Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Which tarstuff most troublesome to you (Which tarstuff do you think is the most troublesome?)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Which tarstuff do you think is the most troublesome?
Tar PollPollPoll 3 4.69%
Mud PollPollPoll 3 4.69%
Gel PollPollPoll 47 73.44%
All of them PollPollPoll 7 10.94%
None of them PollPollPoll 4 6.25%
Total Votes 68 100%
Poster Message
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
IP: Logged
icon Which tarstuff most troublesome to you (0)  
Well, I didn't see anything like this, and I thought, Hey, maybe it would be nice for a poll for the most difficult tarstuff, so here it is!

Tar : You think tar is the most difficult, because the edges always get you, and/or your reason.

Mud: You think mud is the most difficult, because in large blocks, they reproduce as fast as you cut them, and/or your reason.

Gel: You think gel is the hardest, because it's really difficult with a mother, because it's hard to go in diagonals to get a mother, and/or your reason.

All: You have a hard time with all of them, so it's hard to decide.

None: All of them are easy for you.
Have fun voting! Closes on 6-31-2007, 12:00 PM.

[Last edited by Monkey at 04-20-2007 11:09 PM]
04-20-2007 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Which tarstuff most troublesome to you (0)  
Gel is the hardest, because we haven't had enough time to get used to it yet ;)
04-20-2007 at 11:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Which tarstuff most troublesome to you (+2)  
I think gel is actually more difficult without a mother.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-20-2007 at 11:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Actually, it is said somewhere that gel is only tar turned 45 degrees.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-20-2007 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I agree with pretty much all of the above assessments of this poll. Gel is the hardest, because it's the newest. But it's also the most fun, for me.

04-20-2007 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Daneel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 35
TripleM wrote:
Gel is the hardest, because we haven't had enough time to get used to it yet ;)

I think it's more than just that. Basically all that you need to know about destroying tar and mud is contained in a simple invariant. As was discussed in another thread though, gel destroyability is an NP-Complete problem, so we can't even hope that there is such a simple solution.
04-20-2007 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
I was inclined to vote for gel alone, but after playing through a certain upcoming DROD 2.0-based hold sans gel as HA I just had to vote for "All of them"... :lol

np: Jel - All Day Breakfast (Soft Money)

04-20-2007 at 11:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Even if Gel was the first tar-stuff that DROD introduced, I'd still say that it's the hardest, unless you have adders.
04-21-2007 at 12:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Actually, it is said somewhere that gel is only tar turned 45 degrees.
Yeah, cute soundbite, but try this:

(a) Walk through narrow corridors in a field full of cuttable gel with your sword pointing diagonally. Then try it with your sword pointing N, S, E, or W. Note the difference.

(b) Walk through narrow corridors in a field full of tar with cuttable edges with your sword pointing N, S, E, or W. Then try it with your sword pointing diagonally. Note the lack of difference.

(c) Note the difference.
04-21-2007 at 01:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krissan
Rank Points: 89
I voted tar, simply because I haven't found gel rooms that are *that* hard yet. Then again, I haven't completed TCB, so I might regret my choice.

There are some tar rooms out there that are insanely hard. And for the record - anyone who ever thought "Hey, let's make a maze/trapdoor puzzle HIDDEN under this tar" needs to go to jail. Please do not spread this abonmination of DROD to gel.

04-21-2007 at 01:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Oneiromancer wrote:
I think gel is actually more difficult without a mother.

That's why I put "and/or".

[Last edited by Monkey at 04-21-2007 02:30 AM]
04-21-2007 at 02:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I don't have trouble with tarstuff that much. It's my favorite type of element to play with. I'm slowly learning Gel, but the rooms in TCB weren't much trouble for me after 15 minutes or so.
04-21-2007 at 02:52 AM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
I'd have to say plain old Living Tar, because I've not gotten far enough in TCB to encounter Gel yet (have been working through the last few levels of JtRH, and designing my own. Didn't find the mudstuff in JtRH too bad)

But just think though - there's still plenty of other tar-like variants that can be created...

e.g. one I thought up just now - the Conscious Slime. Can be destroyed on either an edge or a corner... but only with a direct sword hit (the type that would break a mirror), swipes don't work. The babies would be evil... for they would act like roaches do when there is a brain in the room. After all, it's *conscious* slime :P (oooh... I like this. *posts idea to main Feature Requests*)

04-21-2007 at 04:19 AM
Daneel
Rank Points: 35
icon Re: Which tarstuff most troublesome to you (+1)  
Ezlo wrote:
I don't have trouble with tarstuff that much. It's my favorite type of element to play with. I'm slowly learning Gel, but the rooms in TCB weren't much trouble for me after 15 minutes or so.

