Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Problems with Secret Rooms in TCB
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
IP: Logged
icon Problems with Secret Rooms in TCB (0)  
I got a small shock when the hold totals told me I found 25 secrets (72% conquered!). I hardly saw the "secret room" message five times while playing and I never bothered to do the secret rooms. I don't really understand this.
04-29-2007 at 06:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
icon Re: Problems with Secret Rooms in TCB (0)  
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
I got a small shock when the hold totals told me I found 25 secrets (72% conquered!). I hardly saw the "secret room" message five times while playing and I never bothered to do the secret rooms. I don't really understand this.
Maybe you didn't notice the message. TCB can be very distracting.
04-29-2007 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
Well... these secret rooms I "should have found/conquered" don't even show up in the Restore screen......
04-29-2007 at 06:53 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
It might be related to one of the known progress bugs, though I can't see how it could be the demo one because you probably weren't looking at demos for secrets you haven't found.

Did you try upgrading to 3.0.2? If you did and it didn't help, maybe try exporting your player and re-importing it? If that works, great. If not, you could send the exported player to Mike which will probably help him fix this.

04-29-2007 at 07:07 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Did you watch CaravelNet demos a lot?

The 3.0.0 version has a bug where it'll mark the secret rooms on the same level that were solved when a demo was made as solved on your side, even if you haven't paid them a visit yet.

np: Hug - Room Of Rum (Heroes)

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-29-2007 08:28 PM]
04-29-2007 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jmpava
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
I have what I assume is the same issue (TCB thinks - at least in restore screen - that I have all secrets completed when I'm pretty sure I've completed maybe 5 of them). I upgraded to 3.0.2, still there. I exported my player info out, then re-imported it. Still there, although I DID get about 1MB worth of lines in error.log during the import phase that all said:

Assertion error in line 348 of .\Db.cpp: "demoIndex.find(demoID) == demoIndex.end()"

Assertion error in line 349 of .\Db.cpp: "demosHoldIndex.find(demoID) == demosHoldIndex.end()"

And then during the TCB demo check phase I got another 6 lines that said: Assertion error in line 58 of .\DbDemos.cpp: "!"Bad demo ID."" followed by about 100 K or so of lines that said: Assertion error in line 466 of .\DbDemos.cpp: "!"SavedGameID is foreign key to nowhere."". Note that I also got those lines for some other rooms on demo check, but those all made entries in drod.log, which didn't happen for the TCB ones.

Anyway, after all that, restore screen still has me completing secrets that I know I looked at and then turned right around and walked out of without completing then. Anything else to try? O:-

(And yes, it's probably the demo's, I watch them more then I should :blush )

Edit: Actually it turns that either Rev2 ate my demo's (as described at http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=15530&page=2#182813) or all the errors I saw in the re-import made them go away - I have no idea on which caused the other. Which doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the original issue, but figured I'd mention it since I included the errors I got in the re-import here.

[Last edited by jmpava at 05-04-2007 06:56 AM]
05-04-2007 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
jmpava wrote:
I have what I assume is the same issue (TCB thinks - at least in restore screen - that I have all secrets completed when I'm pretty sure I've completed maybe 5 of them). I upgraded to 3.0.2, still there. I exported my player info out, then re-imported it. Still there...
Unfortunately, patching to 3.0.2 won't make this phantom progress go away. Sorry. I'll look into the demo errors everyone's getting, though.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-05-2007 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
OK, this isn't a problem with secret rooms in TCB, but:

When playtesting a hold via the F5 key in the editor, I get the error Assertion error in line 572 of .\DbDemos.cpp: "!"SavedGameID is foreign key to nowhere."", mentioned above, in my drod.err. Specifically, I got it 626 times (though the "hold" I was testing contained one level, two rooms, two level entrances, one NPC with two lines of scripting, a ceiling light, and nothing else). It appears not when playing, but when I hit "escape" to leave the playtesting.

No errors arise when I play/quit the hold normally, only in the editor.

I don't know (a) if that tells you anything about the error, or (b) whether there's any way for me to get it to stop...?
05-16-2007 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I was about to post a new topic for this, but since this topic is relevant, I'll add my findings. This bug has occurred to me as well, with the following rooms:
Click here to view the secret text

My history of TCB installations follows:

1. TCB Demo 3.0.0
2. Upgraded Demo to 3.0.2
3. Downgraded demo to 3.0.0
4. TCB Full 3.0.0

If you need a look at anything, let me know and I get get files uploaded for you.

06-23-2007 at 04:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
There was another topic on this issue, and we figured out that the problem was that when you watched a demo, any secret rooms that had been conquered in the demo would also become conquered in your game.
06-25-2007 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Tahnan wrote:
OK, this isn't a problem with secret rooms in TCB, but:

When playtesting a hold via the F5 key in the editor, I get the error Assertion error in line 572 of .\DbDemos.cpp: "!"SavedGameID is foreign key to nowhere."", mentioned above, in my drod.err. Specifically, I got it 626 times (though the "hold" I was testing contained one level, two rooms, two level entrances, one NPC with two lines of scripting, a ceiling light, and nothing else). It appears not when playing, but when I hit "escape" to leave the playtesting.

No errors arise when I play/quit the hold normally, only in the editor.

I don't know (a) if that tells you anything about the error, or (b) whether there's any way for me to get it to stop...?
This happens when you playtest any hold? I can't get this to occur with any holds I've playtested.

06-26-2007 at 04:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Ah crud. I'm pretty sure this was happening with 3.0.2, and I've long since reverted to 3.0.0, and--I think I just royally f---ed up my installation trying to run a saved 3.0.2 version. I don't think I'm going to be any help here.

EDIT: I'd like to note that no computer program in recent memory has pissed me off as 3.0.2r2, and that includes the adware that installed itself on my computer last year.

[Last edited by Tahnan at 06-26-2007 07:50 AM]
06-26-2007 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Tahnan wrote:
EDIT: I'd like to note that no computer program in recent memory has pissed me off as 3.0.2r2, and that includes the adware that installed itself on my computer last year.
Yikes! Well, yeah, I hear you. I've made some enhancements to the 3.0.2 upgrade process such as prompting the user before anything is done to their data files.

06-26-2007 at 04:50 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Problems with Secret Rooms in TCB
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com