Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Copyright question
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
IP: Logged
icon Copyright question (0)  
Erik said we can use DROD 3 original graphics for our holds without distributing them. I was thinking : can we use TCB portraits, like
Click here to view the secret text
or Infohut Guy freely? Or they're copyrighted?

05-26-2007 at 10:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
icon Re: Copyright question (+1)  
Well, what I think is that they're supposed to be specific characters created just for the storyline of TCB. So I don't think they'd distribute them freely, or use them again, unless they wanted to make another canon hold with them. :)
05-26-2007 at 10:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Copyright question (0)  
vittro wrote:
Erik said we can use DROD 3 original graphics for our holds without distributing them. I was thinking : can we use TCB portraits, like [...] or Infohut Guy freely? Or they're copyrighted?
Well, since everything is automatically copyrighted as soon as it's published I'd answer the second question with a resounding "YES!".

For the first you probably should ask Erik. I just wonder how your hold is going to work "without distribution"?

np: Anders Ilar - Ludwijka 9 (Ludwijka Extended Visit)

05-26-2007 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Copyright question (+1)  
All the artwork in TCB is copyrighted, and we don't want it distributed without permission. When you make a hold that includes a character in the game, that character's face is going to pop up in the portrait area automatically when somebody is playing your hold. In this case, you are not distributing the portrait art for the character. It just happens that something that your hold does will make the game display that face. An image of that face isn't stored in your hold, so you aren't distributing it.

If the game doesn't let you show a certain character, then that means we put the character in a private area of the official hold. It's a way of reserving the character and his artwork just for our hold. You can do the same thing with your own artwork that you come up with: put the art inside of your hold. When you put the artwork inside of your hold and then post the hold on the forum, then you are distributing both your hold and the artwork.

But we don't want you to do something like take a screenshot of King Dugan and put the image of him in your hold. If this seems confusing, then when you are creating holds, you can consider that the DROD editor won't let you create anything that would be illegal to distribute without permission except if:

* You make a copy of someone else's hold.
* You import an image or sound file into the hold that you didn't create.
* You put text into a scroll or character script that was written by somebody else.

-Erik

06-05-2007 at 09:20 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Copyright question
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com