Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Deadliest Monster
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
In your opinion, what is the deadliest monster in DROD?
Roaches
Roach Queens
Evil Eyes
Wraithwings
Spiders
Goblins
Tar Babies
Tar Mothers
Serpents
Brains
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
IP: Logged
icon The Deadliest Monster (0)  
I posted this on the old forum, and now I have prepared this poll which I believe was impossible to do before. Please add any extra information you would like to give in addition to replying.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
10-12-2003 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: The Deadliest Monster (0)  
Hmmm... I was debating between Tar and Goblins, but decided that tar is the winner, because tar remains a constant threat even to the most experienced players, while goblins are quite managable once you know how.

However, I have sort of a chicken and egg problem regarding tar babies and mothers - tar babies on their own aren't that dangerous, they're basically blue roaches. They are only dangerous because tar mothers can create them behind you. On the other hand, tar mothers aren't dangerous unless they create tar babies. They could potentially block you in a corner, but that doesn't count as being deadly in my book.

So I'm voting for the tar mothers - because if you don't have a mother babies aren't that dangerous, but if you have a mother and no babies, you'll probably end up with both anyway.

10-12-2003 at 11:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
As evidenced by Oneiro's Treasure Chambers or whatever they are, if you can't see it, they'll kill you. (I'm thinking second time back through.)

Then again, all of the monsters are equally deadly, just some have more frequency of kills than others.

10-13-2003 at 01:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
I guess you mean spiders - most people reading this don't know what you voted.

But you can always see spiders. You just have to be patient and wait the 30 seconds or so for them to blink between each move.

10-13-2003 at 06:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
The Architect is the most deadly of dungeon creatures. The creatures are simple weapons to enhance the danger of this rarely seen dungeon inhabitant :)

But, constrained as I was, I voted for the goblin. It's very easy to make a room very difficult with just a few of these (which is why of course people don't do so, generally)

[Edited by StuartK on 10-13-2003 at 03:04 PM GMT]
10-13-2003 at 04:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sergio
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Brains. Imagine if every room had a couple of them :D
11-13-2003 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
As another thread somewhere around here mentions, brains can often make stuff easier, especially for experienced players - a lot of the early brain rooms in Dugan's Dungeon are hard mainly because the player has to relearn monster movement, not because they're hard on their own accord.

11-13-2003 at 07:20 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Goblins and Tar Mothers are neck and neck.....

Come on, someone needs to break the tie. There are nearly 300 members on this forum!

11-26-2003 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Only 111 active members, though. Of course, that many more than actually posted here... But I'm not sure what the definition of an active member is. Maybe it's anyone who ever posted, in which case it will contain many who stopped visiting these pages a long time ago.

It seems you were convincing, though, since there is, at the time of this posting, a 2-vote lead for the mothers.

[Edited by eytanz on 11-26-2003 at 07:56 PM GMT]

11-26-2003 at 07:53 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
It's all about the spiders. Not so much because you can't see them, but because if you spend all the time waiting every move to see where they are you'll eventually snap and jump off a bridge.

11-27-2003 at 05:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Bah. Spiders are nothing more than fancy roaches.

11-27-2003 at 05:38 AM
The_Red_Hawk
You know, when I started this thread, I figured that the most votes would go to either Serpents or Brains. Hmmmm.....

11-27-2003 at 07:02 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Oops. They're tied again. I was really hoping that there would be one particular monster that would emerge above the rest.

11-28-2003 at 06:59 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I think there needs to be a topic for "spiders on Palace floor with Brains in the room".

11-30-2003 at 10:33 PM
The_Red_Hawk
zex20913 wrote:
I think there needs to be a topic for "spiders on Palace floor with Brains in the room".

Well, it's a given that spiders go on a palace floor, and I think all the monsters go as unbrained. Brains are deadly in a different sort of way.

Apparently Erik thinks Brains are the most deadly, because they are the last monster to appear in Dugan's (except the 'Neather).

12-01-2003 at 05:23 PM
eytanz
I don't think brains are last because they're the most deadly. Brains are last because they change the rules, and you have to give people time to get used to the old rules.

Also, neither brains nor tar mothers are really deadly as such - tar mothers are only deadly if there's a way to get the player trapped in tar or if there are many corners that can create babies, and brains are only deadly if the room has enough monsters and it doesn't have any areas brains don't handle well. The reasons I think tar mothers are deadlier than brains are:

A - You can die/get stuck in a room with only a tar mother, but not with only a brain (well, you could get stuck in a room with only a brain if it had a trapdoor puzzle or something, but the brain has nothing to do with that).

B - Once you're used to them, fighting brained monsters isn't much of a problem, unless they come from two or more directions. No matter how used you are to a tar mother, you still need to be careful when there's one around.

12-01-2003 at 06:19 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Erik, what do you think?

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 12-01-2003 at 06:59 PM GMT: Oooh...the mothers are edging in front.....]

12-01-2003 at 06:58 PM
ZZT-X
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I'm on the 14th or 15th level of DROD (whichever one has all those steenkin' trapdoors), but level 8 solidified my hate for tar mothers. They get my vote.

Goblins can be manipulated quite easily, anyways.
12-01-2003 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Erik, what do you think?
Well, it's a hard question to answer because of the many different ways you can look at it. Any monster can be set up in a room such that it is extremely deadly. Goblins almost always need to be used sparingly, usually because they are hard to kill, but other times just because it would make a room boringly repetitive.

If you look at it in terms of, "what monster has killed me the most in my career as a smitemaster?" I think the winner has to be tar mothers.

If we are looking at placing just one monster in a room and the resulting threat from the monster, then on average, placing one brain in a room causes the greatest amount of deadliness. So that is another way to evaluate it.

-Erik

12-01-2003 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: The Deadliest Monster (+1)  
Wouldn't the deadliest monster just be the one directly behind you?

12-01-2003 at 08:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: The Deadliest Monster (+1)  
Not if it's a brain or tar mother.

12-01-2003 at 08:50 PM
The_Red_Hawk
How about the deadliest *mobile* monster?

12-01-2003 at 10:58 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Eytanz wrote:
...111 "active" members, though.

What's the difference between "active" members and "non-active" ones?

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 12-05-2003 at 06:57 PM GMT]

12-04-2003 at 06:55 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
? What does this have to do with the deadliest monster? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-04-2003 at 07:06 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
What's the difference between "active" members and "non-active" ones?
Active members are defined as having visited the site in the last four weeks.

12-04-2003 at 07:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Oneiromancer wrote:
What does this have to do with the deadliest monster?

It was mentioned above, and I decided that this was as good a place as any to ask.....

12-05-2003 at 05:24 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
My apologies, I forgot Eytan mentioned that. Of course, since it was over a week inbetween the two posts you probably should have quoted him to avoid the confusion of people like me who get easily confused. :)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-05-2003 at 05:46 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Sorry, I'll edit that.....

12-05-2003 at 06:55 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Deadliest Monster Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com