Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TCB turned spyware? (Corrupted player.dat)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Astronaut
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 21
IP: Logged
icon TCB turned spyware? (0)  
(First of all, I should clarify that the subject should probably have a ;-) at the end, as I'm not actually accusing TCB of being spyware.)

I had a rather spectacular bluescreen crash into immediate reboot while playing TCB, and I feared that I'd lost the five hours of progress I'd made since last reboot, including entire AF and UL. Turned out, however, things were far worse. On restart, DROD kindly asked me to enter my name or import existing .player-file. Trying to import an old .player-file caused crash to desktop. I tried creating a new player, same result.

In short, I had a corrupted data file. (Some trial and error with data files from a clean install showed that player.dat was the one to blame.)

Normally, I would've left it with this, banged my head against the wall a couple of times for losing all my TCB progress and started over again. But just for fun, I decided I'd have a look at player.dat in a text editor. What I found, was unexpected, puzzling and slightly disturbing: Attached at the bottom was my entire internet history, with full log over all pages visited.

I'm using Opera, which has a very neat session recovery function in case of a system crash, so my best guess is that this information was being saved by Opera when it detected an imminent crash. But how did it get into player.dat? I'm assuming it isn't normal behaviour for TCB to collect information on my visited Internet pages?

(On a side note, I don't suppose there's any way for me to repair my player.dat?)

04-16-2007 at 03:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: TCB turned spyware? (+1)  
Hmmm... my guess would be that something that was collecting all your internet history (quite possibly your browser) was appended to it at the time due to the crash. (I don't know much about NTFS, but if some cluster addresses got rewritten wrong that could probably do it). I could come up with a theory as to why this happened, but it also means that there's hope. If you delete everything past the point where the internet records start, the data may work again. I suggest you also look at data.dat - is that harmed at all?
04-16-2007 at 03:47 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Astronaut
icon Re: TCB turned spyware? (0)  
coppro wrote:
Hmmm... my guess would be that something that was collecting all your internet history (quite possibly your browser) was appended to it at the time due to the crash. (I don't know much about NTFS, but if some cluster addresses got rewritten wrong that could probably do it).
That's my best guess as well. The disc is FAT32, by the way, if that makes any difference.

Problem with keeping everything in player.dat above the internet records is that I'm having a hard time figuring out where the real player.dat ends and the nonsense begins. It's all jibberish, with the only plaintext being the internet addresses.

Data.dat is unharmed, identical to the one made on a new install.

04-16-2007 at 04:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Try getting rid of all the addresses and see if it works. It won't hurt. Will it? :|
04-16-2007 at 04:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Astronaut wrote:
That's my best guess as well. The disc is FAT32, by the way, if that makes any difference.

Problem with keeping everything in player.dat above the internet records is that I'm having a hard time figuring out where the real player.dat ends and the nonsense begins. It's all jibberish, with the only plaintext being the internet addresses.

Data.dat is unharmed, identical to the one made on a new install.
I'd suggest deleting at least all of the plaintext, because DROD stores it's data as binary. I think that attempting to figure out the rest of the data would be harsh, as you'd need to figure out where the file format ends. Most likely there's a bunch of null bytes somewhere that would indicate the break between the two files, IIRC FAT32 stores everything in areas that are a multiple of the block size, usually 4K. So you'd probably find some extra space there. Unfortunately, a plain text editor is probably no help.
04-16-2007 at 04:12 AM
Astronaut
Wow, I think I did it!

I went in with a hexadecimal binary file editor and looked for places with lots of null bytes, deleting everything below. On the third attempt, it looks like it worked. Here I thought I'd have to start TCB all over again, and all I lost of my progress was one room! :thumbsup

Thanks a lot for the help, guys!

(It's getting increasingly obvious to me that the bugs forum was the wrong place to post this, as it can hardly be considered a bug when DROD crashes because your browser filled player.dat with heaps of random junk. I've been suspecting the disk / file system of being damaged before, I guess this incident proves I was correct. *exports player file and saves it on another disk* )

04-16-2007 at 01:09 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Astronaut wrote:
Wow, I think I did it!

I went in with a hexadecimal binary file editor and looked for places with lots of null bytes, deleting everything below. On the third attempt, it looks like it worked. Here I thought I'd have to start TCB all over again, and all I lost of my progress was one room! :thumbsup

Thanks a lot for the help, guys!

(It's getting increasingly obvious to me that the bugs forum was the wrong place to post this, as it can hardly be considered a bug when DROD crashes because your browser filled player.dat with heaps of random junk. I've been suspecting the disk / file system of being damaged before, I guess this incident proves I was correct. *exports player file and saves it on another disk* )
Wow, I'm glad (and surprised) that worked! Good job making a player backup right away.

Here's the official word -- DROD doesn't record or examine anything you do outside the game itself. I don't know much about how the OS handles low-level interface operations, but I can say what the guys above mention sounds as good to me as anything. DROD's data files are memory-mapped, and that means certain types of badness happening somewhere immediately before a crash could make badness happen with DROD's .dat files with specific software/hardware configurations. Nothing DROD can really monitor, of course.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-16-2007 04:37 PM]
04-16-2007 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
mrimer wrote:
Here's the official word -- DROD doesn't record or examine anything you do outside the game itself.
DROD send OS name (without version) via CaravelNet though. ;)
04-18-2007 at 07:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Of course it would - it's a standard HTTP request, which when I last checked does require some information such as OS.
04-18-2007 at 02:21 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Who the hell keeps modding Coppro down? There is absolutely no way that that particular post deserved that.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 04-19-2007 06:26 AM]
04-19-2007 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
I didn't mod him down. I can assure him, however, that http/1.0 and http/1.1 do not require OS information. In http version 1.1, there isn't even an optional field for OS specification:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec5.html#sec5.3

the closest is user-agent, but that only describes the browser, not the platform

[Last edited by silver at 04-19-2007 07:45 AM]
04-19-2007 at 07:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : TCB turned spyware? (Corrupted player.dat)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com