Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Hacker:Evolution (Hacking sim)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
IP: Logged
icon Hacker:Evolution (0)  
http://www.hacker-evolution.com/
It's basically a hacking simulator. Probably only of interest to the technical-minded, but certainly fun.
There is a demo, offering the first scenario out of nine, and the full game is $24.95 (and the full version is being legally given away today at game.giveawayoftheday.com , where I originally found it No longer available) It is, however, very niche, but I'm sure some people here would enjoy it.

[Last edited by Pinnacle at 05-14-2007 01:25 AM]
05-12-2007 at 08:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Hacker:Evolution (0)  
Looks quite fun.. but before I consider downloading it, can somebody give me a brief summary of *why* the full version is legally available..
05-12-2007 at 08:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
05-12-2007 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
TripleM wrote:
Looks quite fun.. but before I consider downloading it, can somebody give me a brief summary of *why* the full version is legally available..

The guys at Game Giveaway Of The Day give a full game every day, as the name implies. They're usually not so good, but if this is like Uplink, then I definitely look forward to it playing. (:
05-12-2007 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IMO, it's better than Uplink (though very much in the same vein). H:E is much simpler, yet has a more involved plot. I'm not very far into the game yet, but already unexplained stuff has been going on that does a great job of pulling me in. As an added bonus, I understand what I'm doing, and feel like I am working around the problems, instead of just choosing the right mission to do next while following the e-mailed instructions. Admittedly, I never actually bought the full version of Uplink but y'know... whatever.

The one thing that bugs me is the lack of a persistent set of servers. Every time I start a new mission, I have to re-crack enough servers to bounce off of before I can actually do anything even remotely resembling an objective.
05-12-2007 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
This game obviously hasn't been tested properly. Not only does the official forum say this:

Hacker Evolution
the upcoming game from exosyphen studios

but I also had a lot of trouble with the tutorial, until I realised that you continue cracking a password even though you've been traced.

Now I have some problems again in the first mission(not counting the tutorial).

Click here to view the secret text

05-13-2007 at 03:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ravon
Type 'ls' (or 'dir' if you prefer) to see a list of files on the computer you are connected to. To download the file, type 'download connections.log' (or whatever else the file may be called). Also, some files may exist on some ports, but not others.
05-13-2007 at 05:28 PM
Dex Stewart
I tried all things you said. Even when I'm connected to port 80, the game still says "file connection.log is restricted to port 80" when I try to download it.
05-13-2007 at 10:08 PM
BDR
Rank Points: 106
Yeah, it's on the difficult side for sure, and the tutorial while nice doesn't walk you through as much as it could have, the optimizer in me is enjoying the challenge of both finding the fastest method to complete objectives and get as much money as possible. There are a couple things you ought to know, though, even if you plan to play normally; first, there's no penalty for stealing all the money you can find unless you get traced, and second, the global trace amount as well as the state of your computer is carried over from mission to mission (at least when the dynamic difficulty setting is on).

Whoops. That's what happens when you don't pay attention/actually read the text. Did you try scanning ny-exchange.com? I bet that 80's not the only port you can access, especially because, well.....

Although, port 80 does give you the names of two fairly useful sites.... if you look around. ;)

[Last edited by BDR at 05-13-2007 10:56 PM]
05-13-2007 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I have one question..

I've worked my way *nearly* through the first level several times, before running out of places to bounce at the very end. Thats usually because I bounce off everything I can everytime I do something that requires some bouncing.

And one of the times I end up with far too much time to spare.

So can somebody tell me how you can work out which places to bounce off to time everything right, without resorting to random trial and error, causing you to restart the whole level every time you get it wrong?
05-14-2007 at 05:23 AM
BDR
Rank Points: 106
There are two ways you can handle this problem with level 1, one easy but not something you're likely to pick up on on your own, and the second is something that you're more likely to try the first time but probably won't enjoy (really, they should have stressed conserving bounces in the tutorial):

[Last edited by BDR at 05-14-2007 07:29 AM]
05-14-2007 at 07:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Just discovered something... always transfer 1$ at a time if you want a highscore. As an example, you could get 32500 points for transfers in the tutorial only.
05-14-2007 at 08:07 PM
Ravon
TripleM wrote:
So can somebody tell me how you can work out which places to bounce off to time everything right, without resorting to random trial and error, causing you to restart the whole level every time you get it wrong?

05-14-2007 at 09:56 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Dex Stewart wrote:
Just discovered something... always transfer 1$ at a time if you want a highscore. As an example, you could get 32500 points for transfers in the tutorial only.
Lol, we h4x0r3d teh haxor gamez.

05-14-2007 at 11:46 PM
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
Passed the game. I was disappointed that buying NNA is impossible. I have 3GHZ cpu, firewall-2, 9Gb ram and $17500 cash at the end.

So, is there user-made mods?
05-15-2007 at 11:05 AM
Dex Stewart
Well, the game still is *very* young, so I guess not. However, mods are bound to appear as it's so simple to make new ones(check out the official one to see what I mean).
05-15-2007 at 12:57 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Hacker:Evolution (Hacking sim)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com