Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How and when did you find DROD?
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged
icon How and when did you find DROD? (0)  
I guess the title says it all.

I found DROD about a year ago at The Underdogs when it was still Webfoot. I\'ve been hooked ever since.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
03-19-2003 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: How and when did you find DROD? (0)  
I found it a little earlier...maybe 2 years ago? It was, as well, at Underdogs. Hooked since, save for about 7 mos. when I was stuck on L23 1N

03-20-2003 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
I also found it in its webfoot version at Underdogs. I think I even downloaded and installed it a couple times before it finally dawned on me that it was a great game. That was last summer when it finally caught on for me, during which I found drod.net and found out that a new version was coming out. I\'ve now played both to completion.

03-20-2003 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Same for me, theunderdogs.net. Must\'ve been a year or two ago now I forget. I always saw people talking about this DROD and wondered what it was and finally downloaded it, loved it since then!
03-20-2003 at 08:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
levelthirteen
Rank Points: 109
I found it mentioned in a slashdot thread on snood a few months ago(date posted: 01/14/2003, and have since gone through level 25. Gah! 250 hours playing DROD!

03-20-2003 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Re: How and when did you find DROD? (0)  
levelthirteen wrote:
I found it mentioned in a slashdot thread on snood a few months ago(date posted: 01/14/2003, and have since gone through level 25. Gah! 250 hours playing DROD!
Cool - I was the one who mentioned it on slashdot :). Someone mentioned that Snood was just a rehash of a game that\'s been done a million times, so I thought I\'d mention a more original open-source game.

I heard DROD mentioned on some other forum - I can\'t remember which one - in an off-topic post about fun free games. I don\'t remember exactly when it was, but it was definitely Caravel DROD by then - I never played the original.

03-20-2003 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
OK, seems like I am the longest playing resident so far at 6 years. Well, kind of 6 years.

I got the demo of Webfoot DROD (levels 1-3) in a shareware compilation CD at the tender age of 10. It was the first game I had on my new Windows machine with a CD-ROM drive!!! :-O

I completed it in about 3 months but didn\'t order the registered version because there was no UK price. I found the game again about a year and a half ago and found drod.net, then the full version on Underdogs.

So I wonder just how many people forked out the whatever it was for the retail version? Not many here, by the looks of it. Oh well. Their loss.

[Edited by krammer on 03-20-2003 at 07:28 PM GMT]

"Oook!"
03-20-2003 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
krammer wrote:
OK, seems like I am the longest playing resident so far at 6 years. Well, kind of 6 years.
That\'s pretty far back. Game was released in \'97, so unless you are me or Lucas Swineford or one of the alpha testers, that\'s as early as can be.
I got the demo of Webfoot DROD (levels 1-3) in a shareware compilation CD at the tender age of 10. It was the first game I had on my new Windows machine with a CD-ROM drive!!! :-O
From the nostalgia vault:
[siteimage]COVER.jpg[/siteimage]
This is the artwork that was to go inside the jewel case for a CD version of DROD. The right hand side and emptyish lower righthand corner are where product features and other marketing text would go. Alas, it never happened.

-Erik

03-20-2003 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Ohhhh....sniff...sniff.
This brings back so many old memories - \'tis a small story of discovery, forgetting, and finding.

I found my first copy on a compilation CD: \"Smash 100 Games\" about 6 or 7 years ago (when I was around 8 or 9) with a three level demo and lots of intriguing adverts on the features of the full registered version (Does anyone remember the one entitled \"Get Smart, or Get Dead\" - it was one of my favorites). Intriguingly, I completed the game, and wanted lots more, but never went as far as buying it, so my DROD interest faded....
For two long years I never even remembered it, until one day, a small tug at the memory and a desire to play the game made me find the CD and try it again. The effect of it was rather large - I became instantly and very addicted to it and forced myself to completely finish it in one evening. This time, however, I was determined to find myself a full version and so found a download of it on \'The Underdogs\' website.
And, from there, the rest just came naturally - I became a DROD fan!