Perhaps part of this is that the architects specifically designed the gel rooms in TCB to NOT be next to impossible to solve.
04-21-2007 at 04:36 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
I'll grant you that gel is newer and so people haven't figured out all the tricks yet, but I think its inherently more difficult to deal with. When mud came out in JtRH, very few people thought it was as difficult to deal with as tar. I think that gel will maintain its trickyness. As noted in another thread, its (likely that) gel clearability is NP complete (they haven't quite finished the proof, but it looks like they will). However, I'll note something else: When you cut gel, you often have two gel babies threatening you orthogonally. This is not the case with tar and mud (at worst, you'll have two threatening you diagonally which is much easier to deal with if your back is to a wall). So even when you CAN cut the gel, you have to make sure that you can get away from it too.

04-21-2007 at 02:08 PM
Jeff_Ray...
Krissan wrote:
There are some tar rooms out there that are insanely hard. And for the record - anyone who ever thought "Hey, let's make a maze/trapdoor puzzle HIDDEN under this tar" needs to go to jail. Please do not spread this abonmination of DROD to gel.

Well, only the evil of the evil will dare do this with no help at all. But there comes the vision token. You can see through the tarstuff with ease, if you have this. But a transparent mod is better.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-21-2007 at 03:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
I voted none, because I'm that cocky.

04-21-2007 at 03:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Well, I voted none, because they're not hard at a point I will start rampaging in the house whenever i see it.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

04-21-2007 at 03:16 PM
Unspeakable
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Gel, because

1) it's easy to get yourself stuck in a position where you can't progress because the only possible cut would get you surrounded and killed by babies

2) in rooms with mothers you often have to place yourself in a specific position and wait for a growth cycle in order to get an opening to cut.
04-21-2007 at 09:53 PM
Monkey
calamarain wrote:

But just think though - there's still plenty of other tar-like variants that can be created...
Really, the sad truth is, that's not true. :weep

04-22-2007 at 04:26 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Monkey wrote:
Really, the sad truth is, that's not true. :weep
Care to share with us why that is?
04-22-2007 at 04:42 AM
starwed
Rank Points: 49
Because the current three form a complete set, in a way: For an arbitrary formation of tar, each given square is cuttable for one and only one of the three types of tar.

The fact that mud and tar behave otherwise the same, while gel/gel babies are different ruins the symmetry some, but it's worth it for puzzle potential, I'd say. :) And obviously new tar types could also behave differently, but the cuttability aspect would have to overlap with one of the existing types. (Although I liked the tar-which-breaks-like-a-mirror variant on the feature request board.)
04-22-2007 at 05:04 AM
Knightmare44
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
Id have to say tar, its not that it is that difficult I just find cutting tar is tedious & boring in some rooms. its usually not to difficult its just time consuming. and I hate the occasional "oops" where a tar baby will spawn behind you & the backspace is pretty much useless because of your placement or sword direction. I dont want to take tar stuff away but if I see holds that have like 9 tar or mud mothers in a room & lots of places to spawn babies I do not think of fun whatsoever
04-22-2007 at 08:14 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
starwed wrote:
Because the current three form a complete set, in a way: For an arbitrary formation of tar, each given square is cuttable for one and only one of the three types of tar.

My alter-ego, Pedantic Man, woke up.

You do mean each given square *not fully surrounded by tarstuff*, right?

04-22-2007 at 02:23 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Brace yourself for the new tarstuff in DROD 4.0 - The Quantum Clay, which can only be cut on squares completely surrounded by tarstuff. How do you achieve that is anyone's guess, current reactions from pre-alpha testers include "that's impossible", "worst tarstuff ever", and "best new feature since walls".

04-22-2007 at 02:36 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
If I had to invent a new tarstuff...off the top of my head, it would be one that can be walked on, but when you take a step off of it, it breaks (like a trapdoor falling), creating babies as appropriate. Obviously this kind would be very easy to clear in theory, but baby placement could make it difficult in enclosed areas. I'm not sure if all monsters could clear it or not, but I kind of like the idea for something that I only came up with when I hit "Reply".

Although the biggest reason not to make a new tarstuff is that they we are almost obligated to make a new serpent of the same color and I don't know that we really need that. :P

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-22-2007 at 02:39 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Oneiromancer wrote:
Although the biggest reason not to make a new tarstuff is that they we are almost obligated to make a new serpent of the same color and I don't know that we really need that. :P
Of course we can just clone that tarstuff idea.

Woudn't moving trapdoors/splitting serpents add a ridiculous amount of puzzle potential? ;)
04-22-2007 at 02:44 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Wait. Gel babies are different from others?
What the crap.

04-22-2007 at 08:48 PM
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
They're immune to hot floor tiles.

04-22-2007 at 09:47 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
No, all tarstuff babies are immune to hot tiles. Gel babies are different because they move like Rock Golems/Wubbas rather than roaches.

04-22-2007 at 09:49 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Which tarstuff most troublesome to you (Which tarstuff do you think is the most troublesome?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com