Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : I had an idea for a replacement for level ranks (Not mod points, but maybe this would tone it down a bit.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon I had an idea for a replacement for level ranks (+2)  
I had an idea, instead of having rank points controlling the "level" you are, have a new option in your profile to create what ever level you want! Then have the mod and rank point system used just for karma on individual posts, and hide the rank point number on the user profile for those who are interested to see. I know this doesn't exactly help with the problems we are currently having, but I thought it was a good idea nonetheless.

Thoughts?
06-05-2007 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
icon Re: I had an idea for a replacement for level ranks (0)  
Poor Michthro...

06-05-2007 at 07:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Ezlo's idea sounds a lot like what I've been thinking.

I would also like it if everybodys modpoints at the begining of a new week was set to some agreed upon number (maybe ten). In this way you wouldn't be able to hoard mod points, and everybody would have the power to say they like a certain post (particulary I think it might be a good feeling for newcommers wha asks for hints to label the post that helped them as good. As it is now that is not possible).

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 06-05-2007 07:56 AM]
06-05-2007 at 07:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Blondbeard wrote:

I would also like it if everybodys modpoints at the begining of a new week was set to some agreed upon number (maybe ten). In this way you wouldn't be able to hoard mod points, and everybody would have the power to say they like a certain post (particulary I think it might be a good feeling for newcommers wha asks for hints to label the post that helped them as good. As it is now that is not possible).
That's assuming, of course, that all newcomers have good intentions. And even then, their criteria would most likely be lacking (we don't want to turn into another digg here *shudder*).
06-05-2007 at 08:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
I think you are over estimating the role of mod points, NiroZ. I don't think that mod points is what identifies the DROD forum, but it sounds as if you do. You probably don't, but that is what it sounded like.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 06-05-2007 09:49 AM]
06-05-2007 at 08:13 AM
NiroZ
I'm not exactly sure how you got to that conclusion. As a tool, I don't think that Modpoints would be as effective if what you suggested was enabled.
06-05-2007 at 09:22 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: I had an idea for a replacement for level ranks (+1)  
I'll restate here what I've said elsewhere: I can't help feeling that any fix such as the ones suggested here are like surgery for a stubbed toe (or maybe even a sprained ankle).
06-05-2007 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: I had an idea for a replacement for level ranks (+2)  
Blondbeard wrote:

I disagree. It's not that good as it sounds if anyone has the same amount of mod points. It's just fair that the amount of mod-points you have is proportional to the amount of good posts/things you contribute to the community. Also, what would be the point of winning let's say 50 mod points? If you don't use them as fast as you can they're gone.

The problem is not the modding-system, it's the way some people use it. And even if we decided to use a new system people would find a way to abuse it or would get annoyed by it. The modding system is intended as a way of saying "I like your post" or "I don't like your post" without making a post and to prevent people flooding the place in order to get a high post-count. Reasons for moddings are good/bad contents, good/bad format, good/bad attatchments, good/inapropriate jokes, etc. Now if a few people aren't mature enough to use the system in a senseful way, why should we make such a fuss about it? Would Microsoft withdraw every copy of Windows because a few people are making stupid things with it or abuse some of the included tools (fdisk for example)?

The only suggestion I could agree on is to set a limit how high a single post can be modded (+/- 5 for example). A suggestion of myself is just to calm down and reflect a little bit on the whole situation. Is it really THAT horrible? I guess the answer is no.
06-05-2007 at 12:05 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Blondbeard wrote:

If that happens, then you'd also have to take away the ability to downmod. A system that allows anyone to reward other anyone, regardless of whether the rewarder themselves has shown that they are not interested in causing trouble, is one thing. A system that allows anyone to punish other people as much as they want is totally different.

06-05-2007 at 01:43 PM
Ezlo
My idea wasn't about mod points, it was about the separation of mod points and rank levels. I think that the mod system should be left as is, but just as a "this post is great/good/bad" as apposed to "this is a fine post, you're a good guy, let me boost your ranking by a point or two" If we make them less important, than less people will care, less people will argue.
06-05-2007 at 06:03 PM
Tahnan
Wait, hold on. The mod system is tied into rank points? No, seriously: I've always used the mod system as a way of rating posts. Why would I use it to rate people?
06-05-2007 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...uh, yeah, Tahnan, when you mod posts up, they get one rank point. What did you /think/ rank points were based off?
06-05-2007 at 08:08 PM
noma
Rank Points: 1594
Tahnan wrote:
Wait, hold on. The mod system is tied into rank points? No, seriously: I've always used the mod system as a way of rating posts. Why would I use it to rate people?
Banjooie, Tahnan knows perfectly well mod points increase/decrease rank. (Note the "no, seriously".) What I got from that post was that he mods based solely on the quality of the post, not the person.