03-20-2003 at 08:26 PM
krammer
agaricus5 wrote:
I found my first copy on a compilation CD: \"Smash 100 Games\" about 6 or 7 years ago (when I was around 8 or 9) with a three level demo and lots of intriguing adverts on the features of the full registered version (Does anyone remember the one entitled \"Get Smart, or Get Dead\" - it was one of my favorites).

The Smash 100 CD was the one I got as well!! I still have it as a matter of fact... There were some cool games on there. Although DROD was the best. :)

And yes I do remember the adverts. I also liked the \"stale coffee\" thing you got when you completed the demo. (If you played it you\'ll know what I mean). Pity it was taken out of Caravel DROD.

Seems like agaricus5 found it exactly as I did. Is this just coincidence?

[Edited by krammer on 03-20-2003 at 09:00 PM GMT]

"Oook!"
03-20-2003 at 08:58 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
How strange....but I think it is a cool coincidence that we both found DROD in the same way.

krammer wrote:

And yes I do remember the adverts. I also liked the \"stale coffee\" thing you got when you completed the demo. (If you played it you\'ll know what I mean). Pity it was taken out of Caravel DROD.

Ah well, I suppose you do have the leaf juice, though as you say, a few pictures to go with the level introductions would have been nice.

[Edited by agaricus5 on 03-20-2003 at 11:47 PM GMT]

03-20-2003 at 11:46 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I found DROD on the Underdogs just over a year ago. I was looking for a really cool dungeon/maze/puzzle game to play. DROD seemed to have just about the highest ranking of any game on the site at the time, so I said, \"Hey, can\'t get much closer to the mark than that.\" I\'m glad I got it. The rest is history!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-21-2003 at 05:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I found DROD in Novemeber last year (2002). To be honest I can\'t rememeber where I found it. Some days I just go looking for puzzle games and jump links and somehow I ended up at drod.net.
03-21-2003 at 08:28 AM
Terrafire
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
Underdogs
:)
(edited the bit about the website)
(edited since I by mistake quoted myself)

[Edited by Terrafire on 03-21-2003 at 07:06 AM GMT]

03-21-2003 at 12:05 PM
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
Ya, I first found it on Gamehippo.com but I wasn\'t really interested. Just a couple of days ago something triggered a memory of it, so I searched DROD on google and Drod.net came up. Downloaded it and got instantly hooked
04-23-2003 at 01:59 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Hmm... I guess I missed this when it first came out.

Underdogs - about 3-4 years ago, I don\'t remember exactly.

04-24-2003 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beethro's Sword
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Found the demo on shareware and my dad got it for me in 1999. Then found caravel and webfoot and play both.
04-25-2003 at 11:06 PM
Réchèr
icon How and when did you find DROD? (0)  
My story is quite the same as agaricus5, I found a shareware version of Webfoot Drod in a magazine called "Joystick", it was some years ago. I completed it and forgot it. And this year, while I was wandering the web for puzzle/reflexion games, I found Caravel Drod on the underdogs and I remembered everything.
Now it has been several weeks I am playing, I am on the level twenty-two with all these mimics. I am not stucked, but this one takes a little time.

04-26-2003 at 10:20 PM
krammer
Zmann wrote:
Ya, I first found it on Gamehippo.com but I wasn't really interested.
You know, I've been thinking for ages "why hasn't DROD been submitted to Gamehippo?" Now I find it has, but as D.R.O.D., not DROD. Don't I feel stupid.

"Oook!"
04-29-2003 at 10:41 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
I found the shareware Webfoot version nearly four years ago at an after-school program I was going to at the time. That is also where I met a friend of mine who was also into DROD. He is the forum member with the screen name "Bloodee monkee." :D

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-30-2003 at 05:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Like most people, Underdogs. However, I started with Caravel, not Webfoot.

