenly or that it needs adjustments... please help ASAP. Thanks
They're MIDI files, so if you change computers/sound cards, you will find that how it sounds will change dramatically from how you used to hear it. It's mainly because the instruments in the sound card differ between computers. I don't think that you can do anything to improve the MIDI files, but if you want, I, or someone else with a good sound card could record the music to a .wav/.mp3/.ogg or other audio stream file and send it to you somehow.

11-02-2003 at 12:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Did you get the music straight from Webfoot?

If so, I suggest you download the cleaned-up Webfoot music on the Download Extras page for Caravel. Inside the zip file there's a datafile you can use - copy the music section and paste it where the music section currently is in Caravel DROD's dat file.

It works quite well. Well, at least it worked well here.

Matt

11-02-2003 at 12:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Mattcrampy wrote:
If so, I suggest you download the cleaned-up Webfoot music on the Download Extras page for Caravel. Inside the zip file there's a datafile you can use - copy the music section and paste it where the music section currently is in Caravel DROD's dat file.

It works quite well. Well, at least it worked well here.
I've had a look at the files. The first thing I noted is that the music files are small - the largest is 70KB, so they still look to me to be sequencing files, not stream files. It means that although they might sound good on your computer, it may still not sound good on other computers as the instruments may be different.

The second problem is that they are .mi_ files in the .zip file, and they appear to be corrupted when I try to play them, even when I tried to change the extension to .mid.

11-02-2003 at 01:20 PM
Mattcrampy
Aah...

I noticed they don't work when trying to play them outside of DROD. Perhaps I should have mentioned that. I'm not sure exactly how they're arranged, though, as being at least a cousin of midis they're quite liely to sould crap with a poor sound card.

We could always get Lars to put together an mp3 version, or at the very least hold a microphone up to the speaker or something overly complicated (and hence fun) like that.

Matt

11-02-2003 at 01:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
well the music that I downloaded from the downloads sounds 50X better than the webfoots. thanks guys!
11-02-2003 at 04:07 PM
Mattcrampy
Glad to hear it worked out okay.

Matt

11-02-2003 at 06:00 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Webfoot DROD Music Help!!!!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com