Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Holding Vats : 1 South, 2 West (another boring tedious room on this level...)
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
IP: Logged
icon The City Beneath : Holding Vats : 1 South, 2 West (+1)  
Way to much boring hack and slash on this level. This is my last room, though. I think I know what to do, but can I just have a demo, please?

04-22-2007 at 08:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453

File: TCB Holding Vats 1S2W Victory.demo (7.1 KB)
Downloaded 183 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: The City Beneath : Holding Vats : 1 South, 2 West (+2)  
This is just one of those rooms where you have to grit your teeth and do.

The demo might not be too much help, but here you go!

If the demo's no help, here's the run down.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by tokyokid at 04-22-2007 08:49 PM]
04-22-2007 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: The City Beneath : Holding Vats : 1 South, 2 West (+1)  

04-22-2007 at 09:59 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: The City Beneath : Holding Vats : 1 South, 2 West (0)  
I did it slightly differently:

04-22-2007 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
I have a problem and not sure how to solve it. I have solved this room and most of the others. But, I came back to this room, which was solved, and found I could go N to another room to check it out. Then, after starting in the room without paying attention, I suddenly realized that I have to drop all the trap doors again. But, I can't get back to change the Blue to Red. Hence, I can't get out of the room unless I restore it to its original unsolved state WHICH, according to the notice ALL OTHER ROOMS WOULD THEN BE IN THEIR ORIGINAL UNSOLVED STATE.

I really don't want to have to solve all the rooms all over again. What can I do to leave this room as solved and not have to restore it to the original unsolved state?

I don't understand the message that says something about, " ... you can restore from a later game ... " or some such words.

HELP :w00t
09-09-2008 at 12:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
If you have already solved this room, there is no need to step onto the bridge again. Just walk around it.

If you're stuck on the bridge right now, just press the "R" key in the room to restart from where you entered. Don't go back to the menu and use the Restore function.

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 09-09-2008 12:53 AM]
09-09-2008 at 12:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Excellent :thumbsup

Didn't know about the R key.

Any wasn't paying attention to the room when I entered. Only saw the trapdoors to cross. The "way around" was totally missed. Man ... getting too old for this game :lol
09-09-2008 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
wiseoldman wrote:
Didn't know about the R key.
I didn't think getting this far without ever using the "R" key was possible, but you learn something new every day... ;)

Anyway, hitting "R" at any time will take you back to the previous checkpoint you stepped on (hit "R" repeatedly to get further back) or to the entrance you entered the room through if there is no previous checkpoint.

You can also hit "Alt-R" to get back to the entrance immediately.

(You do know about the undo key, right? :look)

09-09-2008 at 08:33 AM
wiseoldman
Undo Key ??????

Which one is that and what does it do? :blush
09-09-2008 at 10:34 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Hit the backspace key and travel in time back one move.
09-09-2008 at 11:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
NiroZ wrote:
Hit the backspace key and travel in time back one move.
It will only allow you to undo your last move, but it makes accidentally hitting the wrong key so much less of a problem...

09-09-2008 at 11:50 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Oof...no *wonder* you've been having such a tough time of some of these rooms. Though we had the hard-core play style back in AE days (and no checkpoints in Webfoot DROD days), I can't imagine playing through all of JtRH and TCB without undo. That would take some serious discipline. I salute you for your perseverance, wiseoldman!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-09-2008 06:04 PM]
09-09-2008 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Color me RED!!! :lol

I have been using the BackSpace key .... sorry about that ... guess another "senior moment" :look
09-09-2008 at 10:34 PM
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
Red? why not turquoise?
:band

09-09-2008 at 10:55 PM
AlternativePuzzles
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 30
mrimer wrote:
Oof...no *wonder* you've been having such a tough time of some of these rooms. Though we had the hard-core play style back in AE days (and no checkpoints in Webfoot DROD days), I can't imagine playing through all of JtRH and TCB without undo. That would take some serious discipline. I salute you for your perseverance, wiseoldman!
Actually, there was this one guy that I talked to that played through all of JtRH without undo. He said he didn't realize there was one, until he looked at the tutorial after he conquered the game.