Go The Underdogs.

Matt

10-01-2003 at 12:01 PM
martink
I registered the Webfoot DROD when it was first released after finding the demo. This was at a time when there were still bugs in a couple of rooms. I seem to remember the maze being one of them, but I don't always trust my failing memory these days.

I wonder if I am the oldest DROD player? I was 47 when I first played it through, and I still hate that damn tar, I used to have nightmares about it!

And the reason I'm here now? I just found Erik's email address in an old email client and decided to see what he was up to these days. A quick Google led here, so I guess it's back to sleepless nights again. :D
10-02-2003 at 03:15 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
martink wrote:
I wonder if I am the oldest DROD player? I was 47 when I first played it through, and I still hate that damn tar, I used to have nightmares about it!
Man, that's old. I can't even imagine... No, I don't even want to think about it. You're just too old! :) Seriously, there is at least one DROD player older than you, so you won't go home with any awards. Squeakie is 53.
And the reason I'm here now? I just found Erik's email address in an old email client and decided to see what he was up to these days. A quick Google led here, so I guess it's back to sleepless nights again. :D
Hey, is it Martin Kirlow from England? Glad you showed up, fella!

-Erik

10-02-2003 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martink
Hi Erik,

Yep, the very same Martin. It's been a long time! :) BTW, I was 47 when I *first* played DROD. :eyes
10-02-2003 at 04:25 PM
chickenhead
im not even sure how i found it first, but i think it may have been from a demo disk i bought at target. it was a long time ago, and was the demo for webfoot drod. i liked it, but wasnt very good at it then. i re-found it about 3 weeks ago.
10-03-2003 at 06:17 AM
bradwall
Rank Points: 423
A friend of mine (an great DROD player) named Chis (Captain Pirate) showed me the game... I was hooked right away.
10-03-2003 at 06:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
agaricus5 wrote:
Ohhhh....sniff...sniff.
This brings back so many old memories - 'tis a small story of discovery, forgetting, and finding.

I found my first copy on a compilation CD: "Smash 100 Games" about 6 or 7 years ago (when I was around 8 or 9) with a three level demo and lots of intriguing adverts on the features of the full registered version (Does anyone remember the one entitled "Get Smart, or Get Dead" - it was one of my favorites). Intriguingly, I completed the game, and wanted lots more, but never went as far as buying it, so my DROD interest faded....
For two long years I never even remembered it, until one day, a small tug at the memory and a desire to play the game made me find the CD and try it again. The effect of it was rather large - I became instantly and very addicted to it and forced myself to completely finish it in one evening. This time, however, I was determined to find myself a full version and so found a download of it on 'The Underdogs' website.
And, from there, the rest just came naturally - I became a DROD fan!

agaricus I remembering me getting that CD around 5 years ago for christmas! I was playing around with the CD until I found a lonely little folder at the bottom of the page titled "Webfoot". I loved that game and I was playing it soo long (I remember level 2 being so hard) unfortunately one game screwed up my comp really bad and I "smashed" it (get it? "100 SMASH game collection".... no laugh?) and gave it away. later on I discovered theunderdogs.org site and continued from level 2..
11-09-2003 at 07:41 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Someone (Oneiromancer ?) mentioned in on Demise forum, saying that it's very cool puzzle game.

Demise is (they say very addictive) old-school dungeon-crawling RPG game, with nice 3D graphics, very good sound, hundreds of distinctive monsters and much more. Demo can be downloaded for free, full version costs several bucks.

http://www.pharaoh-productions.com/demise/intro.php

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
11-23-2003 at 03:39 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Yes, it was me who suggested it on the forum for Demise. Glad to see you come in and check it out! Excellent...world domination through Demise and DROD... :devil

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-23-2003 at 07:00 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
My story is exactly the same as agaricus5's!

- except it was a five-year interval.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-23-2003 at 11:23 PM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How and when did you find DROD?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com