[Last edited by noma at 06-06-2007 12:13 AM]
06-05-2007 at 09:23 PM
Tahnan
Well, kind of. I guess at some level I did know that post modding was tied into rank points. It's just that I've practically never thought to myself, "That was a good post: you should have a rank point"; I think, "That was a good post: it should have a +1 on it." I also almost never look at anyone's rank points, or for that matter their title, except occasionally to see how new someone is (and even then I usually just check the registration date).

Am I alone in this? Are people really looking at, and thinking about, their rank points? I genuinely couldn't even give you a ballpark figure on how many I have. I think it's in the hundreds. 300ish, maybe?

[Just checked. 732, as of the time of this writing. I guess that tells you how much I notice.]
06-05-2007 at 11:25 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I, for one, give a huge damn about rank/mod points. Without them I have no idea how good a person I am. If I tell a joke and don't see a +1, then I become sad.

Or as I tell most people:
"There is no better indication of how much you're worth in life than by the number on the left"

06-06-2007 at 12:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Syntax wrote:
"There is no better indication of how much you're worth in life than by the number on the left"
Exactly - with a rank point HUD, real life would be complete for me... O:-

np: Von Südenfed - The Young The Faceless And The Codes (Tromatic Reflexxions)

06-06-2007 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
But Briareos...who would the mods be?

06-06-2007 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: I had an idea for a replacement for level ranks (+2)  
:D

Damn right! Surely that number over-rides every rl accomplishment. You may perhaps save a life (for example), but without that +1 I'd think that maybe it wasn't worth the hassle.

Let's all just get a grip. I've mentioned it before but there's this great game called DROD or something, so why not just play that instead of bickering? Nothing's wrong with this forum.

I even got computer-phobic girls interested so it's worth a look.
06-06-2007 at 01:40 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Syntax wrote:
There's this great game called DROD or something, so why not just play that instead of bickering?
Great idea! :D It's an awesome game!

Whatever do you mean by that? :huh
06-06-2007 at 02:02 AM
Ezlo
Okay, even if it isn't necessary, I think it's a neat idea. Anyone agree?
06-06-2007 at 02:22 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I give Ezlo's idea a giant "Meh."

06-06-2007 at 02:25 AM
Blondbeard
Meh! If you have a very un-important number, it seems a bit silly to print it next to your name, because that will probably lead some part of the comunity to believe that the numbers actually are important. That the number by your name gives you respect. Yes, that is childish, but on the other hand: Childishness isn't unheard of among human beings. It seems as if the main reason people here can see for keeping the rank points by your name is that they claim to not be interested in the number.

Well... Meh! Personally I don't care greatly, but I just don't see what's wrong with discussing the issue :)

Oh, and I don't intend to harm anyone by posting ideas. I realize that I might be mildly irritating, and I apologize if that is the case ;)
06-06-2007 at 09:02 AM
NiroZ
Blondbeard wrote:
It seems as if the main reason people here can see for keeping the rank points by your name is that they claim to not be interested in the number.
I know it isn't supposed to make sense, but I can't see where your logic is coming from.
Well... Meh! Personally I don't care greatly, but I just don't see what's wrong with discussing the issue :)
I thought we were discussing an idea, not an issue.
Oh, and I don't intend to harm anyone by posting ideas. I realize that I might be mildly irritating, and I apologize if that is the case ;)
You do come across as a bit... hmm, I think strong is the best word. But that's just me, and bear in mind that I've got not idea how I come across either. :)

As for Ezlo's idea;

I think that the idea of custom set names for each 'level' is a bad idea, as what is there to stop the user from applying 'Uber awesomeness' to each tier?

The ability to customise the text above your avatar gets a meh;

And the idea to remove the rankpoint count, and just leave the text over the avatar to signify your status is ok... but I think the issue people take with moddowns is more psychological than just the loss of a point.
06-06-2007 at 09:24 AM
Blondbeard
Sigh! There must be something seriously lacking in my skills to comunicate. There's no real reason I should come across... strong, since I don't feel strongly about this. Meh! I'll be quiet now.

06-06-2007 at 10:15 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Syntax wrote:
Whatever do you mean by that? :huh
I guess (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that this refers to a certain someone called "VodkaAndCoke" here who currently holds the 20th place on the high-score list and happens to be his girlfriend...

Then again, he said "girls", so there could be even more to it... ;)

(Or, of course, I could yet again be reading waaay too much into this... stay tuned to find out... :lol)

[Last edited by Briareos at 06-06-2007 12:58 PM]
06-06-2007 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
You dog, you!

I think the scarcity of modpoints is an important part of the system: only people that earn them can give them out, and they're hard to get so it's important not to waste them.

I would not mind some form of modpoint decay to make it more important to use them now, but let's not muck up the delicate balance any further than that.

06-07-2007 at 07:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : I had an idea for a replacement for level ranks (Not mod points, but maybe this would tone it down a bit.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com