Test out my hold currently in
architecture:
[url=http://forum.caravelgames.com/
viewtopic.php?TopicID=26578]Spike
Pit
09-10-2008 at 12:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
AlternativePuzzles wrote:
Actually, there was this one guy that I talked to that played through all of JtRH without undo. He said he didn't realize there was one, until he looked at the tutorial after he conquered the game.

Syntax did that for fun!

09-12-2008 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
zex20913 wrote:
AlternativePuzzles wrote:

Syntax did that for fun!

I did that. Not for fun. I genuinly didn't know about the undo key.
09-16-2008 at 09:53 PM
JLE
Rank Points: 46
I can see technically how the room is doable the hard way, as a big long slog. I just did it.

But what about the optional challenge - complete the room without dropping the bridge? It seems to me that there are two problems with it.

(1) This means you have to clear out all the tar and mud manually. BUT, the tar and mud mothers both expand into 2x3 spaces. Whether you toggle between tar and mud, *one* of them is going to grow into a tar shape you can't clear without dropping the bridge.

(2) You only get one chance to swap the tar and mud, and that's right at the beginning: so you can't clear out the mud and then swap the remaining tar to mud to get into whichever 3x2 area is blocked.

It looks more like it's a case of "mad dash through the area to get to the tar mother and kill her before she expands her tar into the danger area". But that leaves the problem of hundreds of tar and mud babies that one simply does not have time to get through: and even then there's no time to actually shape the tar so as to guarantee that it's all destroyable.

[Last edited by JLE at 09-25-2015 12:20 AM]
09-25-2015 at 12:20 AM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434

09-25-2015 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
JLE wrote:
It looks more like it's a case of "mad dash through the area to get to the tar mother and kill her before she expands her tar into the danger area". But that leaves the problem of hundreds of tar and mud babies that one simply does not have time to get through: and even then there's no time to actually shape the tar so as to guarantee that it's all destroyable.

You can prevent the tar from growing into its danger area without

09-25-2015 at 12:29 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386

File: TCB Holding Vats 1S2W Challenge completed.demo (15.6 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
License: Public Domain
schep wrote:
You can prevent the tar from growing into its danger area without

Would you mind posting a demo of this? Posting one myself!

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 09-25-2015 07:14 AM]
09-25-2015 at 07:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Rank Points: 115
I'm struggling with the challenge, and I'd rather not use the demo until absolutely needed. I'm able to get to prevent the tar from getting inside the corners which make the challenge impossible, but in doing so, I end up with a predicament.

The thing is, my method involves NOT switching the tar/mud (if I did so it'd take too long to be able to prevent the tar from making the challenge impossible), but that makes the tiny Tar glob at the very opening seemingly impossible to clear out altogether.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
02-12-2017 at 09:54 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591
I've always used the tar/mud switch when doing the challenge. Not sure offhand if it's possible without.

Of course, you will have to think about how to keep the NW blob from growing too far to its south.

02-13-2017 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Camwoodstock
Nuntar wrote:
I've always used the tar/mud switch when doing the challenge. Not sure offhand if it's possible without.

Of course, you will have to think about how to keep the NW blob from growing too far to its south.

Uhh, just HOW do I block them with tar babies?

02-13-2017 at 11:19 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434

02-13-2017 at 11:25 PM
Camwoodstock
Dragon Fogel wrote:

Okay, I can get it so I can trap them if...

02-14-2017 at 12:09 AM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4591
One tar baby is enough. If the NW blob grows two squares into the briar trap, you can still cut that later.

02-14-2017 at 11:50 AM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : The City Beneath : Holding Vats : 1 South, 2 West (another boring tedious room on this level...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com