Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Importing saves problem
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
IP: Logged
icon Importing saves problem (+1)  
I'm not 100% sure if this is a bug or if I'm misunderstanding how importing works. But it feels like a bug.

I was about halfway through TCB on computer 1, when I exported saves (saves, not the player), and imported them into a player on computer 2. Computer 2 did get all the correct progress - I was halfway through Pirate Hideout when I exported, and after the import, I was halfway through Pirate Hideout. BUT...

...I have no demos on Computer 2 from any of the rooms completed on Computer 1. (This is not the demo-not-recording bug, the demos all exist on Computer 1.)
...All of the secret rooms I completed on Computer 1 are considered unconquered on Computer 2. (Also the first time I enter them I get the "Secret Room!" text as if it's the first time I'd ever been there - but they DO show up as discovered on the minimap.)

The player ids on the two computers are different (if I understand how player ids work - neither computers' player was created by importing from the other computer). Computer 1 is a Linux, Computer 2 is Windows. The behavior is reproducable across multiple export/import attempts.

[Last edited by Remlin at 04-17-2007 09:16 AM]
04-17-2007 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Importing saves problem (+1)  
Remlin wrote:
...I have no demos on Computer 2 from any of the rooms completed on Computer 1. (This is not the demo-not-recording bug, the demos all exist on Computer 1.)
Well, at least this one is not a bug.

Saves-only exports are just that - saves only. Demos only get exported when doing a full export.

04-17-2007 at 10:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Importing saves problem (0)  
At least some of this is normal behaviour.

The Export saves only feature is there to enable the player to merge progress from two different player profiles. Your demos are not exported (hence the "saves only") when doing this.

Exporting your player exports both your player profile (key command settings, CaravelNet settings, editor and game settings, export and import directories, etc.), your saves for that profile and all your demos.

I'm not sure what's up with the secret rooms, though. AFAIK, they should show up as conquered (if you've conquered them) even when exporting just the saves and not your entire player...

04-17-2007 at 10:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
IIRC, the 'Secret Room' text is always displayed when you enter a secret room that you haven't visited before on that particular savegame.

Go to the Restore screen. Do any of the levels on which you've beat secret rooms have incorrect numbers?
04-17-2007 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Remlin
From the restore screen, what I'm generally seeing on computer 2 is "Explored, 100%, Secrets, 0/1" on levels that I've completed the secret room on computer 1.

Regarding exporting saves not exporting the demos as well... so how do I get demos from computer 1 to a player on computer 2?
04-17-2007 at 05:17 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
By exporting the entire player, or by downloading them off of CaravelNet. I don't think there's a way to easily change a demo's player ID.
04-17-2007 at 05:19 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Remlin
Bumping this because as of 3.02 revision 2, I'm still having this problem. My original bug report was a bit muddled, so to be clear:

After exporting saves from one installation of TCB and importing them into a player in another installation, all secret rooms conquered in the former show up as explored but unconquered in the latter.
04-28-2007 at 02:25 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Remlin wrote:
Bumping this because as of 3.02 revision 2, I'm still having this problem. My original bug report was a bit muddled, so to be clear:

After exporting saves from one installation of TCB and importing them into a player in another installation, all secret rooms conquered in the former show up as explored but unconquered in the latter.
I think there was a bug here -- records of secret rooms conquered after the original playthrough on later "mop-up sessions" probably aren't included in the saved game records that get exported. Same goes for "hold conquer" records. I've fixed this so these types of player progress information should be exported properly by "Export Saves Only" in 3.1.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 07-28-2007 08:48 PM]
07-28-2007 at 08:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
cjfoster
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
I seem to be having the same problem described above.

I have TCB 3.2.0.83 installed at home and at work, both windows. I've been playing JtRH in the TCB engine, using "Export Saves Only" to keep my progress up-to-date between the two machines. This worked well until I finished the game and moved on to the "secret room mop-up sessions". I see the same behavior as above - Explored: 100% Secrets Conquered: 0/1

One answer of course is to stop playing DROD at work (ha ha). Really though, I can just complete all the secrets on my home computer - but it would be cool if transferring savegames included secrets.

Thanks for any help!
05-29-2009 at 04:05 PM
Briareos
cjfoster wrote:
One answer of course is to stop playing DROD at work (ha ha). Really though, I can just complete all the secrets on my home computer - but it would be cool if transferring savegames included secrets.
I'm pretty sure you're not meant to use "Export saves only" for this, as it'll disassociate your progress from your user id so you can import it for any user, but not to gain high-scores.

What you're supposed to do to keep two installations in sync is to do a full export on one machine, import it on another (so you'll have the same user id on both machines) then also use full exports to merge your progress from one into the other.

If you've already got two different user id's (i.e. if you created two player accounts even with the same name) it's going to get tricky...

05-29-2009 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
cjfoster
Briareos wrote:
What you're supposed to do to keep two installations in sync is to do a full export on one machine, import it on another (so you'll have the same user id on both machines) then also use full exports to merge your progress from one into the other.

If you've already got two different user id's (i.e. if you created two player accounts even with the same name) it's going to get tricky...
Thanks for the reply.

I have one CaravelNet name, and both installations use it. I learned elsewhere in the forums that each installation would need its own CaravelNet Key. So I think I have one account, two keys.

I will try doing a full export to see if that helps.
05-29-2009 at 07:05 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
cjfoster, I think you are seeing this bug. Schep's fix will be in the next official patch for TCB.
05-29-2009 at 09:27 PM
cjfoster
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
cjfoster, I think you are seeing this bug. Schep's fix will be in the next official patch for TCB.
I bet you're right - thanks. I was just about to post an update saying that a full export unfortunately didn't fix the problem.
05-29-2009 at 09:33 PM
Briareos
icon Re: Importing saves problem (+2)  
cjfoster wrote:
I have one CaravelNet name, and both installations use it. I learned elsewhere in the forums that each installation would need its own CaravelNet Key. So I think I have one account, two keys.

I will try doing a full export to see if that helps.
Ummm... your CaravelNet account doesn't correlate with your user ID in the game - every user you create in the game (no matter if you're using CaravelNet or not) gets assigned a random ID that is used to identify it as the author of a demo or hold.

You can submit progress from several user IDs to a single CaravelNet account, but if you want to keep all your progress AND demos together in a single user (player) account on several machines, you'll have to make sure both users have the same ID by always importing a full export of said user on other machines after installing DROD instead of creating a new player (same name or not) on first startup of the game.

np: Justus Koehncke - Was Ist Musik? (Was Ist Musik?)

05-29-2009 at 11:24 PM
cjfoster
It sounds like I'll need the newest build to fix the secret room problem, and to switch to full exports to keep things in sync generally. Thanks for the tips!
05-30-2009 at 08:00 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Importing saves problem
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No