Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Some problems with my computer (My DVD-drive to be exact)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
IP: Logged
icon Some problems with my computer (0)  
You see, I use a laptop, not a desktop. And this laptop(it seems) was originally created without a CD/DVD-drive. That's why it believes that my DVD-Drive is a removable one, just like you would remove, say, an USB-stick. That means that the DVD-drive is in the list of removable hardware. Half an hour ago I wanted to remove an USB-stick from my computer and accidentaly deactivated my DVD-drive. I know USB-sticks reactivate when you re-attach them to the computer, however I would not like to re-attack my drive, as that would mean detaching it in the first place = not good.

So, boys and girls, any idea how this could be repaired?
05-17-2007 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Some problems with my computer (+1)  
Dex Stewart wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure rebooting (or at least powering off your laptop then turning it on again) will solve the problem.

If you don't want to reboot - what happens if you go to Device Manager and choose "Scan for hardware changes"? That doesn't work for an USB stick, but it might just work for ATA devices...

I had a similar "problem" that the IDE drivers for my nVidia mainboard reported my internal SATA hard drives as being "safely removeable" (which of course didn't work for my boot drive), but there you could disable that by adding a registry key - but I guess that won't work since it's a feature of nVidia's chipset drivers...

05-17-2007 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Some problems with my computer (0)  
Briareos wrote:
Dex Stewart wrote:
Well, I'm pretty sure rebooting (or at least powering off your laptop then turning it on again) will solve the problem.

If you don't want to reboot - what happens if you go to Device Manager and choose "Scan for hardware changes"? That doesn't work for an USB stick, but it might just work for ATA devices...

I had a similar "problem" that the IDE drivers for my nVidia mainboard reported my internal SATA hard drives as being "safely removeable" (which of course didn't work for my boot drive), but there you could disable that by adding a registry key - but I guess that won't work since it's a feature of nVidia's chipset drivers...
I'm an absolute idiot... I did the scan, but didn't even think that rebooting might help. Thanks a lot.

BTW congrats on breaking the 1500 :P
05-17-2007 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Some problems with my computer (0)  
Dex Stewart wrote:
I'm an absolute idiot... I did the scan, but didn't even think that rebooting might help. Thanks a lot.
Hey, it worked, so why knock yourself out over it? ;)

BTW congrats on breaking the 1500 :P
Errr... I'm not exactly sure that number says much anymore after randomly getting posts modded into oblivion both up and down... :look

np: Mia Doi Todd - My Room Is White (Reminder Remix) (La Ninja: Amor And Other Dreams Of Manzanita)

05-17-2007 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Some problems with my computer (My DVD-drive to be exact)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com